A CD ready from our tape

c1ferrari

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 15, 2010
Just picked-up

I was just listening at Ki's yesterday to the CD and the tape of the Beethoven Cello Sonata. We first put on the CD and we both agreed it was a fine recording. We then spooled up the tape and then the system disappeared and all that was left was the music/performers in our space. It went from a good recording to a 'musical event'. Absolutely stunning and I heartily recommend the tape to all members with a tape deck.

Rich

Beethoven on NAB...looking forward to hearing it :)

c1ferrari

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 15, 2010
Affirmative

Hi Sam,

did you pull the trigger?

Ed and Tony wanted to confirm that my machine would play their tape without distortion...I expect the Studer will reproduce it, perfectly; albeit without valve electronics ;-)

Looking forward to hearing it...I'll have to switch back to 1/4"...been enjoying 1/2" playback, recently! :)

U47

Apr 23, 2010
Portland, Oregon
www.reeltapes.net
Tape just arrived from UltraAnalog. Beethoven Cello Sonata #3

Just played it back on my B grade deck and it sounds amazing! Can't wait to try it on the King/Cello rig. IT is amazingly quiet and pristine. Lovely music and decent performance as well. About to put on another of Tony and Ed's tapes in a couple of minutes.

Bill and I will likely be demoing some of these at the upcoming AXPONA hifi show in JAX next month on both the King/Cello and TubeGuru tape rigs. Bill is going to be bringing the big Bastanis speakers(18 inch powered subs with twin 12s per side for mids and horn tweeters) as well as the TubeGuru interstage transformer coupled 300B amps and Ikeda arm/cartridge combo on a reworked Garrard 401.

Thanks Tony and Ed for producing a lovely recording of some great music. I like this a lot more than 'girl with a banjo' :)

Rich

Last edited:

Ki Choi

Member Sponsor
May 13, 2010
Seattle WA area
Just played it back on my B grade deck and it sounds amazing! Can't wait to try it on the King/Cello rig. IT is amazingly quiet and pristine. Lovely music and decent performance as well. About to put on another of Tony and Ed's tapes in a couple of minutes.

Bill and I will likely be demoing some of these at the upcoming AXPONA hifi show in JAX next month on both the King/Cello and TubeGuru tape rigs. Bill is going to be bringing the big Bastanis speakers(18 inch powered subs with twin 12s per side for miss and horn tweeters) as well as the TubeGuru interstage transformer coupled 300B amps and Ikeda arm/cartridge combo on a reworked Garrard 401.

Thanks Tony and Ed for producing a lovely recording of some great music. I like this a lot more than 'girl with a banjo' :)

Rich

Even though your machine is a B grade, you do have a pair of A grade ears. ;-) I agree 100% with what you heard.

It proves that not just the master dubs of old recordings but these original tapes as high-end audio media do have a place with audiophiles and the excitement around it isn't just a fad.

Hope to see more original recordings on tapes from Ed and other sources with stellar sonic!

tony ky ma

Industry Expert
Aug 21, 2010
Whitby Ontario Canada
Hi Rich
Thank you very much for the commend, I wonder what sound will be if to use Bill's tube repro pre-amp of R2R, because the tape was recorded by tube gear and content unlimited information by analogue recording, so better system can hear more, we will have more recordings in this year

tony ma

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing