30 years ago tomorrow 'Nevermind' was released.....

Zero000

Jul 28, 2014
I introduced it to a good friend who said "there's just something about it' after incessantly listening to it over many months. So well said, I think.

Listen to it and form your own opinions.

At the end of the day it is just music. And there's not much we can do about it apart from like the stuff we like until we drop dead.

:)

Reactions: Mike Lavigne

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
I always play this game with the youngins.
Make a list of all the great bands post 1980 and I ll make a list of the same before 1980. The results are startling. Post is very very few
me too.

i think if you were to go back to 1980 or 1981 forward, "Nevermind" would still be the most impactful although maybe 'Thriller' might be a contender for the music business side of the impact question. but creatively Thriller did not change the course of music in that same way. but it was significant.

i'm no great fan of Michael Jackson or Thriller for that matter, but can't argue with the impact.

prior to 1980 there were a number of very impactful albums. but let someone start another thread about that.

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010
I introduced it to a good friend who said "there's just something about it' after incessantly listening to it over many months. So well said, I think.

Listen to it and form your own opinions.

At the end of the day it is just music. And there's not much we can do about it apart from like the stuff we like until we drop dead.

:)
i will investigate it and see what i think.

thanks.

XV-1

May 24, 2010
Sydney
Nevermind back in 1991 was absolutely awesome.
I had tickets to see Nirvana in Sydney at their 2nd gig at a pub close to where I lived. They played their first concert, then the album went to #1 overnight in the USA. Kurt then claimed he had a bad throat, cancelled the 2nd gig and flew back to the states.
Not happy I missed out!!

1991 was a superb year for music
For me Primal Scream - Screamadelica and Teenage Fanclub - Bandwagonesque were more important albums to me.

More amazing albums from 1991
Smashing Pumpkins Gish
My Bloody Valentine Loveless
St Etienne - Fox base Alpha
The Psychedelic Furs World Outside
Red Hot Chilli Pepper BSSM

And of course one of the most influential albums
Massive Attack Blue Lines

Mike

VIP/Donor
Jan 28, 2012
Madison, New Jersey
I had tickets to see Nirvana in Sydney at their 2nd gig at a pub close to where I lived. They played their first concert, then the album went to #1 overnight in the USA. Kurt then claimed he had a bad throat, cancelled the 2nd gig and flew back to the states.
Not happy I missed out!!

For me Primal Scream - Screamadelica and Teenage Fanclub - Bandwagonesque were more important albums to me.

Smashing Pumpkins Gish

Primal Scream and Teenage Fanclub - 2 good Glasgow bands.

Reactions: XV-1

dan31

Jul 22, 2010
SF Bay
Not happy I missed out!!

Smashing Pumpkins Gish

Fox Base Alpha is a favorite

XV-1

May 24, 2010
Sydney

Chop

Aug 9, 2020
England
fair enough.

name a more musically impactful Album since 1991?

i realize that a question like that is completely a matter of opinion. but throw one out there.
How about Radiohead's OK Computer?

Reactions: KeithR

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010
How about Radiohead's OK Computer?

it seems certainly a standout of the 90's. significant. widespread popularity for sure. level of actual impact? not in the realm of Nevermind to the music trends, music business, or culture. maybe in GB it was? i don't have that sense.

did it define an era and did the young listeners identify with it? not really at all like Nevermind. 25 years from now which one will people remember?

30 years from it's release i guess we observe how the popular press reacts. what did they say at 25 years? if they said anything i missed it.

Reactions: Al M.

Chop

Aug 9, 2020
England
it seems certainly a standout of the 90's. significant. widespread popularity for sure. level of actual impact? not in the realm of Nevermind to the music trends, music business, or culture. maybe in GB it was? i don't have that sense.

did it define an era and did the young listeners identify with it? not really at all like Nevermind. 25 years from now which one will people remember?

30 years from it's release i guess we observe how the popular press reacts. what did they say at 25 years? if they said anything i missed it.
Well, over here people certainly seem to regard OK Computer as defining an era and people of that generation identified with that sense of alienation. I would suggest that OKC is as important as Nevermind here, but that might just be me. Completely different music!
FWIW, OKC is consistently considered to be the best album of the 90's (though I appreciate "best" isn't quite what you are saying..

dminches

Oct 22, 2011
I would put Alanis Morrisette’s “Jagged Little Pill” in the upper echelon of impact for that era. More than “Nevermind”? I can’t say.

• Haha

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
Well, over here people certainly seem to regard OK Computer as defining an era and people of that generation identified with that sense of alienation. I would suggest that OKC is as important as Nevermind here, but that might just be me. Completely different music!
FWIW, OKC is consistently considered to be the best album of the 90's (though I appreciate "best" isn't quite what you are saying..
Late the show here but my 2 cents-

Radiohead is prob equivalent to the Beatles of our time. Creep was as big a hit during the grunge years as other songs. OKC and Kid A are genre defining albums. Kid A probably has more of an effect than any album since. In Rainbows later was downloadable for free, becoming the first big album to break the record company monopoly. Again, before streaming etc. It also topped the charts.

Love Nirvana and Nevermind on cassette was on repeat as a teenager, but have to say now Radiohead did more for music.

benito

Jul 23, 2018
France
77s UK punk had more impact on music than 91s Seattle grunge. How many world top bands showed off after the grunge, not a lot. For the 77s UK punk : The Police (Sting), Joe Jackson, The Cure, Elvis Costello, Joy Division among others.

The UK punk can be resumed to the Sex Pistols, the first The Clash and The Stranglers albums was not as good and with out the Never Mind The Bollocks, they have been dissapered.

The Clash created latter one of the more iconical rock album: London Calling.

I was a teen when UK punk showed off, never heard before. I was influenced by my older brothers ans sister music (Pink Floyd, Deep Purple, Led Zep, Beatles, Dylan, Neil Young, ...). I switched immediately. I still have some albums that I bought late 70's or early 80's. I was not so impressed by Nirvana's Nivermind when it has been released mainly because I knew the UK punk.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing