2 Channel Tone control system

flez007

Member Sponsor
Aug 31, 2010
Mexico City
Congrats!

Maybe someday you'll graduate to the Mothership!!

Coooooool stuff! What a toy!!! (I know it is a darn serious studio, but I can help but thinking of myself playing around all those knobs! )

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
Okay,

Here is the setup on it's own wheeled trolley. This eq represents "Freedom". No longer am I stuck with the source sound, especially when listening to CD's. The added bass extension and added air one can add makes a real difference. I't's like removing the compression/normalization opening the music up similar to what one experiences listening to hi rez 24 bit or DSD. Here is another pro studio demo by Henry Hirsch...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O1NJt3sedSY

My implementation:

flez007

Member Sponsor
Aug 31, 2010
Mexico City
Nice toy Christian, did you have to re-route your cabling setup or just inserted an extra loop between the preamp and amp? Are you sacrifying something vital since you started using the eq in the system? Do you have to change settings from source to source?

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
Nice toy Christian, did you have to re-route your cabling setup or just inserted an extra loop between the preamp and amp? Are you sacrifying something vital since you started using the eq in the system? Do you have to change settings from source to source?

I run the eq through a tape loop feature on my preamp. One click on the remote and th eq (tape monitor) is off for easy and rapid a/d comparo's. The specs for this unit speak for themselves interms of s/n ratio: -104 dB
THD: .009%
Discrete balanced class A topology

So know, I don't feel I'm sacrificaing sound quality. On sources I am completely happy with, I leave the eq off. Virtually any red book CD I have can benefit. The only factor that should be upgraded are the wires....roght now, only Canare Star Quad mic cable. Cheap and sound pretty good. The 2, 3.5 meter run pairs I will need from Siltech to replace the canare is coming. Going with 330i. Same wire/construction as the 770i which I use but smaller guage and cheaper...probably close to $5K for both pairs....sigh

different souces have different needs, so yes, you need to tweak different sources differently. With practice and familiarity with the unit, those adjustments can be made rather quickly as experience increases with use.

Last edited:

c1ferrari

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 15, 2010
Congrats, Christian

So my Millennia NSEQ-4 arrived yesterday. What a smart decision despite some of the skeptics opinions that two channel systems should have no tone (frequency adjustment) control.

I'll put an EQ --hopefully, mastering EQ-- in my system as well. The NSEQ-2 didn't quite fit my requirements...still searching for that GML 9500 or Maselec :D

joeinid

Mar 14, 2011
NY
Hi Christian,

Beautiful setup.

I am thinking of getting the Millennia NSEQ-4 for my system. Can you pm me who you bought yours from? Did you order the detented knobs? Do you think it's a worthwhile upgrade?

Thanks!

ps, I can't see the video.

Okay,

Here is the setup on it's own wheeled trolley. This eq represents "Freedom". No longer am I stuck with the source sound, especially when listening to CD's. The added bass extension and added air one can add makes a real difference. I't's like removing the compression/normalization opening the music up similar to what one experiences listening to hi rez 24 bit or DSD. Here is another pro studio demo by Henry Hirsch...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O1NJt3sedSY

My implementation:

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
Hi Christian,

Beautiful setup.

I am thinking of getting the Millennia NSEQ-4 for my system. Can you pm me who you bought yours from? Did you order the detented knobs? Do you think it's a worthwhile upgrade?

Thanks!

ps, I can't see the video.

I bought it here.
http://odysseyprosound.com/equalizers/millennia-nseq-4/

They are in MA. If you need some eq for a source you want to listen to, it's hard to beat. Yes, the knobs are detented in 1db increments. I run mine via a tape loop on my pre, so the music only flows through it when I want it to.

joeinid

Mar 14, 2011
NY
Thank you. I've been thinking about the Millennia or the Manley Massive Passive. Both look great but the NSEQ-4 is solid state and the Maley has tubes.

XV-1

May 24, 2010
Sydney
Thank you. I've been thinking about the Millennia or the Manley Massive Passive. Both look great but the NSEQ-4 is solid state and the Maley has tubes.

Joe,

the Manley looks like the easiest to use from the faceplate at least. I wonder which one sounds better?

Bruce, have you heard both?

joeinid

Mar 14, 2011
NY
Shane,

I'm not sure which sounds better but some user comments for the Manley are stellar. My thinking is that the Massive Passive will sweeten up the sound a little bit which I'd prefer. I guess I've answered my own question but it would be nice to get some objective opinions.

853guy

Aug 14, 2013
Shane,

I'm not sure which sounds better but some user comments for the Manley are stellar. My thinking is that the Massive Passive will sweeten up the sound a little bit which I'd prefer. I guess I've answered my own question but it would be nice to get some objective opinions.

Joe, I can't give you any opinions on the Manley, and only have very limited experience with the Millennia, but my all time favourite on the 2-buss was the D.W. Fearn VT-5. It's not a surgical device - it's more an intuitive, broad-stroke EQ that makes things, well, better. All its controls are stepped, but the cuts and boosts are in 2dB steps which may be too much in some situations. It depends on what you're wanting to achieve - extremely surgical cuts and boosts with lots of tweaking options, or a more reflexive device that imparts some character. I've never had any personal contact with Doug Fearn but a few people I know say he's a really good guy, so it may be worth shooting him an email.

Last edited:

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
I had the MP for about 3yr in the studio. Granted, my use my be totally different from the way a typical consumer may use it. It does impart its own signature to the music, even in by-pass. The sound can get a little thick using more aggressive settings. It's great on music that needs it, but I was finding I was using it less and less. That's one reason I got the NSEQ-2. It has SS or tube circuitry at te touch of a button.
I've also heard great things about API. I also used a Crane Song Ibis that was very clean and transparent. It didn't have a signature of its own, even using >3dB gain/cut.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing