Atlas SL arrived

XV-1

May 24, 2010
Sydney
Atlas is king. It will show the strengths and weaknesses in your system.

Ron, Are you game? ;)

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
I definitely am not game. :) Sorry XV-1!

I think both the AS-2000 and the Pendragons may have that characteristic. I am already a bit concerned about that combination being a bit on the analytical side. I don't want the cartridge to tilt in that direction as well.

I do not cotton to the "pure neutrality, hear the warts and all" philosophy in this hobby. I just don't hear that kind of sound in live music.

But I think I really do like the Etna SL.

Blue58

Jan 20, 2013
London, UK

fbhifi

Dec 20, 2013
Okatie, SC
Ron, You are definitely on the right track focusing your attention on the Etna SL. A few months ago I got an Etna SL after years with the great, if slightly threadbare, Ortofon Anna. The Etna finishes the picture that the Anna takes to about 90%. The Etna exhibits ZERO stridency, only pure musical extension. It seems to complete the harmonic structure, over the Anna, that is essential to natural music reproduction. Before getting the Etna SL I spoke to enough people who all agreed that the Etna SL is the sweet spot in the line. I always greatly enjoyed the Anna. I LOVE the Etna SL.

XV-1

May 24, 2010
Sydney
Someone tested the Lyra phono cable?

I have. I preferred my Nordost Valhalla phono cable which seemed a little clearer/pure.

I may not have put enough hours on the cable, but the cable just did not do it for me. might have been a copper vs silver thing.

jcarr

Mar 24, 2012
Tokyo
www.lyraaudio.com
Shane, I acknowledge that you may have simply preferred the Nordost. That said, did you try increasing the phono stage input resistor value when you used the PhonoPipe? The extremely low capacitance cable structure (32pF for 1.2m) was designed primarily to facilitate the use of less loading on the cartridge.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Jonathan, you use the FR 64 with the Lyra? Silver wire? Any other tweaks?

jcarr

Mar 24, 2012
Tokyo
www.lyraaudio.com
Jonathan, you use the FR 64 with the Lyra? Silver wire? Any other tweaks?

These days we are using the SAT, which has a captive tonearm cable.

But for any tonearm that uses the universal headshell system (including the FRs), the headshell contacts and wiring are a decided weak point.

The sound quality can be improved by providing each headshell with a dedicated wiring harness that is long enough to reach the phono stage, and made of thin Litz (or magnet) wire so that the tonearm motion is not impeded. Gently twist the plus and minus wires together, enough to avoid picking up noise or hum, but not so much that the harness stiffens and impedes the motion of the tonearm.

The wires should be secured at one or two locations along the tonearm tube, and another at the rear panel of the turntable plinth. Do make sure that the wiring harness is generous around the tonearm bearing - coiling it, arching it over the bearing, securing it to a "V" shaped recess directly above the bearing should all be suitable. The harness can be terminated in RCAs or XLRs, whatever is appropriate for your phono stage.

If you attach a small Velcro wrap around the arm tube, and a second Velcro strip or some kind of clip at the plinth rear panel, you should be able to secure and release the wiring harness quickly and easily.

When you remove the headshell, its wiring harness goes with it, therefore you will need a storage location with sufficient room to accommodate and protect both headshell and harness.

BTW, it may be safer to leave only the ground lead portion of a ready-made tonearm cable connected to the phono stage, this is to keep the tonearm grounded and prevent hum or electrostatic issues.

Mechanically the universal headshell socket again leaves much to be desired (even when using 2-pin headshells), but simply cleaning up the electrical system should deliver a rewarding upgrade to the sound.

XV-1

May 24, 2010
Sydney
Shane, I acknowledge that you may have simply preferred the Nordost. That said, did you try increasing the phono stage input resistor value when you used the PhonoPipe? The extremely low capacitance cable structure (32pF for 1.2m) was designed primarily to facilitate the use of less loading on the cartridge.

Hi Jonathan great to hear from you.

I loaded the phono higher at 1k. Sounded better, but yes I still preferred the Nordost.
I also preferred the Nordost and the Lyra to Thales own phono cable.

Btw - congrats on the Atlas SL. Wonderful cartridge, although for the first 20 hours I thought I may have made a mistake getting my Atlas rebuilt as a SL :))

The Atlas SL is singing with a purity that the standard Atlas did not quite have. You do have the tendancy to listen to it louder thou - not sure if that is the lower output as the micro dynamics are not as lively as the non SL or the purity of the sound. I guess that is why you recommend lots of gain for the SL series - i use at 70db vs 60 for the non SL.

That said, I could live with either without any problems.

For me, Atlas SL is top dog :D

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
These days we are using the SAT, which has a captive tonearm cable.

But for any tonearm that uses the universal headshell system (including the FRs), the headshell contacts and wiring are a decided weak point.

The sound quality can be improved by providing each headshell with a dedicated wiring harness that is long enough to reach the phono stage, and made of thin Litz (or magnet) wire so that the tonearm motion is not impeded. Gently twist the plus and minus wires together, enough to avoid picking up noise or hum, but not so much that the harness stiffens and impedes the motion of the tonearm.

The wires should be secured at one or two locations along the tonearm tube, and another at the rear panel of the turntable plinth. Do make sure that the wiring harness is generous around the tonearm bearing - coiling it, arching it over the bearing, securing it to a "V" shaped recess directly above the bearing should all be suitable. The harness can be terminated in RCAs or XLRs, whatever is appropriate for your phono stage.

If you attach a small Velcro wrap around the arm tube, and a second Velcro strip or some kind of clip at the plinth rear panel, you should be able to secure and release the wiring harness quickly and easily.

When you remove the headshell, its wiring harness goes with it, therefore you will need a storage location with sufficient room to accommodate and protect both headshell and harness.

BTW, it may be safer to leave only the ground lead portion of a ready-made tonearm cable connected to the phono stage, this is to keep the tonearm grounded and prevent hum or electrostatic issues.

Mechanically the universal headshell socket again leaves much to be desired (even when using 2-pin headshells), but simply cleaning up the electrical system should deliver a rewarding upgrade to the sound.

Thank you so much for showing technique. I am a fan of your carts...having AtlasSL and Etna Mono. Also waiting to try your new step up.

Kind regards,
Tang

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Great detailed tips, John. Thanks.

kleinbje

Dec 20, 2012
CT
This thread is starting to gnaw at me. I'm running a DV XV1T which I love, an upgrade from a Kleos SL. I enjoy the improved dynamics and treble response. What would the Etna(SL) or Atlas(SL) bring to the party over the DV? Thanks.

Sunnyboy1956

Member Sponsor
Feb 22, 2014
New Delhi, India
Someone tested the Lyra phono cable?
Hi Gian
I have the Lyra Phonopipe servicing 2 of my arms ie Durand Kairos with Etna SL and a Ortofon 309D with a Miyajima Madake. In addition all cable runs between both my two SUTs and the phonostage are Lyra Phonopipes.
Extremely happy with the results. One of the Lyra Pipes is in rehab in Japan and I am expecting an Audiomica phono cable from Poland to arrive any day. Will be happy to report results.
The Phonopipe has my highest recommendation
Pradeep

Reactions: Odd Harry

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Have you tried the Lyra on the ortofon arm? How is that?

Sunnyboy1956

Member Sponsor
Feb 22, 2014
New Delhi, India
Hi Ked
The Ortofon 309D has a Lyra Pipe with a din cable. If you mean trying a Lyra cart with the Ortofon arm I had the Atlas mounted on it sometime back. I achieved superior results mounting the Atlas on the Talea 2 which is not surprising as it’s a way better arm.
Currently intrigued whether I should upgrade the Atlas to Atlas SL and get a 4th tonearm but unlikely as I am in retirement mode
Hope this helps
Pradeep

jcarr

Mar 24, 2012
Tokyo
www.lyraaudio.com
I loaded the phono higher at 1k. Sounded better, but yes I still preferred the Nordost.

Hi Shane: It is too bad that your phono stage doesn't allow you to go higher than 1kohm. As the electrical load on the cartridge becomes lighter, the sound becomes more delicate and airier, soundstage expands, yet dynamics also increase. It is definitely worthwhile trying (phono stage permitting).

Wonderful cartridge, although for the first 20 hours I thought I may have made a mistake getting my Atlas rebuilt as a SL :))

We don't go out of our way to recommend the SL (either Atlas or Etna) to our customers. Our stance is that if the customer isn't certain whether the lower output will work in his system, he should probably desist (smile). In fact, I know some customers who love their SLs, but nonetheless have told us that when it is time for a replacement, they will revert to a standard output version.

the micro dynamics are not as lively as the non SL

IME the SL dynamics are completely a phono stage issue - if the phono stage is up to it, there is absolutely no reason why the dynamics (either micro or macro) of the SL should be inferior to the standard output version.

I guess that is why you recommend lots of gain for the SL series - i use at 70db vs 60 for the non SL.

I agree. Unless your speakers are high-efficiency horns, 70~72dB sounds about right for the SLs. Actually, I am a bit surprised that you find 60dB sufficient with the standard output Atlas - I would normally expect 64~66dB to truly satisfy.

For me, Atlas SL is top dog :D

Thank you for your very kind words!

jcarr

Mar 24, 2012
Tokyo
www.lyraaudio.com
Thank you so much for showing technique.

Hi Tang. It may be better if I add two photos to show such a setup. Not beautiful, but gets the job done (smile).

waiting to try your new step up.

The black Erodion. Once it arrives, please describe how you get along with it.

I am a fan of your carts...having AtlasSL and Etna Mono.

I am honored! Thank you .

universal headshell with one-piece wiring harness 1.jpg
universal headshell with one-piece wiring harness 2.jpg

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok

Put on your ear phone. Here is another taste of AtlasSL. Recorded from bare bone Samsung S8.
Next time will be Scheherazade that you like.

Tang

jcarr

Mar 24, 2012
Tokyo
www.lyraaudio.com
This thread is starting to gnaw at me. I'm running a DV XV1T which I love, an upgrade from a Kleos SL. I enjoy the improved dynamics and treble response. What would the Etna(SL) or Atlas(SL) bring to the party over the DV? Thanks.

Hi kleinbje:
All of us should maintain ourselves in this hobby at a level that is both sustainable and comfortable. Considering that you already have a cartridge that you are extremely satisfied with, would you really be comfortable making a change, just because something newer has managed to grab the spotlight?

There are natural cycles to change our gear - after a few years it is understandable to want something new and different. This is also part of our personal growing process - the perspective of a design that was crafted artfully and wisely may take several years to fully absorb (as it will manifest itself in a multitude of ways, depending on the LP). But once we have studied thoroughly and fully grasped what the design has to say, then we can in good conscience "graduate" on to a different perspective.

If you truly enjoy the XV1T, my advice would be stay put, until you feel that the time to move on has come.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing