Is United Home Audio the BEST tape deck there is? Other than $$$, why choose another tape deck?

caesar

May 30, 2010
In my experience, every time I have heard the United Home Audio tape deck at a show, that room is a best of show contender. You can just sit back and enjoy the music for hours.

Anyone prefer other tape decks? How different do the others sound?

Other than money, why would anyone buy another tape deck?

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
UHA is about the only deck you can buy that comes with a warranty. Yes, I feel there are better decks out there now, but they are 20-30 years old and you need to sink a boat load of money into. For the money and trouble-free knowledge that you're getting a solid machine, Greg's decks are a no-brainer!!!

I'd put them against a stock Studer A80/820 or ATR-102 any day!

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
In my opinion they are for a readily available, turn-key solution that is a relatively portable with a compact foot print and has a warranty. There will be readily available parts for a long time too.

I would love a pristine A80 or A820 with a matched Doshi pre too. Getting a well sorted/in spec Studer is not easy nor cheap. It was the primary reason I went with UHA for my reference deck.

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
Overhere telefunken and philips were the most wanted in the recording industry , a well known recording engineer told me , mainly because they were more reliable then the studer , dont want a break down in the middle of a unrepeatable recording chance ;)
M 15 A sounds gorgious as well and has better/ easier tapehandling they come for a reasonable price overhere

Last edited:

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
Other than money, why would anyone buy another tape deck?

You gotta do something in life :D

i ve got 3 now next one would be the philips https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PO9nzwqps0Q

never heard the UHA would love to

I think the UHA, of the choices I know about, is the safest way to go for most people. and I've recommended them and respect that others do too.

but at the top of the UHA price range around $20k and above, you get into a price range where good solid ATR-102's and nice Studer A80's and A-820's plus good custom output electronics become choices. and in that league those more potentially capable transports do present good alternatives. there might still be trade-offs involved so it's not cut and dried one way or the other. and especially with the Studer's, support is more challenging.

so there are reasons to buy other tape decks. but there are reasons not to, too.

srs148

Jan 3, 2016
UHA is about the only deck you can buy that comes with a warranty...

You can buy a newly rebuilt ATR102 with warranty and replacement parts will be readily available for a long time to come from ATR Services for far less than the UHA upper-end machines. I'm guessing at this point low to mid-teens for an ATR - the UHA machines approach $20-25k depending on which options you go with.

Assuming all things are equal from an sonic perspective (even at the high-end of the UHA product offerings, the ATR must surely still hold its own considering that it's one of the top mastering tape decks ever), you have greater flexibility with an ATR machine than a UHA deck. Namely, ability to quickly switch between tape formats as well as capability to handle up to 14" reels.

I'm not saying that the UHA machines aren't great - I haven't heard one myself so I'm not qualified to offer a comparative opinion. Rather, I'm offering an alternative that is not represented yet in this thread.

Last edited:
Jan 18, 2012
Drobak Norway
The UHA is despite all efforts still based on a Tascam BR 20 as far as I know
with respect to precision tape transports and mass loaded torsional rigidity, I rest my case......
best
Leif

c1ferrari

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 15, 2010
I have immense respect for what came before...
Studers, ATR's, T-funks, Nagras, Stellavoxes, MCI's, Sonys, et al.,
and were employed in rigorous professional environments.

I may be different than others here in that I record, too.
UHA is yet, another option.

Vive la difference! :cool:

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
You can buy a newly rebuilt ATR102 with warranty and replacement parts will be readily available for a long time to come from ATR Services for far less than the UHA upper-end machines. I'm guessing at this point low to mid-teens for an ATR - the UHA machines approach $20-25k depending on which options you go with.

The UHA machines start at $6500
I've had 2 ATR's with one having Aria electronics at over $20k. I never really warmed up to them. The Studer transport is a better transport, so this is why I started to use them in the studio. The Studer, ATR, Nagra-T and MCI are large format professional recorders. I will put money up against any prosumer deck saying it will never surpass the tape handling capabilities of the UHA.
The only stock part of a UHA deck is the case. Everything else is custom made.
I've seen prices of Studer A820's reach as high as $60k!! WTF??

astrotoy

VIP/Donor
May 24, 2010
SF Bay Area
Another advantage to a real pro machine is that you can play 1/2" tapes. Major disadvantage is that they take up a big chunk of real estate (spoken knowingly, since I have two ATR-102s and am not running a studio), so for many, a prosumer machine like the UHA's makes a lot of sense. UHA machines and JCorders, even the Technics 1500 series are also quite attractive, while most real pro machines are not.

Larry

PS. I think ATR Services rebuilt machines are currently in mid teen's and higher, approaching the UHA machine. Of course the ATAE Studer A820's are double and more the UHA machine. (Correct me if I am wrong on these prices) That said, most people acquire used Ampex ATR-102's and Studer A820s for much less, and have them serviced by the many (particularly true for Ampex in the US) fine techs. I think a similar statement can be made for the big Studers in Europe.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Independently of all the other factors that had been referred by WBF members there is a strong point for Studer - all the technical and service manuals in several languages are easily and freely available at ftp://ftp.studer.ch/Public/Products/Recording_Analog/.

Also most genuine spare parts are easily available from eBay sellers, particularly for the A80.

Jan 18, 2012
Drobak Norway
I agree.
and since I have 2 identical A80 RC its always easy to swap cards and compare for possible faults etc
1 is set up for pure 2 and 4 track repro and the other for recording...
real estate in the living room was an issue, but my wife is a gem and understands.......

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
BTW, it is mandatory if you want to take the A80 from the trolley ...

Attachments

• g1.jpg
    g1.jpg
    46.7 KB · Views: 413
Jan 18, 2012
Drobak Norway
ha-ha....I lift it by hand...good practise.....I pull it forward in the trolley, tilt it up 90 degrees and grab in the frame on the sides....

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing