$5K to $12K stand mount speaker recommends

thedudeabides

Jan 16, 2011
Alto, NM
Hi all,

Am moving and looking at size downsizing from my MBL 116's.

The Joseph Audio Pulsar ($7K) looks quite intriguing.

Will likely mate with a similar performing (quick, tuneful) sub.

Medium size room max. Needs to "scale" well regarding image size and play reasonably loud (95db peaks +/-) with all musical genres.

Any ideas (including speaker / sub) combos appreciated.

Thanks in advance for your suggestions.

Gordon

FrantzM

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Hi all,

Am moving and looking at size downsizing from my MBL 116's.

The Joseph Audio Pulsar ($7K) looks quite intriguing.

Will likely mate with a similar performing (quick, tuneful) sub.

Medium size room max. Needs to "scale" well regarding image size and play reasonably loud (95db peaks +/-) with all musical genres.

Any ideas (including speaker / sub) combos appreciated.

Thanks in advance for your suggestions.

Gordon

What about the MBL 120 (126?) MSRP is $17K but some haggling or 2nd hand could place it within your budget... Haven't heard but you would stay within the family sound...

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Get the Heco direkt from Germany for 2700 euro, or their bigger brother Dreiklang. They are extremely satisfying speakers until you decide to upgrade to dream speakers

thedudeabides

Jan 16, 2011
Alto, NM
What about the MBL 120 (126?) MSRP is $17K but some haggling or 2nd hand could place it within your budget... Haven't heard but you would stay within the family sound...

Hi Frantz,

You are correct. I've already contacted Jeremy at MBL to begin the search. This is a very likely scenario.

Thanks for the input.

Best.

SCAudiophile

Sep 11, 2010
Greer South Carolina (USA)
TAD Micro Evolution 1 were amazing at Axpona

Another vote for the TAD ME1s, and CR1s if you can find them used close to this price range.

Legacy Audio Caliber HD with the Wavelet processor is also a top contender for kick-ass speaker in this price range

thedudeabides

Jan 16, 2011
Alto, NM
Chris and SC,

Thanks for the TAD ME 1 recommend. Another serious contender.

wisnon

Dec 12, 2011
Too cheap?

The Heil Aulos Bookshelf speaker:
http://www.precide.ch/test/Heil/f_aulos BS_stereoprestigeimage 55.pdf
http://www.precide.ch/test/Heil/d_Aulos_Bookshelf_HE_2010.pdf
http://www.precide.ch/test/Heil/e_AV MAX_India 2013_Heil AMT Aulos_w_note.pdf

http://www.precide.ch/eng/eheil/eheil.htm

IIRC, the Bookshelf speaker costs about 2,300 euros and the subwoofer stand is 1,500euros. Total price will be cheaper than the Harbeths, who prices went up a lot some 15 years ago when the Americans discovered them and increased the demand.

audio.bill

May 27, 2013
Chicago suburbs
The Wilson Benesch Vertex monitors come bolted to integral stands and are superb, and their current US retail is I believe around $9K depending on selected finish. Being part of their top reference level Geometry series, they use the same custom made proprietary drivers as many of their much more expensive models. I find their performance to be of reference caliber within their bass extension limitations, and at their price offer an exceptional value in the high end market. Definitely worthy of your consideration if you have the opportunity for an audition!

caesar

May 30, 2010
Dude,
I would second Frantz's suggestion of the smaller MBL. Once you get used to that 3D effect, almost everything is a let down. But I also think you may be better off trading your pass amp for the new mbl noble line electronics, which are fantastic despite being class d. They have a fabulous integrated or separates also. Everyone at Axpona was talking about how good mbl sounded with class d - didn't lose a thing! Another option is to find a used symphonic line Kraft. I use 4 of those monos on my mbl 101, for the ultimate in sonic bliss.

If you want stand-mounted speakers, you may (if you are lucky!) find b&w silver signatures, which are under $5k. Slap on a quality tube amp, like CAT, or again used symphonic line Kraft and your system will destroy 80% of the big megabuck systems out there.

Another great option is magico mini or smaller vivids. Again, If you use the above amp suggestions to submit the speakers, it will be awesome. (Microstrip has had both silver digs and magico mini, so I hope he can chime with the differences).

Good luck!

thedudeabides

Jan 16, 2011
Alto, NM
RE: MBL 120. Thanks Caesar.

Have you or anyone heard?

Need a sub or are these good to the mid / upper 30's.

To all, you all are an amazing source of information.

Thank you so much. :D

Gordon

caesar

May 30, 2010
RE: MBL 120. Thanks Caesar.

Have you or anyone heard?

Need a sub or are these good to the mid / upper 30's.

To all, you all are an amazing source of information.

Thank you so much. :D

Gordon

Yes, I have. And Neil grader of tas has a well-written review of 120s you can search for on Google that nicely captures the experience.

If set up properly, you don't "need" subs. It's always a very nice to have - but after you get the right electronics in place. Without setup, good amp, and source, MBL is not worth it - because it's so transparent to music. So I would spend cash there first.

Also, I just saw on audiogon someone is selling a brand new open-box Noble line integrated amp at a decent discount. Personally, I would snatch that right away - and sell it without much loss, if doesn't work out. If you are serious about 120s, it's a no brainer. Most people don't realize how good these new Noble electronics are, but after axpona and after Atkinson's review in upcoming stereophile, the information will be out there. The 120s with noble electronics will be even better than what Gader is raving about.

thedudeabides

Jan 16, 2011
Alto, NM
caesar,

I did read the TAS review.

You're convinced that the Corona integrated will outperform my CJ ET5 - Pass Labs X250.5 pre / amp combo? :confused:

Thanks again for the input and recommends.

FrantzM

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
caesar,

You're convinced that the Corona integrated will outperform my CJ ET5 - Pass Labs X250.5 pre / amp combo? :confused:

Don't know enough about the Noble line to comment on its sound... I wouldn't however go on a forklift change. I would get adivse you keep your electronics get the 120 in your room if possible and work you way to a pair of decent subs.. No!! They don't need to be the baddest and yuuuuggest subs.. a pair of JL Audio F112 or SVS SB-13 Ultra or Rythmik or ... will make a world of difference in any system if proper care is taken in the integration, that means the use of DSP and EQ... SOmething many audiophiles take as the Devil incarnate. Our hobby is full of myths and two of those are the impossibility of integrating subs with speakers of distinction and that DSP is universally bad. The reality is that speakers with decent bottom end are paradoxically the better candidates for integration with multiple subs... From what the reviews say the 120 has a good bottom end but nothing that would fool you in thinking you are listening to its bigger brothers. Multiple subs properly integrated will take the combos closer to the bigger models perhaps with even better low end .. ;)

thedudeabides

Jan 16, 2011
Alto, NM
Sage advice Frantz. That's my "gut" plan at this point.

Thank you for chiming in.

caesar

May 30, 2010
caesar,

Hi Dude,

Yes, I do. And Frantz makes great points as well - intellectual diversity is very valuable. You will definitely be taking a risk with a sound different than what you are used to, let alone more money. But again, people waiting to get a seat in the MBL room at the shows don't complain about any deficiency in the sound of the Noble line...

The reason for my suggestion is that in reality it's very difficult to get the MBL to sound "right" with non-mbl electronics. The few brands who are successful have a long history of doing it. Symphonic line kraft, also a german brand, has a long history as a substitute for mbl amps. CAT is another, as the designer's amps and preamps have been used with mbl since the '80s.

I think the new Noble line electronics are as good or better than the 8-10 year MBL old Reference electronics. The MBL reference preamp currently retails at $25-30k. You may find it used for half of that, but that's the price of the entire integrated amp(!), which will also include an amplifier section that will provide much more current to the speaker, and grip it better, than your Pass for greater dynamic impact, and will squeeze every musical nuance / last bit of emotion of whatever recording you play.

Good Luck!

thedudeabides

Jan 16, 2011
Alto, NM
caesar,

If I did buy the Corona Integrated, I can sell my CJ and my Pass and put money in my pocket.

MtnHam

Industry Expert
Jan 12, 2014
Nothern California Wine Country
Another to consider is Fritz Speakers Carrera 7 Be. At $3500 it's less than you budget, but well worth considering. Fritz offers a 30 day money back trial. I am using a pair in my City system, and am very pleased.

Reviews:
Part-Time Audiophile Review: Fritz Speakers Carrera 7 Be ...
https://parttimeaudiophile.com › Loudspeakers
Mar 5, 2017 - What I brought home with me that evening was a pair of Fritz's top of the line Carrera 7 Be speakers, retailing at $3500 per pair. Judging from ...
Fritz Carrera Rev 7 BE bookshelf speakers Review - Dagogo
www.dagogo.com/fritz-carrera-rev-7-be-bookshelf-speakers-review
The Carrera Rev 7 BE speakers are the second model I have reviewed that are designed and built by Fritz Heiler. In the summer of 2014, I reviewed the ...
Fritz Carrera BE Specifications - Fritz Speakers
www.fritzspeakers.com/CarreraBESpecifications.htm
Custom high-definition loudspeakers offering superior performance and exceptional value for today's modern home theater and audio ... FRITZ CARRERA.
Line Break - Fritz Speakers
www.fritzspeakers.com/sound.asp
Fritz loudspeakers feature the same top quality drivers that are used by many highly rated loudspeaker ... Carrera 7 BE Part Time Audiophile.com review.
Fritz Carrera BE Loudspeakers - Positive Feedback
positive-feedback.com/reviews/hardware-reviews/fritz-carrera/
Aug 9, 2016 - The drivers on the new Fritz Carrera BE Loudspeakers have been used in one combination or another in more than a few speaker designs to ...
Fritz Speakers Carrera 7 Be Loudspeakers- review - What's Best Forum
www.whatsbestforum.com › ... › Speakers
Mar 5, 2017 - 1 post - ?1 author
New post on Part-Time Audiophile: Review: Fritz Speakers Carrera 7 Be Loudspeakers ...
LISTENING IMPRESSIONS: Some Quality Time With the Fritz Carrera ...
https://stevefolberg.wordpress.com/.../listening-impressions-some-quality-time-with-th...
Feb 2, 2016 - As with most of the speakers Fritz is offering these days, the Carrera Rev 7 BE is a two-way, vented, stand-mount model. Like all Fritz's offerings ...
Fritzspeakers Carrera BE Loudspeakers | 10 Audio
www.10audio.com/fritzspeakers_carrera-be.htm
Dec 14, 2016 - The Fritzspeakers Carrera BE is a stand mounted 2-way speaker. The 7 inch paper cone Scanspeak Revelator mid-woofer has the SD-1 ...

Last edited:

thedudeabides

Jan 16, 2011
Alto, NM

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing