Genesis G1 "Dragon" Launch Party - May 4th, 2012

garylkoh

WBF Technical Expert (Speakers & Audio Equipment)
Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
www.genesisloudspeakers.com
Having heard at least five pairs of IRSs in my years, I can say that properly set up, they were magical. IMHO, one of the best speakers I've ever heard with the caveat that the biggest issues was the parts quality (as it seems for so many speakers; the designer puts all the effort into the drivers and runs out of money and has to cut corners on the xover) :(

Redid an IRS Xover for a friend and it was a different beast. He also had the servo redone and that was a marked improvement. But very few speakers (and I assume based on reports that Gary's version does this too!) could move the quantity of air the IRS did. When HP talked about air conditioning noise in Symphony Hall, it was there; when HP talked about the underground under Kingsway, you couldn't miss it! I rmemember introducing HP to Emerald Forrest and will never forget the look on his face when they started to play the drums and his pants started to flap in the breeze :)

That's why I was pushing Gary to debut them back East :) Know he'll never bring them to a show :)

Myles, no corners were cut on the G1.2's or on the Dragons. No other speaker I know can move this much air - the IRS had twelve 12-inch woofers. The G1.2 has twenty-four, and each woofer has twice the excursion of the old IRS woofers. Towards the end of the night, we were playing club music at club levels - Frankie Goes to Hollywood at realistic levels :)

One of the problems with the IRS was that the speaker came with a servo controller but not the amps for the woofers. So, the quality of bass and integration with the midrange was a bit of a hit-n-miss. The G1.2 is supplied with 12,000W of amplification for the 24 woofers, and the crossovers are integrated.

garylkoh

Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
Gary I recall reading a page you wrote in relation to isolation under speakers which was very interesting indeed and making reference a part 2 to come, did you ever complete and publish such? If so kindly provide a link.

Sorry, not yet. It's on my do list though........

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Myles, no corners were cut on the G1.2's or on the Dragons. No other speaker I know can move this much air - the IRS had twelve 12-inch woofers. The G1.2 has twenty-four, and each woofer has twice the excursion of the old IRS woofers. Towards the end of the night, we were playing club music at club levels - Frankie Goes to Hollywood at realistic levels :)

One of the problems with the IRS was that the speaker came with a servo controller but not the amps for the woofers. So, the quality of bass and integration with the midrange was a bit of a hit-n-miss. The G1.2 is supplied with 12,000W of amplification for the 24 woofers, and the crossovers are integrated.

Are you still crossing over between the panels and woofers at around 120 Hz (?)?

DEV

Oct 19, 2011
We typically have a lot of non-audiophiles come to these events. Club members bring their friends.... their friends bring their friends.... and it's a great way to introduce music lovers to the industry. So, we always try to put on a good show with lots of beer, wine, snacks and of course, some of the best music that we can find.

One of Carol's friends brought her two teenage daughters - and while music lovers, they had never heard Prog Rock - my old-timer's music.

I played:

and one of them came up and asked "What was that??? It's beautiful."

Then:

and she came up again, paper and pen in hand.

Then again with:

And then:

Well.... may be Phil Collins isn't really prog.

But when I played

Half a dozen guys came up with paper and pen. Current progressive rock. What could be more cool!!

Gary, that's what it's all about. The music and gathering of individuals enjoying. Thanks for sharing, any pics of the actual event to share.

garylkoh

Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
Are you still crossing over between the panels and woofers at around 120 Hz (?)?

High Pass frequency for the midrange around 120Hz. The crossover point between the woofers and the midrange depends on the bass gain and the low-pass frequency set at the woofers.

garylkoh

Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
Gary, that's what it's all about. The music and gathering of individuals enjoying. Thanks for sharing, any pics of the actual event to share.

Absolutely! It's about music and camaraderie :) These events are never about sales - I keep from even talking about the system, but will usually describe the music, or ask the one who brought it to describe it.

Here's a pix of the curious crowd. Others might have taken more pictures......

Curious..jpg

garylkoh

Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
Gary, that Phil Collins may be a lot of things, but prog is not one of them.

Haha! I expected that...... which was why I said Phil Collins isn't really prog - it was just included in the mix when someone asked for Genesis: Selling England by the Pound and I didn't have a clean copy, so they settled for Phil Collins.

vinylphilemag

WBF Founding Member
Apr 30, 2010
Kelowna, BC
www.vinylphilemag.com
Very cool! What better way to introduce a new generation of people to our hobby than to play music with which they can identify, on a smokin' hot system?!

garylkoh

Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
Another pair playing in over the weekend to an empty room. No party this time - too busy and the customer wants it quick. This time, it's the full meal deal - see how wide the wings are compared to pictures of the last pair. It's also in a darker, high gloss carbon fiber..... and it's got gold screws. Guess which country it is going to :p

Gary & Dragons.jpg

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
Another pair playing in over the weekend to an empty room. No party this time - too busy and the customer wants it quick. This time, it's the full meal deal - see how wide the wings are compared to pictures of the last pair. It's also in a darker, high gloss carbon fiber..... and it's got gold screws. Guess which country it is going to :p

View attachment 4745

-----Thailand?

Peter Breuninger

[Industry Expert] Member Sponsor
Jul 20, 2010
I see a contest developing here.

garylkoh

Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
It's a real challenge to photograph these - try to show the glossyness of the finish, the interesting pattern of the carbon fiber, and the gold accents. Would probably need a better photographer and a full-sized studio to really do them justice! Here they are on top of our workbench - being packed up already for shipping.

Gary & Dragon.jpg

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing