Modifying a PS Audio P10 power generator

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong
The Japanese yen is low and a friend of mine bought some Furutech's newest GTX-D(R) NCF dual-sockets during his family vacation trip to Japan.
His P10 has already past the warranty period and he is a very itchy audiophile so :

180552e6hs2ggg07102lm7.jpg
180552uh2vc0v044ggjc4w.jpg
180552iguincv0jdiz05zi.jpg
180552ti3990iii3g0i680.jpg
180553fdd24ztdrdyhrrzi.jpg

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong
Finished!

180553fm5imidlllnmwhzd.jpg

The new Furutech NCF Series is Rhodium-plated but is quieter yet more musical than the previous Rhodium-plated models.
Comparing the original sockets with the new NCF sockets on this P10 is easy and the NCF advantages are confirmed.

Kingsrule

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2011
Never, ever put the ac wires into the holes on the plug.
Always use the screw...holds MUCH better and you get a lot more contact area.

Speedskater

Sep 30, 2010
Cleveland Ohio
Never, ever put the ac wires into the holes on the plug.
Always use the screw...holds MUCH better and you get a lot more contact area.
OK, I'm six weeks late.
On these receptacles, I don't think that the holes work like the cheap back-stab spring loaded receptacles. They are just wire guides to the screw terminals. Other brands have this arrangement and it works very well.

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong
OK, I'm six weeks late.
On these receptacles, I don't think that the holes work like the cheap back-stab spring loaded receptacles. They are just wire guides to the screw terminals. Other brands have this arrangement and it works very well.

Agree!
The Furutech GTX series of sockets have curved internal camping plates and other proprietary designs.
In fact Furutech recommends putting the internal wires into these dedicated holes for clamping.

images.jpg

My friends and I compared attaching the internal wires via the holes vs onto the external screw with ring connectors.
The former gives much better sonics.

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
Don't use back-stabs, ever. Unless you like fires.

The Furutech's look fine to me with their nice clamps.

thedudeabides

Jan 16, 2011
Alto, NM
I tend to be on the subjective side of the audio equation but can you please explain how you determined that the NCF model is "quieter and more musical" than the previous model and how attaching the internal wires via the holes vs onto the external screw with ring connectors "gives much better sonics"?

cjf

Nov 19, 2012
Why is it that almost every time I get a peak inside various gear sold at typical Audiophile prices I walk away totally unimpressed with what I see :(

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
Why is it that almost every time I get a peak inside various gear sold at typical Audiophile prices I walk away totally unimpressed with what I see :(

Do you really want to know what "impressive" costs? Also consider that what meets sound requirements doesn't have to adhere to any aesthetic ones. While I prefer things to look good, that doesn't always align with best engineering practices or necessities.

Here's a picture of what something looks like that cost as much in parts as the entire P10 does to buy ($5k).

pcredo 003.jpg

nc42acc

Member Sponsor
Nov 10, 2015
North Carolina
I kinda get most of what I see Folsom but am afraid to ask. Impressive!

Do you really want to know what "impressive" costs? Also consider that what meets sound requirements doesn't have to adhere to any aesthetic ones. While I prefer things to look good, that doesn't always align with best engineering practices or necessities.

Here's a picture of what something looks like that cost as much in parts as the entire P10 does to buy ($5k).

View attachment 26114

cjf

Nov 19, 2012
What were you expecting to see inside a regenerative power conditioner?

Well... let's start here for now:

image.jpg

I've seen better case work on tower computers on eBay for $50

I've seen bigger transformers feeding DAC's let alone a device specificly built to generate power

I'm not sure there is even need to get into price here but even Mr Magoo can see that there are better built options on the market for what they are asking for these.

cjf

Nov 19, 2012

View attachment 26114

That's fine.. I can at least see parts worth spending $5k on in this one. The other one.....not so much!

nc42acc

Member Sponsor
Nov 10, 2015
North Carolina
We can agree to disagree then. Regenerative power doesn't require massive transformers.

Well... let's start here for now:

View attachment 26116

I've seen better case work on tower computers on eBay for $50

I've seen bigger transformers feeding DAC's let alone a device specificly built to generate power

I'm not sure there is even need to get into price here but even Mr Magoo can see that there are better built options on the market for what they are asking for these.

nc42acc

Member Sponsor
Nov 10, 2015
North Carolina
From PS Audio

The PerfectWave P5 Power Plant takes your incoming AC power and converts it to DC, similar to what comes out of a battery, and then with patented PS Audio high efficiency analog electronics, regenerates and produces new sine-wave-perfect, regulated high current AC power. In the process of regeneration any problems on your power line such as low voltage, distorted waveforms, sagging power and noise are eliminated. This is no traditional passive power conditioner.

mauidan

Member Sponsor
Aug 2, 2010
Pukalani, HI

View attachment 26114

Just a repackage of the Felix design from over on AC.

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
Just a repackage of the Felix design from over on AC.

Not really. Yes the CMC's are used in the Felix but everything thing else is different. The bybees were the biggest expense. But don't be fooled at first glance, for example the connectors to the bus bar are special heavy duty units that are so hard to crimp you have to take breaks between doing a few.

That one is a bit older, and doesn't feature a few updates in the photo, and doesn't feature several things that any subsequent ones will (partially by request of the owner not wanting certain items in it).

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing