Raven Black Night vs 301

gian60

Apr 17, 2016
Another my friend,he has 50 cartridges,including Blue Lace,Lumiere,Proteus,AT ART 1000,XV1T,Shilabe,he tell the best for him is ART 1000,

has Raven Black night with 4 arms,fr 64,fr 66,Ikea 407 and Raven,has also Garrard 301 modified in England with Plint of Artisan Fidelity and Ikea 407 and has also SP 10 mk II and SP 10 MK III

He want to sell Raven because told me has an hifi sound and music is not real,natural and dynamic like his 301

So really Schopper,301,Lenco,EMT,Torqueo,could be,are among the top of turntable?
Why spend 30/40/50.000 euro if a lot of people are happy of this?

Regards

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Truth is people are not happy with one TT and arm. That's why irrespective of price points you see people carrying multiple stuff in analog, while this is a rarity in digital. Each analog component talks to you differently. David's tables are great examples, and at different price points, yours would be a similar example, as was the Reed, Feickert, Thales, and Pluto that Ron and I auditioned.

Schopper and PTP are very good at communicating, and another guy sold off his raven for PTP.

I will end up with one of them, compare to a Stabi M and a DD, and that would be it. Yes, you can get a very neutral TT in a high resolution, neutral system like Mike's but it is not easy to make it sing.

advanced101

VIP/Donor
May 3, 2017
I sold all of my TTs in favor of my Artisan Fidelity 301. The 301 was a bit of an audio revelation for me. My reasoning is similar to what your friend noted.

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Truth is people are not happy with one TT and arm. That's why irrespective of price points you see people carrying multiple stuff in analog, while this is a rarity in digital. Each analog component talks to you differently. David's tables are great examples, and at different price points, yours would be a similar example, as was the Reed, Feickert, Thales, and Pluto that Ron and I auditioned.

Yes, I liked the Dr. Feickert. It was very musical and enjoyable sounding. But I think I was enjoying, at least partly, the warmth and richness of turntable resonance and suspension springing.

If I have to pick one component in the LP playback system to be truly neutral, I think I want the turntable to be the truly neutral component. Otherwise the rest of the system is amplifying distortions from the inception of the signal.

BruceD

VIP/Donor
Dec 13, 2013
Yes, I liked the Dr. Feickert. It was very musical and enjoyable sounding. But I think I was enjoying, at least partly, the warmth and richness of turntable resonance and suspension springing.

Ron owned a Dr Feickert Blackbird II --it was non suspended --were you referring to the platform the one you auditioned was placed on?

I do agree with your sonic observation though the brand is a warm and rich purveyor--VERY different from my Shindo Garrard:)

BruceD

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing