A few thoughts on the Spectral DMA-360 Series 2's

mullard88

Jun 5, 2010
Hi Husk,

I'm sorry I can not give you an answer on that. I have never been near an MBL101E.

mullard88

Jun 5, 2010
Hi ack,

I can't recall exactly when I bought the DMA 360 series 2 but a good guess would anytime between late 2008 and 2009. And yes, the forcelines were used when I listened to the FMA. Just remembered something interesting... About a quarter of a century ago, Manny Huber came to my home with an FM Acoustic 300 amp to try on my Acoustat 2+2 speakers. He was so amused that I had MIT CVT cables. He kept looking at them and in so many words suggested that cables do not matter and that I just wasted money purchasing cables. Interestingly, now he markets cables and tells his customers to use them with his electronics.

ack

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
Interestingly, now he markets cables and tells his customers to use them with his electronics.

Well, we all grow professionally, don't we :) Like Spectral, he must have eventually realized there is exactly one set of cable characteristics (specs) for the length of cable purchased that provide the exact optimum operation, and he's even gone to the extent of using custom connectors so you won't easily use another cable. Same for the power cord, which is not detachable. That's not to say that other cables are FAR from optimum, just that they are NOT optimum. Personally, I have absolutely no problem with someone *competent* calculating the exact spec for cables for me, and I would gladly be in the minority... BTW, FMA have a couple of articles on why speaker cables must be matched exactly with their amps (here and here).

Coincidentally, someone on the net contacted me recently because he was unhappy with the higher-end MIT speaker cables he's using, and he was convinced to go "lower" to the Spectral-spec'ed 770UL Series 2 for his pair of 360's. Not surprisingly, he complained about the same issues I had identified when I auditioned the Magnum MA and other expensive ones like it (e.g. bloating, and other distortions). So what do you use for speaker cables?

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Well, we all grow professionally, don't we :) Like Spectral, he must have eventually realized there is exactly one set of cable characteristics (specs) for the length of cable purchased that provide the exact optimum operation, and he's even gone to the extent of using custom connectors so you won't easily use another cable. Same for the power cord, which is not detachable. That's not to say that other cables are FAR from optimum, just that they are NOT optimum. Personally, I have absolutely no problem with someone *competent* calculating the exact spec for cables for me, and I would gladly be in the minority... BTW, FMA have a couple of articles on why speaker cables must be matched exactly with their amps (here and here).

Coincidentally, someone on the net contacted me recently because he was unhappy with the higher-end MIT speaker cables he's using, and he was convinced to go "lower" to the Spectral-spec'ed 770UL Series 2 for his pair of 360's. Not surprisingly, he complained about the same issues I had identified when I auditioned the Magnum MA and other expensive ones like it (e.g. bloating, and other distortions). So what do you use for speaker cables?

Peter: That hasn't been my experience with the newest MIT cables. In fact, their phono cable is the best I've auditioned and by a large margin at that. Maybe what you're hearing is some interaction specific to Spectral?

ack

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
Myles,

I don't know, but probably. But the main point is still the same - some manufacturers care to stand up and spec their own cables and stick to their guns, and I can see the technical point.

mimesis

Sep 26, 2010
Hi Ack,

Working on a new rack and finalizing what will go where. Right now, the gear is in the rack. And on the floor. And off to the side. In the living room. Needless to say, it's unphotographable.

mullard88

Jun 5, 2010
Hi ack,

I'm sure he eventually realized that his amps sound better and that he will have more control over how his amps will sound if he matches them to his own speaker cables. I have heard his Forcelines connected to a Spectral amp and I tell you it's not bad at all. I have an FM Acoustic 155 line stage, the power cord is detachable but it is difficult to swap in an after market power cord as the termination has four pins instead of the usual three pins.

Last time I looked at my speaker cables, it was the MIT Oracle V1.

phillipK

Oct 23, 2010
I upgraded from the 360 and was very happy. Recently, I have heard the Soulution 710 on a pair of Magico's Q5. I am re-evaluating...

sydsrig

Oct 7, 2010
Ft. Lauderdale, FL
I've tried a variety of gear. Goldmund (preamp and Telos amps) and Boulder. I still like the Boulder gear very much. The 101E journey began with an Accuphase preamp and first Brinkmann amps (no go), then an Audia Flight 100 camp (seemed to have restrained dynamics but very smooth). From there I tried Lamm M1.2 amps (I had previously owned M1.1s and ML1.1s on other speakers) and those were okay - bought a Boulder 1060 and tri-amped for a while. A 2060 came up, sold off the amps and that made a major difference. Actually, to get the chronology straight, I tried a Boulder preamp first, with the Lamms, and then decided to get the 1060. In the end I will have the Boulder gear on the 101s and the Spectral gear will probably move to power Piega CL90x speakers. Now I have yet to try this last set up as I have been enjoying the Spectral gear on the 101s too much to change them out.

Are you still running the 101E's with the 360's? I'm curious to know whether they are powerfull enough to drive those 82db inefficient MBLs and whether you have any further insight into how the sound has evolved over the last few months.

mimesis

Sep 26, 2010
Still running the 101Es and the 360S2 are fine for powering the speakers adequately beyond any listening level I can endure without damaging my hearing. I have Boulder gear as well and between a heavy travel schedule and reinserting the Boulder gear I've not listened to the Spectral gear on the 101Es the last 10 weeks. I'll put the system back and get back to you on what I'm hearing.

mullard88

Jun 5, 2010
Ack,

Just a comment on your second paragraph, post # 23: I also have a pair of MIT magnum speaker cables. In my experience, the magnum cables sound better with tube power amps. On the Spectral amps, I prefer the oracle over the magnum. On the Spectral amps, the oracle resolve more with more weight and focus than the magnum.

sydsrig

Oct 7, 2010
Ft. Lauderdale, FL
Still running the 101Es and the 360S2 are fine for powering the speakers adequately beyond any listening level I can endure without damaging my hearing. I have Boulder gear as well and between a heavy travel schedule and reinserting the Boulder gear I've not listened to the Spectral gear on the 101Es the last 10 weeks. I'll put the system back and get back to you on what I'm hearing.

Just wanted to check in and see if you ever put the 360S2's back on the MBL's and how that all turned out sonically. I am also curios to know what you front end is...

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing