42-The Jackie Robinson Story

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
I saw this film yesterday, and, although far from being a great movie I found it interesting and quite enjoyable giving it a 7/10. The story although quite superficial, nonetheless painted the story of the great number 42 as he was brought into the National League by Branch Rickey the owner of the Brooklyn Dodgers at the time. It brings to light the true story of Robinson as the first African American to play in the major leagues and the repercussions that it caused. The story shows the trials and tribulations of an otherwise head strong and often pugilistic Jackie Robinson. It shows his mentoring by Branch Rickey who encouraged Robinson not to fight but to turn the other cheek. This he did and slowly his great baseball skills brought him the notoriety and fame that he deserved as a baseball player.

The story is one of those feel good films (such as The Blind Side) but tells the story in a quickly moving fashion. Chadwick Boseman who plays Robinson has an uncanny resemblance to him. For me one of the standouts in the film was, believe it or not, Harrison Ford who plays Branch Rickey. I thought it was a stellar performance that might bring him an Oscar nomination for Best supporting Actor.

The film is just over 2 hours and will in that time show a time of racial segregation in this country which was nothing short of shameful and how one man changed that. Very inspirational and worth seeing

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing