$1650-2500 3.1 setup

IceCream

Sep 28, 2018
Hello there! I'm looking for some input since there are so many speakers in the world! I live in Taiwan and here many speakers aren't available for preview because stores typically don't have an extensive collection :(

I want to build a 3.1 system, AV receiver must support:
- a second subwoofer (to buy later)
- Atmos (but don't need Atmos speakers now)

I'll play all my media through my laptop (HDMI). I plan to use the set for the next 10 years. I'm new to this and I've been doing research for 3 months now.

What I'll do with it: 80% music, 20% movies. I love to FEEL bass in movies, I prefer to have flat music. Music: pop music, k-pop, city pop, edm, vapor wave, anime soundtracks, funky music, jazz, instrumental.

I have a small/medium size room (4.5m x 4.5m x ceiling 2.5 meters = 15' x 15' x 8'4" ceiling). Ceiling is not solid but styrofoam (?) - what I mean is it's made of individual 50 cm x 50 cm squares that you can lift up, like in an office.

Budget is ~$3000USD but I'm looking for value vs. competing speakers rather than using all my money. Also I live in Taiwan, so I often will have to pay +33% extra (shipping + import tax) from the amazon price so budget may actually be ~ $2000 :( And many speakers won't ship to here so I also need as many alternatives as I can get.

I have some ideas but since I'm new I'll just ask you: What would you get?

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing