2 Channel Listening Room

Peter Breuninger

[Industry Expert] Member Sponsor
Jul 20, 2010
Looking good, Joe. Glad to see the Kharmas back in the system :)

Joe Galbraith

Senior Member/Sponsor
Apr 22, 2010
www.arsetmusica.com
Looking good, Joe. Glad to see the Kharmas back in the system :)

That makes two of us, Peter. I do still have the two big woofer towers from the Surreals dialed in as subs, so the bass has a really nice deep foundation......

jazdoc

Member Sponsor
Aug 7, 2010
Bellevue
What a wonderful space. Sometimes audiophiles forget that in order to enjoy music, you have to put your other senses at ease. That looks like a truly relaxing space to enjoy music (as opposed to the wonderful looking equipment). And I also love the painting. Could you tell us more about your record collection, i.e. what do you enjoy listening to and some of your favorites?

Dre_J

Industry Expert
Mar 5, 2012
Thanks for sharing the new pictures Joe. You know what you are going to do when you go into that room. It is a nicely adapted listening space and like doc said, it looks relaxing. Of course, the equipment choice isn't bad either!

The new Surreal sub modules look interesting. I really enjoy systems with good bass foundations (not just lots of bass). They tend to add something to the music that seems to ground the whole thing in more reality when done right. If done wrong that's a different story. How hard was the integration with your mains?

It's visually evident to me that you put a good deal of work into this system from a performance perspective. I hope it's bringing you much enjoyment.

Dre

Joe Galbraith

Senior Member/Sponsor
Apr 22, 2010
www.arsetmusica.com
What a wonderful space. Sometimes audiophiles forget that in order to enjoy music, you have to put your other senses at ease. That looks like a truly relaxing space to enjoy music (as opposed to the wonderful looking equipment). And I also love the painting. Could you tell us more about your record collection, i.e. what do you enjoy listening to and some of your favorites?

My collection is pretty much all over the place, starting with Columbia Record Club's come on: "12 records for a dollar" back around 1967 or so. I still have almost everything I've purchased over the years, so I have a pretty solid collection of rock. In the late 1970's and early 1980's, I began to explore classical music as I was lucky enough to be going to school a block from Symphony Hall in Boston. Seji Ozawa used to hold open rehearsals on Wednesdays so I could walk in there and listen to a world class orchestra free. I am now the Vice-Chairman of the Board of Symphony in C, one of three training orchestras in the US. We are kind of like a baseball farm team. We are made up of students from Julliard, Curtis Institute, and Peabody Conservatory in Baltimore. They get real world experience playing the classical rep. and we get them ready for major orchestra jobs all over the world. Our Music Director is Rossen Milanov.

I also enjoy listening to jazz and have a growing collection of the usual suspects with a fondness for Ben Webster and Coleman Hawkins, in any given listening session might go from Mahler or Beethoven to Yes and Pink Floyd. I am a big fan of the Grateful Dead, having spent a lot of years (and money) following them around and taping their shows. As a matter of fact, I sold the last iteration of my taping rig to buy my Walker turntable. I have lots of Dead vinyl and tape, I am also a charter member of the Tape Project.

In heavy rotation on my tt these days is Grateful Dead "Dick's Picks Vol. 3" from May 1977, Pembroke Pines, Fla., "Beethoven/Enescu" violin and piano recording from Wilson Audio, Willie Nelson "Stardust" original pressing, Dead Can Dance "Live" from the most recent tour. Looking forward to Chad Kassem's reissue of 25 of the RCA classics from his Quality Records plant.

Joe Galbraith

Senior Member/Sponsor
Apr 22, 2010
www.arsetmusica.com
Thanks for sharing the new pictures Joe. You know what you are going to do when you go into that room. It is a nicely adapted listening space and like doc said, it looks relaxing. Of course, the equipment choice isn't bad either!

The new Surreal sub modules look interesting. I really enjoy systems with good bass foundations (not just lots of bass). They tend to add something to the music that seems to ground the whole thing in more reality when done right. If done wrong that's a different story. How hard was the integration with your mains?

It's visually evident to me that you put a good deal of work into this system from a performance perspective. I hope it's bringing you much enjoyment.

Dre
It took the better part of two days with four other sets of ears in the room. Each module (there are two) has 6 10" bass drivers arranged in a dipole pattern, 3 firing front, 3 firing back and each isolated in it's own sub-enclosure. Each module has an outboard subwoofer amp that has adjustable eq, phase, cross-over point, and gain. Right now, they take over from the Kharmas at around 48K and handle everything down into the low 20's. The real trick was getting the gain just right. Too much gain and it's too much bass and too little gain and it's mostly the work of the 9" driver in the Kharmas. The Kharmas are very articulate and fast. They are being driven by a stereo KR Audio VA 320 amp, known as the "baby Kronzilla" it puts out a very robust 22 wpc with a boatload of current. I like these bass modules because their design and adjustability renders them fast and articulate as well.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
My artist is just a local guy whose wife runs a German restaurant and he sells his paintings from a small gallery on the weekends.
Plus - I REALLY like it on my walls. I've been bugging the guy for months to sell it to me, but sell it to me inexpensively......

Gotcha! :b

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
That DEAD CAN DANCE LIVE vinyl set has been getting some regular play here as well. I'm really enjoying it!

Dre_J

Industry Expert
Mar 5, 2012
It took the better part of two days with four other sets of ears in the room. Each module (there are two) has 6 10" bass drivers arranged in a dipole pattern, 3 firing front, 3 firing back and each isolated in it's own sub-enclosure. Each module has an outboard subwoofer amp that has adjustable eq, phase, cross-over point, and gain. Right now, they take over from the Kharmas at around 48K and handle everything down into the low 20's. The real trick was getting the gain just right. Too much gain and it's too much bass and too little gain and it's mostly the work of the 9" driver in the Kharmas. The Kharmas are very articulate and fast. They are being driven by a stereo KR Audio VA 320 amp, known as the "baby Kronzilla" it puts out a very robust 22 wpc with a boatload of current. I like these bass modules because their design and adjustability renders them fast and articulate as well.

Thanks for the reply Joe.

Dre

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing