3D Blu-Ray player + old surround processor + HDMI fed flat TV

kach22i

WBF Founding Member
Apr 21, 2010
Ann Arbor, Michigan
www.kachadoorian.com
I know that I can pick up a low end 3D ready surround receiver for +$250 ($600 is much better for my needs though), but what if....................

What if I on my Sony BDP-S580 Blu-ray player with RCA R/L outputs I designate the audio portion to go to my 10 year old Rotel 1066 surround processor (it's doing this now with it's internal functions), and then designate the 2D and or 3D video portion of the signal to digitally go to the yet to be purchased plasma TV via the HDMI output?

I read the owner's manual on the Blu-Ray player, and in theory it seems possible. However, I'd like to know if anyone is doing this or think it's possible.

Kal Rubinson

May 4, 2010
NYC
www.stereophile.com
I know that I can pick up a low end 3D ready surround receiver for +$250 ($600 is much better for my needs though), but what if....................

What if I on my Sony BDP-S580 Blu-ray player with RCA R/L outputs I designate the audio portion to go to my 10 year old Rotel 1066 surround processor (it's doing this now with it's internal functions), and then designate the 2D and or 3D video portion of the signal to digitally go to the yet to be purchased plasma TV via the HDMI output?

I read the owner's manual on the Blu-Ray player, and in theory it seems possible. However, I'd like to know if anyone is doing this or think it's possible.

Yes, this can be done but you do not have the option of playing any of the HD surround formats nor, even, any discrete surround at all. I would consider using the Sony's coax digital output into the Rotel. No HD sound but discrete surround.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
---Kal is right just above.

* With a new 3D HDTV, the HDMI Out from your Sony BDP-S580 BD 3D player goes directly to one of the the HDMI In of your new 3D HDTV.
Then just connect the digital Coaxial or Optical Out of your Sony BD player to the digital In of your Rotel surround processor.

You'll get the full 3D high def picture, but you'll get only Dolby Digital or DTS (compressed audio) 5.1 multichannel.

- A new surround processor, with the latest (HDMI 1.4) would be your best choice for high res audio (uncompressed).
Even a receiver like the Onkyo TX-NR818 would be a great choice because it has all of that, plus Audyssey MultEQ XT32 (highly regarded and very sophisticated Room EQ), Audyssey DSX, and a whole lot more. ...Plus the street price is roughly $749, I believe (it lists for $1,200).

Or, you can get a nice surround processor like an Integra DHC-40.3 or their latest (DHC-40.4).
MSRP is $1,200 USD. But it won't have XT32 though. But I'm not sure regarding the latest 40.4 pre/pro. ...I would have to check their website.

And like you said George, you can get a much cheaper receiver that would get you there (one HDMI cable only, for both high def picture and high res audio).
Six hundred bucks is good, much better than $250. That means the list price could be up to $1,800 (like the Sherwood Newcastle R-972, brand new, with a 3-year warranty, and TRINNOV). ...At A4L (Accessories4Less). And it costs only $599.99, but I don't think it does 3D though (so you would need a BD player like the Sony BDP-S790 with two HDMI Outs; costs only $180 street). ...Still that's 67% off! And it's brand NEW, plus 3-year warranty, plus the very hush-hush (high tech) TRINNOV Room Correction & EQ (you've got to read reviews and forums though to be up-to-date with that very particular A/V receiver).

...Or close enough, in that kind of line (caliber).

...Onkyo TX-NR3007 (2009 model) = $770 (list is $2,100). ...XT only.
I prefer the Onkyo TX-NR818 though (2012 model and with XT32). & it's $749 (A4L).
*** The 818 would make an awesome pre/pro, IMO. ...But it happens that it also has amplification for seven channels! Actually it is a 7.2-channel receiver, with two Sub Outs.
=> Check Onkyo's own website, and check the 818's own threads over at AVS Forum. Me I already did, and that is exactly why I mentioned it here to you (plus I know a thing or two personally about Onkyo/Integra products for the last thirty years or more; and in particular in the last six years). ...With Denon products too.

Anything else? :b

Last edited:

kach22i

WBF Founding Member
Apr 21, 2010
Ann Arbor, Michigan
www.kachadoorian.com
I would consider using the Sony's coax digital output into the Rotel. No HD sound but discrete surround.

I'm feeling sort of stupid right now, been reading the Rotel manual. It appears that I could have, should have been using the coaxial connection 10 years ago, even with my old DVD player.

That said, the R/L + video RCA's on the Blu-Ray player to the Rotel has been giving me darn good sound for many months now. I have no complaints.

I have no experience with "discrete surround" and I'm debating if it's really worth an extra $2,000 (new processor costs), or even $600 (new 3D receiver).

---Kal is right just above.

* With a new 3D HDTV, the HDMI Out from your Sony BDP-S580 BD 3D player goes directly to one of the the HDMI In of your new 3D HDTV.
Then just connect the digital Coaxial or Optical Out of your Sony BD player to the digital In of your Rotel surround processor.

You'll get the full 3D high def picture, but you'll get only Dolby Digital or DTS (compressed audio) 5.1 multichannel.

I think to get started, 3D high def picture with Dolby Digital or DTS (compressed audio) 5.1 multichannel will just have to do. Later on I can shop to upgrade, but by then I bet there will be another format standard introduced. I cannot see spending big money with the rate of change being as rapid as it is.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
---Got you George; you'll be just fine doing what you just said above. :b

* Another option ;) is to have a BD player with multichannel analog Out.
Your Rotel surround processor; does it have multichannel analog In?
And if it does it certainly don't do any bass management there.

But it means more money to be spent because your present Sony BD player is out of the equation now; you would need another player like an Oppo BDP-93 ($499) for example.
And then, the bass management is far from being state-of-the-art, in that player.

*** Might as well stick with your Sony 580's digital Coaxial or Optical Out. :b

If I was rich ....

Kal Rubinson

May 4, 2010
NYC
www.stereophile.com
I'm feeling sort of stupid right now, been reading the Rotel manual. It appears that I could have, should have been using the coaxial connection 10 years ago, even with my old DVD player.
Yup.

That said, the R/L + video RCA's on the Blu-Ray player to the Rotel has been giving me darn good sound for many months now. I have no complaints.
OK but you could do better with S/PDIF.

I have no experience with "discrete surround" and I'm debating if it's really worth an extra $2,000 (new processor costs), or even $600 (new 3D receiver).
Discrete surround, but no HD, is available to you at no cost.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing