Synergistic Research HFT

treitz3

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 25, 2011
The tube lair in beautiful Rock Hill, SC
Gentlemen, I would like to remind everyone that this forum has a goal. Our goal is to have a friendly place where everyone shares ideas and information without the level of bickering and angst that other forums tend to create. Cordial participation is a key requisite of being a member in our forum. With that said, some posts in this thread are now under review by the management team.

Do not be surprised if and when certain posts are edited/deleted from this thread. Your forum administrators rule with a gentle hand. But should the occasion arise where we must take immediate and strong action, we will do so. In that case, our decisions are not subject to debate.

As a reminder, please read the WBF's TOS so that you know what is acceptable and what is not. http://www.whatsbestforum.com/showthread.php?1207-Terms-Of-Service

Tom

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
It doesn't list Jim's credentials or that he's done work with any major studio and I am HIGHLY suspicious from the fact that he's recommending room treatment products that have no RAL measurements. I've dealt with various AE's and they typically only recommend RAL measured products. Metal is NOT something that is normal for the room treatment industry. I have not seen any recording studio, mastering studio or anyone that I feel has serious credentials working with the high end professional installations that use metal as a form of room treatment. It's usually foam, compressed fiberglass panels with Guilford fabric, tube traps (al la ASC), quadratic diffusors things like that. So, from that standpoint, I see nothing on Jim's site that lends much credibility that I would look at. If you like the products you have and haven't spent time learning what professional environments use, then that's your thing. I hate to say this as to not offend you, but the products you have mentioned that you are using are NOT what the serious professionals use. If someone approached someone like a Bob Ludwig, George Massenburg, or any of the most reputable studio engineers and mastering engineers about those products, you would probably get laughed at. They only use what are tried and true products that have measurements to back up the product. Sorry, but I think you might have chose someone that might be taking advantage of you and I hate seeing that happen. Sorry, but I'm just giving you a little perspective on these un-tested methods of treating a room because they make no sense that they improve the sound quality of a room.

Maybe I should market some bubble gum to audiophiles, raise the price to $1000 a stick, wrap in gold foil, and put it in a wooden box and tell people to place it all over their equipment after chewed so it dampens the equipment from resonances.

I'm sorry that you are not familiar with Jim Smith's work. He is a highly regarded participant in the audio industry. As far as metal as a room treatment is concerned, neither Jim Smith or I recommend it. I simply borrowed the resonator from by audio friend because he lives down the street and the device seemed to have a positive effect in his room. I tried it in my room and did not like it. I included that experience in this thread because I think a metal device which resonates at certain frequencies is germane to this thread topic of the HFT devices. I have no metal room treatment devices in my room and use only diffusion and absorption acoustic treatment from ASC and two panel from Acoustic Revive. They seem to work in my environment and improve the sound of my system and increase my listening pleasure.

RichDavis

Feb 3, 2014
I'm sorry that you are not familiar with Jim Smith's work. He is a highly regarded participant in the audio industry. As far as metal as a room treatment is concerned, neither Jim Smith or I recommend it. I simply borrowed the resonator from by audio friend because he lives down the street and the device seemed to have a positive effect in his room. I tried it in my room and did not like it. I included that experience in this thread because I think a metal device which resonates at certain frequencies is germane to this thread topic of the HFT devices. I have no metal room treatment devices in my room and use only diffusion and absorption acoustic treatment from ASC and two panel from Acoustic Revive. They seem to work in my environment and improve the sound of my system and increase my listening pleasure.

I checked his site out and I didn't see any references of his work only some people that I don't know anything about that say he's great. he doesn't list any major studios that he's helped design, so for me, I can't see anything that I would classify as genuine. I don't know of a single AE that will recommend those little metal discs from Europe or the HFT/FEQ's. I passed on that info to some AE's that I know. The only response I got back was pretty much what I thought. A lot of laughter.

That metal disc is ridiculous. You are using it as some form of room treatment or is it there to look cool? I'm sure the ASC and the two panels from Acoustic Revive is going to do something that's on the legitimate side, but the HFT/FEQ, and that metal disc aren't room treatment products of any legitimacy.

A chimney acts like a Helmholtz resonator that's actually not tuned and unless you stuff it with some form of damping material, like acoustic foam, etc. It would be better to close it up, and maybe put a thick piece of wood to cover up the hole and maybe put a quadratic diffusor in front when you listen to your system. But leaving that cavity open isn't good.

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
It would be better to close it up, and maybe put a thick piece of wood to cover up the hole and maybe put a quadratic diffusor in front when you listen to your system. But leaving that cavity open isn't good.

which acoustician recommended this :confused:

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
That metal disc is ridiculous. You are using it as some form of room treatment or is it there to look cool? I'm sure the ASC and the two panels from Acoustic Revive is going to do something that's on the legitimate side, but the HFT/FEQ, and that metal disc aren't room treatment products of any legitimacy.

Perhaps my posts were not clear enough or a more careful reading of them is in order. That metal disc which you describe as ridiculous does not belong to me. It was in my system for an evening about two months ago while I evaluated its effect on the sound. I mentioned it only because it is made of metal and this thread is about the SR HFT devices which also resonate and are made of metal. It had a very pronounced effect which I did not really like, though it did actually improve the sound of its owner's system when we listened to a few selected LPs. It has been returned to its owner.

I do not own, and have not owned the HFT/FEQ products. They have never been in my system. I have heard them in two demonstrations in two different systems, so unlike many of the posters contributing to this conversation, I have at least heard them and can comment on them with some limited experience. They should in no way be confused with the ASC panels, tube traps or Acoustic Revive panels that I do own and use in my system and which I find to be very effective.

For anyone wanting to learn more about improving his/her audio system and the topic of room acoustics, I highly recommend reading the book "Get Better Sound" by Jim Smith. It discusses in some detail, speaker placement, room treatment options and the relationship between the listener, the system, and the room.

GaryProtein

VIP/Donor
Jul 25, 2012
NY
. . . .A chimney acts like a Helmholtz resonator that's actually not tuned and unless you stuff it with some form of damping material, like acoustic foam, etc. It would be better to close it up, and maybe put a thick piece of wood to cover up the hole and maybe put a quadratic diffusor in front when you listen to your system. But leaving that cavity open isn't good.

I closed mine off many years ago and the sound improved noticeably.

GaryProtein

VIP/Donor
Jul 25, 2012
NY
I still use mine to build fires :)

I haven't used mine in over 25 years!

The fireplace extends left and right to the center of each of the midrange/tweeter towers and my crossovers and power amps are right in front of the fireplace. The speakers are in front and flanking it.

GaryProtein

VIP/Donor
Jul 25, 2012
NY
Do you have photos of the ceiling in your listening room?

RichDavis

Feb 3, 2014
which acoustician recommended this :confused:

What else are you going to do? Leave it open? I'm just putting out a better solution than what he has. What else is there? I was just spiffballing. If an AE told me what to tell what to do, he wouldn't do it anyway so I'm not going to ask.

What are your recommendations? Leave the metal disc for show? tune it? stuff it with acoustic foam? I mean there really isn't much else without taking out the chimney altogether, which he isn't going to do.

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
I returned the Highendnovum Resonator to its owner this afternoon and we listened to his system again with and without the device in place. I'm really surprised, but that "ridiculous" (Rich's description) piece of metal (bronze, actually) did improve the sound of his system. It resonates at certain frequencies and enhanced some harmonics that his all digital system lacks. It also added some dimensionality to the images, some body to the tone and some clarity to the overall sound. I don't pretend to know how it would effect the room's acoustic measurements, but subjectively, it was quite audible, it made a definite change, and it increased our listening enjoyment - sort of like adding a slice of lemon to a vodka tonic on a hot summer evening. So that metal room treatment which was sitting on the floor in front of my fireplace one evening about two months ago, is no longer in my house and back with it happy owner.

Now, back to the topic of this thread: SR HFT devices.

thedudeabides

Jan 16, 2011
Alto, NM
The average person is usually not technically astute to understand this stuff, but some of us do have a technical background and are taught to measure things. It's not being arrogant, it's being educated. To think that you don't need measurements is being naive.

I don't feel i'm being arrogant, just more informed.

Mr. Davis,

You must know that I was born and raised in Lake Wobegon where all the kids are above average.

It's quite obvious that you are more educated and informed than most of the naive folks who post on this website.

GG

PS: Peter, I certainly hope so. I, for one, am getting a bit tired of reading the same old thing repeated again, and again, and again, and again, and again...................................

Last edited:

jap

Banned
Apr 6, 2012
I installed two sets of HFTs and I'm very happy with the results.

The soundstage isn't any bigger, but there's more air, focus and leading edge attack top to bottom is improved.

I'm listening to Brubeck- Live at Carnige Hall as I write this, and it sounds wonderful.

Love to try the FEQ and XOTs.

mtseymour

Dec 7, 2013
Vancouver, BC
I installed two sets of HFTs and I'm very happy with the results.

The soundstage isn't any bigger, but there's more air, focus and leading edge attack top to bottom is improved.

I'm listening to Brubeck- Live at Carnige Hall as I write this, and it sounds wonderful.

Love to try the FEQ and XOTs.

I also have two sets of the HFT. In my system, the FEQ made a bigger improvement, especially in lowering the noise floor. The HFT and the FEQ work well together though.

I tried the XOT on my Revel Studio2. Since it has bi-wire terminals, I tried the XOT on the high and low terminals. The XOT made a bigger impact on the low terminals, which may be related to the higher current flow. I decided to keep the pair of XOTs because my speakers are quieter with more low-level detail. When I asked my dealer for a 2nd set for the high terminals, he said that I would have to wait for the next shipment because none of the other loaners were coming back. I thought at least one demo pair would come back but I don't seem to be the only happy customer.

HedgeHog

Mar 12, 2012
Richmond, BC
I just got 2 sets of the HFT to try. I'm curious if current users have existing room treatment. I ask because the recommended locations coexist with room treatment and other items. In my case, I have RPG BAD panels in the middle of the ceiling so while Level 2 suggests the bullet in the center of the ceiling, does that mean I should place it on the face of my panel? Also, for those with flat screens, would having the bullets lower than recommended (or even the 3 bullets not lining up at the same height affect performance)?

Of course, I contacted SR but Ted's kinda vague with his replies (even when I submitted pictures of the room).

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing