NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
"To puck, or not to puck, that is the question:
Whether 'tis Nobler in the mind to suffer
The Slings and Arrows of outrageous Resonance,
Or to take Arms against a Sea of vibreous emanations,
And by opposing end them:"

Does anyone here at WBF know with absolute certainty what's best to do regarding "pucking" or not?

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Yes...do what sounds best for you in your system. It's really that simple.

I've been playing without one since the incident last Saturday. Quite sure I prefer the no weight/clamp route from what I'm hearing. Going to leave it for a week and then add the weight again. May do this a few times to form an accurate opinion as to what works best on my setup.

So yes, do what sounds best.

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
Does anyone here at WBF know with absolute certainty what's best to do regarding "pucking" or not?

In my case, my system definitely sounds better with the clamp/washer system. But this solution is part of a bigger turntable system which was designed to be used in this way. I think it all depends on the design of the table and what sounds best to you.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
I tried my AudioTechnica AT618 puck for years and years on various turntables;
and never ever I could tell the difference with or without it!

That is why I ask about "absolute certainty".
Thank you very much, you just confirmed what I've already know for so many years. :b

* Some CD players also use disc "pucks". ...Disc Stabilizers.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
In my case, my system definitely sounds better with the clamp/washer system. But this solution is part of a bigger turntable system which was designed to be used in this way. I think it all depends on the design of the table and what sounds best to you.

I remember my Aries 2 and HRX. The Aries 2 came stock with the VPI screw down clamp and washer. On a warped record it flattened the LP but also raised the LP off the platter. Just looking at the change of behavior of the tonearm let you know it was working. Less stress on the cartridge suspension. The HRX came with the heavy weight and the periphery ring. I was able to try the Aries 2 clamp and washer on it and it worked too. My Rock 7 requires that I use a screw down clamp with the damping trough up front. So yes, as I already said many pages ago, it is table dependent. I preferred no weight at all on my TW but it does limit what LPs I can play.

What nobody has touched on yet is how it is also LP dependent. Since I collect mostly original pressings that are decades old, I have a large number of LPs that are less than perfectly flat but are otherwise in pristine condition. In my case, in large part, it is the software dictating the feature set.

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
I remember my Aries 2 and HRX. The Aries 2 came stock with the VPI screw down clamp and washer. On a warped record it flattened the LP but also raised the LP off the platter. Just looking at the change of behavior of the tonearm let you know it was working. Less stress on the cartridge suspension. The HRX came with the heavy weight and the periphery ring. I was able to try the Aries 2 clamp and washer on it and it worked too. My Rock 7 requires that I use a screw down clamp with the damping trough up front. So yes, as I already said many pages ago, it is table dependent. I preferred no weight at all on my TW but it does limit what LPs I can play.

What nobody has touched on yet is how it is also LP dependent. Since I collect mostly original pressings that are decades old, I have a large number of LPs that are less than perfectly flat but are otherwise in pristine condition. In my case, in large part, it is the software dictating the feature set.

That is an excellent point. The SME washer/clamp does flatten the LP while in creates "an intimate contact" between the LP and platter surface. And I bet your TechDas with its vacuum hold down does wonders for these original non-flat pressings. Must sound truly wonderful.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
My toes are almost as happy as my ears. I almost dropped the periphery ring on my foot. No damage to the floor or ring. I remember saying "So that's what the rubber bumpers on the ring are for!" LOL.

Ptplayers

Feb 14, 2011
I have a story of an actual event that took place last Saturday at my house. This is what was being used:
Nottingham Horizon SE
Rega RB250
Pete Riggle Heavy Counterweight
Pro-ject Puck weight.
Mat is a dense sponge-like material

We cued up the new Sound City LP (RCA 180-gram), secured it with the Pro-ject puck and it was cued down about midway as someone wanted to hear a particular section. Within about 10 seconds it was badly mistracking. Like really, really bad. Make a long story short, we looked at the record and noticed it was "concave" while on the TT with the weight. We removed it and played it back without the weight....problem gone. I have never had this happen before. If I had an outer ring this may not have happened. Or if I had a "clamp" this would not have been an issue, as the tension can be adjusted.

Opinions?

Hi John , it was actually Gary Karr Adagio D'Albinoni

jazdoc

Member Sponsor
Aug 7, 2010
Bellevue
Today I had the opportunity to listen with the Durand record weight in two systems.

First we listened at Mike Lavigne's. The improvement was small but consistent: improved high frequency clarity, more weight to kick drums and bass, better definition of individual performers.

At my place with the Galibier turntable, the changes were of a similar nature but substantially more conspicuous. In my system, the noise floor also dropped, something that was not discernable at Mike's.

Before today, I was pretty dubious, but after today's demonstrations, I'm a convert...I hate to spend the money but it in my system, it's worth the expense.

After the Newport Show, I'm going to help Mike install his Herzian active device under his NVS...I'm interested if this will negate the effect of the weight...to be continued.

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
Today I had the opportunity to listen with the Durand record weight in two systems.

First we listened at Mike Lavigne's. The improvement was small but consistent: improved high frequency clarity, more weight to kick drums and bass, better definition of individual performers.

At my place with the Galibier turntable, the changes were of a similar nature but substantially more conspicuous. In my system, the noise floor also dropped, something that was not discernable at Mike's.

Before today, I was pretty dubious, but after today's demonstrations, I'm a convert...I hate to spend the money but it in my system, it's worth the expense.

After the Newport Show, I'm going to help Mike install his Herzian active device under his NVS...I'm interested if this will negate the effect of the weight...to be continued.

You will still want a record weight whether it's the Durand or other. I use a stillpoints LP1 with an outer ring with great success on the Herzan TS-140

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Been playing my LP's without my Pro-ject Puck and I've been pleased so far. However, I just cued up Dave Brubeck- Brubeck In Amsterdam and man was it bright. No, no, no I thought...this is not supposed to sound like this, so I installed the Puck. What a difference. Much less bright, better bass definition (although it's no bass ball-breaker).

I guess it shows that on my system at least the use of a clamp/weight is dependent on the LP being played.

Grooves

Feb 29, 2012
Pacific Northwest
As with anything in audio what works well or is preferred by one may not work well or be prferred by you. An example in point is I have been revisiting using a record wt./clamp on my Raven. Initially, I prefered no clamp. I felt it was cutting down the sounstage and hardening HF's. I played with making my own. I ended up preferring a light weight Michell clamp of about 75g., which can be used as a clamp or simply as a weight. I found a trade off of sorts when the weight became heavy. I actually prefer to use it as a clamp for classical music and as a weight on jazz/acoustic. But ya know, to each his own and what works for me may not work for you. Small changes are so system dependent.
Wow- Joel has come a long way since "2007" when I bought a RB-250 from him. I hope the wood eco-friendly.

Odyno

Dec 27, 2011
Near Montreal Canada
Would someone like to comment on or critique the SME "record-clamp/washer/scrolled isodamp-platter-surface" response to this turntable resonance issue? I find that it does provide intimate record/platter contact. And it seems to be conceived as part of a larger system.
P
I think there may be something to Gary's observation that if the addition of a record weight significantly improves performance, then the weight is improving an issue that was not addressed in the original design, for what ever reason.

I use the HRS on my 20.
Compared to the SME screew clamp the soundtrack Is more natural, dynamic and the whole combo dig deeper in the groove.
My rig Is Sme20, SME V, Dyna XV1-S

hvbias

Jun 22, 2012
New England area

I am in a similar situation. Sometimes it's really difficult to find an original pressing of something rare that is perfectly flat and plays whisper quiet. So I've been looking at turntables that can accommodate outer ring clamps without choking. A surprising number of manufacturers have told me their TT will not work with a heavy outer ring clamp (~ 7lbs like the VPI).

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
I am in a similar situation. Sometimes it's really difficult to find an original pressing of something rare that is perfectly flat and plays whisper quiet. So I've been looking at turntables that can accommodate outer ring clamps without choking. A surprising number of manufacturers have told me their TT will not work with a heavy outer ring clamp (~ 7lbs like the VPI).

I use a 1.5 lb outer ring. I find that is more than enough weight to flatten any warped/dished records I have encountered so far.

Peter Breuninger

[Industry Expert] Member Sponsor
Jul 20, 2010
I've been waiting to film Joel with the "weight" here we go...

Joe Galbraith

Senior Member/Sponsor
Apr 22, 2010
www.arsetmusica.com
Thank you Peter!

mep

Apr 20, 2010
I've been waiting to film Joel with the "weight" here we go...

Peter-this comes across (to me) as a fluff piece of journalism. It would have been cool if they would have actually played the LP without a record weight and with the mega-expensive Durand weight to show the differences in sound. Better yet would have been a comparison between the Stillpoints record weight and the Durand weight. There is nothing present on this video to substantiate any claims that are being made for the Durand weight. The Durand weight might be a great improvement, or maybe not so much. Nothing here is going to lead you to believe that it might really make a significant improvement to the sound of your LP playback and thus my "fluff" comment.

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
Peter-this comes across (to me) as a fluff piece of journalism. It would have been cool if they would have actually played the LP without a record weight and with the mega-expensive Durand weight to show the differences in sound. Better yet would have been a comparison between the Stillpoints record weight and the Durand weight. There is nothing present on this video to substantiate any claims that are being made for the Durand weight. The Durand weight might be a great improvement, or maybe not so much. Nothing here is going to lead you to believe that it might really make a significant improvement to the sound of your LP playback and thus my "fluff" comment.

Do you really think you could evaluate audio improvments via an a/b comparo on a YouTube video ?

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing