Opinions on the Magico V3?

ack

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
I am starting a long search for new speakers in the V3's price range, which I have auditioned a number of times, but am not sure that it's as musical my Martin Logans. What have been others' experiences with this speaker?

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
I am starting a long search for new speakers in the V3's price range, which I have auditioned a number of times, but am not sure that it's as musical my Martin Logans. What have been others' experiences with this speaker?

Hi Peter,

Think you'll find once you've lived with estats, there's no going back :) Boxes still always sound like boxes to me. Dynamic speakers just lose that last vestige of low level information and transient attack. Why don't you listen to the newer MLs?

Couple of speakers you might want to give a listen to besides the usual culprits. Venture loudspeakers distributed by Mike Slaminksy in Moorpark (http://www.precisionav.com/Products.html), Vienna Acoustics, Sonus Faber, Vandersteen 7s and NOLA. I heard the Ventures at CES three years ago with the Silicon Arts electronics and felt the Ventures were the closest I've heard to an estat in a box-plus the advantages of a dynamic driver speaker.

ack

May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
Thank you Myles... I was hoping you'd chime in. Yes I intend to audition the Summit X again, plus the CLX (which left me smitten before, but I can't fit them in my room). I am glad you mentioned Venture because I have them at the top of my list along with the Rockport Ankaa. But frankly, I went through the same exercise a couple of years ago, and like you said, once you've lived with 'stats it's really hard to like boxes... Before my Odysseys I had a pair of SL-3's, so I've lived with stats for well over 10 yrs. The Vandy 7s are clearly out of my price range, but the others are.

naturephoto1

May 24, 2010
Breinigsville, PA
www.nelridge.com
I am not sure as to where you live. But, if you can get to RMAF, New York City, or eastern PA, you may be able to audition the Oswaldsmill Audio OMA Mini Horns and even some of their larger and much more expenisive horns. They will make you rethink what horns can do and how they sound. The Minis sell for $12,000 for the pair. They are really quite good. Not as good as my OMA New Yorker Prototypes but really quite good.

Here is the link to the speakers:

http://www.oswaldsmillaudio.com/Products/Mini.html

They have a no boxy sound at all to them. They have a much lower mark up compared to most other makers since they are purchased directly from Jonathan Weiss of OMA and it is his pricing method.

Rich

RUR

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
SoCal
...plus the CLX (which left me smitten before, but I can't fit them in my room)......
Peter, how big is your room? Is it treated? I'm trying hard to convince myself that I can make them sing, nearfield, in my 12x20 dedicated room. Every room I've heard them in so far has been compromised in one respect or another, yet they still sound incredible.

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
Thank you Myles... I was hoping you'd chime in. Yes I intend to audition the Summit X again, plus the CLX (which left me smitten before, but I can't fit them in my room). I am glad you mentioned Venture because I have them at the top of my list along with the Rockport Ankaa. But frankly, I went through the same exercise a couple of years ago, and like you said, once you've lived with 'stats it's really hard to like boxes... Before my Odysseys I had a pair of SL-3's, so I've lived with stats for well over 10 yrs. The Vandy 7s are clearly out of my price range, but the others are.

Ack

Last week my buddy and fellow member Marty here auditioned the Wilson Sophia 3 with the Spectral DM 260 and for the price was one of the best systems I have heard in years. As to a box sounding like a box I respectfully disagree with Myles interpretation. Maybe he has been listening to the wrong boxes

ack

May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
It's 26x14 - average, not treated, but it passes the clap test; still, needs work. The CLXs would be my preference since I have a sub, but we'll see - they do sound spectacular in a few setups I've heard them. Anyone have experience with Analysis Audio? Their construction is very high tech (ever notice how easy is it to bend the CLX panel out of place?), but I had only had a brief audition for an an hour with a Pathos tube amp and the sound was very hi-fi like and a bit lifeless.

ack

May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
Ack

Last week my buddy and fellow member Marty here auditioned the Wilson Sophia 3 with the Spectral DM 260 and for the price was one of the best systems I have heard in years.

OK, on the list... but it'd better be much improved over the original Sophia which left me outright cold and laughing at the various "glowing" reviews:)

FrantzM

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Hi

People, you may have noticed that most, if not all the posts (including mine) have not even hinted at the OP question: "Opinions on the Magico V3".

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City

One other that just thought of were the Marten Coltrane or Birds.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Ack

Last week my buddy and fellow member Marty here auditioned the Wilson Sophia 3 with the Spectral DM 260 and for the price was one of the best systems I have heard in years. As to a box sounding like a box I respectfully disagree with Myles interpretation. Maybe he has been listening to the wrong boxes

Steve:

I think it's one of those things that you don't realize what's missing from the music til you hear the speakers side by side in the same system with the same recordings :) Now that's not to say that dynamic speakers are bad--they just have other strengths. I also think that audiophiles will tend to gravitate towards ss with box speakers to make up for some of the missing info. Just my 2 cents.

cjfrbw

Apr 20, 2010
Pleasanton, CA
I have the Analysis Epsilons, which I use with active crossover. The Analysis speakers do from 70-3500 Hz, and are augmented with ribbon tweeters and subwoofers for the frequency extremes.
I am a long time Apogee fan. My desire to use moderate power SET's led me to use the Analysis speakers, which are more tube friendly.
I love the Apogee sound. Analysis are true ribbons on the midrange and quasi ribbons on the bass. They sound "faster" than Apogees, but don't have the creamy richness of Aps, but can have more subtle dynamics and transitions.
They have flat impedance, unlike the complex impedance of true electrostats. True electrostats may win the "speed" competition subjectively, but have more trouble delivering a sense of weight or substance. I would put the Analysis speakers somewhere between stats and Aps in that regard.
I also have trouble with box speakers after using planars, though there are some box speakers that are quite notable in transcending the "box" paradigm. However, I am probably a planar guy forever. It is hard for me to justify the expense of massive boxes holding traditional transducers with passive crossovers when all you need to do is get rid of the box and use a more direct, faster transducer.
I like my Analysis speakers a lot, they pretty much do what I want the way I want it in my listening room.

cjfrbw

Apr 20, 2010
Pleasanton, CA
Hi

People, you may have noticed that most, if not all the posts (including mine) have not even hinted at the OP question: "Opinions on the Magico V3".

I am glad you weren't my teacher in grammar school, Franz!

Here's my hint: Never heard the Magico V3, but I would probably like them, but they are boxes, so I probably would not prefer them. That is a totally useless hint, but a hint, nontheless.

garylkoh

WBF Technical Expert (Speakers & Audio Equipment)
Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
www.genesisloudspeakers.com
Having owned Accustats, Apogees, Magnepan, and now Genesis (the company), I agree with all the posters above who say that you will find it difficult going away from electrostatics/planar. I broaden it to say that you will find it difficult to leave the world of line-source dipole speakers.

Here's my perspective (of some of my competitors) that have been mentioned in this thread, and more to the point upgrading from your Odysseys.

The Summit X should be on the top of your list. At the California Audio Show, we demo'ed in the same suite with the ML Ethos and I thought that those were pretty spectacular. In particular, the coherence and integration between the line-source electrostatic panel and the point-source bass is now excellent and they were telling me that the ML entry into the "mass market" with Best Buy/Magnolia enabled them to invest a little more into research, and this was one of the areas that they did a lot of work on.

I have not listened to the Analysis audio, but I'll have to make a point to do so as soon as possible.

The Magico V3 - you will miss the openess, speed and "sparkle" (the critics will call it brightness) of your ML, but less so than with other tweeters. I find the V3 far less coherent between bass and midrange then their smaller speakers. But then again, in the Odyssey, I can always find the transition between the bass and the panel.

The Wilson Sophia 3 is far, far improved over the first and if you're auditioned the previous version and found them unmusical, it would be worth your while to give the latest a listen. If the advantage of the V3 is the high frequency, the advantage of the Sophia is the midrange.

I don't have any line-source dipoles in your price range or which would fit your room. But if you are going to come to RMAF, come and listen to the Genesis 5.3's which are the most line-source dipole sounding of boxy speakers. I bought the company because of the original Genesis V.

arthurs

Sep 12, 2010
Denton, TX
One other that just thought of were the Marten Coltrane or Birds.

I just went and heard the Birds last week and am buying a pair based on what I heard. I'll post more once I get them in my room because they sounded damn good in a challenging room at my demo, so I can't wait to hear what they can do with proper space and placement in a treated room. That said, I second the recommendation to add the Marten Birds to your demo list.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
I've heard the V3 and honestly liked it. My problem is that I have not heard the better ML speakers because their local dealer folded many years ago and nobody has taken up the slack. So I have no frame of reference to make any recommendations for the V3 or any other speaker actually. I do gather that Ack has heard it with Spectrals and liked them.

I'm just curious why there has been no mention of the Eidolons. Seems there are some speakers on the shortlist using Thiel/Accuton drivers but no mention yet of Spectral's traditional partner in crime.

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
Rather than comment on the other suggestions let me agree with Myles. Transitioning form stats to boxes is not going to be easy, If you live near NJ get over to GTT Audio and listen to YG Acoustics Cadera at $18k. Your search may be over sooner than you think.

Oops! Make that the Carmel. Cadera is a much better name.

Yes I have heard the V3.

Last edited:

marty

Apr 20, 2010
United States
"If the advantage of the V3 is the high frequency, the advantage of the Sophia is the midrange."

I agree w Gary completely. The Magico V3 is not, in my view, a musical speaker as it does not integrate the top with the midbass and bottom successfully. . The Sophia 3, on the other hand, is a masterpiece and a superb value. It is well integrated and sonically pleasing. It has more than a little of that elusive quality of the big boys to "float like a butterfly and sting like a bee"

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
Marty, Since you've heard both, do you think the Sashas are worth the extra $10K over the Sophia 3s?

While Marty is thinking about it. The difference is dramatic. I can't really put a dollar amount on it.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing