Phono Stages with 3-4 inputs

howiebrou

Jun 29, 2012
I have used my Audio Research Phone 2 ref phonostage for a number of years but as I consider adding another arm to my Avid Acutus and possibly a new TT with one or two arms I might wish to trade in my AR for one with multiple inputs. Don't really want to roll phonostages! What good phonostages have 3-4 (all MC) inputs? Can be a combination of rca and XLR inputs.

You guys with multiple TTs. What do you do?

Thanks

Last edited:

asiufy

Industry Expert/VIP Donor
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok

howiebrou

Jun 29, 2012
Thanks Steve and Tang. Will check them out. Anyone know how many the CH P1 has? They tend to be modular so I wonder if they can be added to?

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
So is the LP1 Signature

Nice thing is that there are 2 different SUT's used in the MC1 and MC2 inputs. One is for a low gain cart and the other is for a higher gain cart

The MM input allows the use of any SUT

I've heard the EMT phono in 2 different systems in Manila and it is a fabulous phono stage. Uses a lot of tubes

howiebrou

Jun 29, 2012
I've heard the EMT phono in 2 different systems in Manila and it is a fabulous phono stage. Uses a lot of tubes

Does anyone know the MSRP of the EMT in Europe? Can't seem to find it anywhere? The only indication I could find was around 40kEuros.

gian60

Apr 17, 2016
I have CH P1 with X1
P1 has 3 input
2 input MC in Current
1 input MM/MC in voltage where you can select impedance from 20 to 100.000 ohm,so if you put 47.000 become MM and you can use also a SUT
You can select gain from 35 to 70 db
All input and output are balanced and unbalanced
Sound is fantastic,for me

howiebrou

Jun 29, 2012
I have CH P1 with X1
P1 has 3 input
2 input MC in Current
1 input MM/MC in voltage where you can select impedance from 20 to 100.000 ohm,so if you put 47.000 become MM and you can use also a SUT
You can select gain from 35 to 70 db
All input and output are balanced and unbalanced
Sound is fantastic,for me

Good to know Gina. Thanks. The P1 is a definite contender. I use the C1 Dac already. Thanks.

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
A switch box. Never considered it but it is a possibility if it's good quality although adding connections does concern me a little. Thanks.

I am also thinking a convenience of a switch box because I like my Ayon Spheris phono very much. The EMT and Lamm are very tempting though.

Kind regards,
Tang

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
I am also thinking a convenience of a switch box because I like my Ayon Spheris phono very much. The EMT and Lamm are very tempting though.

Kind regards,
Tang

Mr. Tango,

after all the effort we go through to get a perfect signal from our lovely turntables, it would be a shame to dumb it down with a switchbox. the very minimal signal strength of a cartridge output is very vulnerable to any plug, let alone a couple extra plugs and a switcher. we know that a phono cable has, by far, the most influence to the performance as any cable does.

at $349 maybe it's worth giving it a shot as nothing to lose except $349.

I lived with a custom built Jena Labs switcher (not $349) for my preamp for 4 years (along with a Placette passive RVC, remote volume control) and it did surpass a number of high end preamps back in the day, so I'm not anti-switcher. but all of any cartridge output should be protected and cherished.

my darTZeel preamp has 2 identical internal battery powered phono stages and I appreciate the advantages of simplicity in being able to have multiple phono stages optimized for different arm/cart combinations.

Last edited:

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
Lamm LP1 Sig gives you three MC inputs if you use an outboard transformer plugged into the MM inputs. I use it that way. My Allnic has a total of 4 inputs. 2 MC and 2 MM. for 4 total MC inputs if I run outbd trannies.

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
Mr. Tango,

after all the effort we go through to get a perfect signal from our lovely turntables, it would be a shame to dumb it down with a switchbox. the very minimal signal strength of a cartridge output is very vulnerable to any plug, let alone a couple extra plugs and a switcher. we know that a phono cable has, by far, the most influence to the performance as any cable does.

You are absolutely right Mike. A switch box was just my tiny thought in the the back of my head..haha :p Thats because I like my phono very much but still want conveniency. On another thread, I made comments before on my experiences comparing my phono to others in my own system and they didnt surpass my Ayon. My phono only has two inputs with fixed high gain no adjustment on loads due to the philosophy of designer. Not so flexible at all. Now I have four arms and possibly go up to five from my three tts. I am interested very much in EMT JPA66 because of its features.

Kind rgards,
Tang

XV-1

May 24, 2010
Sydney
I do like my Accuphase C-37. 3 inputs for MM or MC with memory and 3 ground posts. 100K loading for MM if you want to try.

Sounds a treat.

howiebrou

Jun 29, 2012
Mr. Tango,

at $349 maybe it's worth giving it a shot as nothing to lose except $349.

I lived with a custom built Jena Labs switcher (not $349) for my preamp for 4 years (along with a Placette passive RVC, remote volume control) and it did surpass a number of high end preamps back in the day, so I'm not anti-switcher. but all of any cartridge output should be protected and cherished.

my darTZeel preamp has 2 identical internal battery powered phono stages and I appreciate the advantages of simplicity in being able to have multiple phono stages optimized for different arm/cart combinations.

It seems like a no-brainer. With quite a few people owning more than one TT or with more than one arm you would have thought there would be a market for a multiple input phono stage, after all which Dac doesn't have multiple inputs. The EMT does seem to tick a few boxes but it is a bit of beast, though in a nice way!

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing