Latest news on Lexicon MP-20 Processor

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Amir,

A while ago you explained me that the "perfect audiphile" DAC is not supposed to have HDMI inputs because of some disturbances that the video signal (even if zero, in the case of an audio-only digital stream) would have introduced.
Oh, I thought I said that HDMI should be an available input but that my preference remains for other digital audio interfaces due to better chance of getting good audio out of them. :)

What is your prediction with regards to this issue in the case of the MC20? Do you think the MC20 could be a control center for a music lover system?
It certainly can be. The MP-20 will have a high-performance room correction in the digital domain. So unless your room is very well designed without it, that advantage especially in the lower frequencies will be quite significant over a DAC. I know I used to enjoy my TacT processor with music due to that reason.

To make sure nothing is given up, I would drive it with S/PDIF from a music server rather than HDMI. And if it allows me to turn off the video circuits in it, I would do that too.

Another question: is the volume control in the digital or analog domain? An analog signal is always converted to digital before going through the MC20?
Thanks a lot for your info :)
I don't know. I will try to find out and report back :).

Roger Dressler

Industry Expert
Aug 4, 2011
Oregon
Another question: is the volume control in the digital or analog domain? An analog signal is always converted to digital before going through the MC20?
Hey, that's two questions.;)

As to the first, the volume control will be analog just like every other pre-pro on the planet (ok, except Meridian and Goldmund :p). No?

As for the second -- good question!

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Adding on.... The we way we configure our combo Audio/Video system is to have a PC music server connected to the processor using USB and then the Blu-ray source via HDMI. That way, you have an optimized path for 2-channel music and with just a flip of the switch, multi-channel capability. With Lexicon MP-20 you will further have the ability of turning that 2-channel source into multi-channel using QuantumLogic.

Ron Party

WBF Founding Member
Apr 30, 2010
Oakland, CA
QLS most likely will be how I listen to all 2 channel source music. I've never heard 12.4 but am itching to try it. I also envision hi-rez music streaming directly from a server over HDMI to the Lex.

docvale

Mar 21, 2011
Briarcliff Manor, NY
Adding on.... The we way we configure our combo Audio/Video system is to have a PC music server connected to the processor using USB and then the Blu-ray source via HDMI. That way, you have an optimized path for 2-channel music and with just a flip of the switch, multi-channel capability.

Do you mean you can input 2ch digital music from a PC/Mac through USB? I thought the USB port on the back is for service use only... :confused:

With Lexicon MP-20 you will further have the ability of turning that 2-channel source into multi-channel using QuantumLogic.

This could be cool, but also somehow "not-orthodox" :)
Let's say that this pre-pro would be a real champion for music if, in addition to the capability to work as a high-performance DAC, DRC and pre, it displayed also a full analog high quality path to preamplify analog sources :)

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Well, CES was great other than this really, really bummer news. Lexicon MP-20 is no more! Due to some critical part issues that were not going to be available much longer, the product is discontinued and MP-20 will not be produced :(.

There is significant hope that the audio innovations there find life elsewhere. Where and how, I can't say. But the hope is there. Keeping fingers crossed.

For now, if you want its room correction, JBL Synthesis SDEC-4500 does the job (and then some). I am hoping they implement QLS there so that at least we have a pro solution while we wait for a consumer version.

Edit: I corrected the statement that the "project is shut down." It is not shut down but MP-20 will not be produced.

rblnr

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 3, 2010
NYC/NJ
Wow, this is disappointing. With all the arguments of this processor or that room correction being better than the others, I lost interest after hearing the MP20 demo at Cedia Among good ones, they're basically all more alike than different IMO. But QLS was something entirely new and entirely captivating based on the demo.

Amir, you might know better than I but after all the development that went into the MP20, is it not surprising that some parts issues totally derailed it? Guess it depends on the specific parts but wouldn't you think some workaround/re-engineering be possible in a cost-worthwhile way given the development costs?

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Amir, you might know better than I but after all the development that went into the MP20, is it not surprising that some parts issues totally derailed it?
Not surprising at all as I know the specifics of what caused the issue but don't have permission to disclose it :). I will provide some more detail as I am able. For now, it most definitely was parts availability and critical ones that are not interchangeable.

Guess it depends on the specific parts but wouldn't you think some workaround/re-engineering be possible in a cost-worthwhile way given the development costs?
Well, anything is possible if you throw enough money at it :). The question is whether it makes economic sense. Today's VLSIs are pretty function specific and it is not at all easy to change them with new parts. Harman has spent millions of dollars developing MP-20 until now. So the decision to not move forward must have been a tough one and all the issues like this considered.

Let's stand by a bit and see what develops out of this. They realize as we all do that there is a lot of great technology here that they need to bring to market in some manner.

audioguy

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Near Atlanta, GA but not too near!
This really, really, really sucks. So the only two high end SSP products with REAL (time based) room correction that are anywhere near I price I could consider are Theta (maybe available in about 300 years based on recent history using Dirac Live) and the AP20i from Datasat (also using Dirac Live). And since Datsat is a new company in a crappy economy and a very small niche market, what are the chances for long term stability? That, in fact, one of the key reasons I had so much interest in the Lexicon piece (in addition to the QLS logic I heard as CEDIA) since Harman has reasonably deep pockets.

I am befuddled. It appears that I might be keeping my Integra a lot longer!!!

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing