A Comparison Between iPhone, Droid, Blackberry Torch And Microsoft Phone

David Pogue of NYT has a nice write up on Windows Phone: http://www.fresnobee.com/2010/10/27/2135521/windows-phone-7-is-loaded-with.html

"Windows Phone 7 shows some real genius, but it is missing an embarrassingly long list of features that are standard on iPhone and Android.
Ready?
There's no copy and paste. No folders for organizing your apps. No way to add new ringtones. No way to send videos to other phones as MMS messages. No video chat.

Like the iPhone, the Web browser doesn't play Flash videos on the Web -- but it also won't play the HTML5 videos that the iPhone plays, or even videos in Microsoft's own Silverlight format. So, no YouTube, no Hulu, no online news videos.

But the WP7 is a 1.0 release in a good way, too. It's a complete rethinking of app phone software design. Somehow, Microsoft has pulled off the inconceivably difficult task of coming up with a fresh, joyous, beautiful new software design that doesn't look anything like iPhone or Android....."

So as he says, Windows Phone is one to watch. Some of the better people at Microsoft are now in there. Coming behind two successful competitors is hard though. I don't know if Microsoft is still charging for the OS. If it is (and Google doesn't), then I don't think it will ever succeed. The PC world is a two-horse race. Can this market handle 3+? I am not sure.

Personally, I think any OS that doesn't offer multi-tasking is not an OS! So it certainly is not for me right now.

In the end, smart phones are about the software that will run on them, and as long as the hardware is not a major impediment to software implementation, it is a secondary issue at best. This puts everything without an i in front of it at a serious disadvantage, playing a long, hard game of catch-up.

Tim

Indeed. And developers are ruthless in the way they follow the winners. Test and development time balloons when you have to support multiple platforms. And the ROI diminishes rapidly as you go down the volume curve. This is why I said only two PC platforms survived. In gaming we have three but Nintendo is an exception by having its own in house game developers. Ditto for Microsoft by a small extent. So maybe three can be supported. Hard to imagine more than that.

So what are people's thoughts about RIM's Blackberry offerings?

John

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing