What is currently the best analog to digital (A/D) converter?

marslo

VIP/Donor
May 2, 2014
Poland
Nagra does not make a dedicated A/D converter. It also includes the mic pre's, and hard drive. If you want to include the all-in-one devices, I'd suggest the following also.

Korg MR2000s
Korg MR2
Tascam DA-3000
Tascam DV-RA1000HD
IZ Technology Radar 6
Sound Devices
Genex AD8 and GX9000/9024

Bruce,
After I purchased Lampi dsd dac I tought about Korg MR2 as relatively inexpensvie solution for ripping my vinyls to dsd.
Which of converters you mentionned has the best P/SQ ratio in your opinion?

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
Bruce,
After I purchased Lampi dsd dac I tought about Korg MR2 as relatively inexpensvie solution for ripping my vinyls to dsd.
Which of converters you mentionned has the best P/SQ ratio in your opinion?

Forget the Korg MR2 and get the Tascam DA-3000. It's a great converter that records to SD cards up to DSD128fs. The best part about it is that it has digital in/out, so that if you want in the future, you can purchase a high-end A/D converter. But I doubt you would want to after you hear what the Tascam can do on its own. The DAC section leaves a lot to be desired, but you have the Lampi to take care of that end. All for <$1k USD. It's a steal.....

marslo

VIP/Donor
May 2, 2014
Poland
Thank you , I appreciate very much your suggestion.

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
Yes good tip bruce .
Next on my audiophile wishlist is a high quality camera /videocamera with a high quality recorder/microphone to make (outdoor nature ) recordings and play them over the stereo.
Digital aint that bad afterall :D

Last edited:

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
Yes good tip bruce .
Next on my audiophile wishlist is a high quality camera /videocamera with a high quality recorder/microphone to make (outdoor nature ) recordings and play them over the stereo.
Digital aint that bad afterall :D

I really like my camera... Canon VIXA G30. Can do 60fps...

Empirical Audio

Industry Expert
Oct 12, 2017
Great Pacific Northwest
www.empiricalaudio.com
I was impressed with the SQ of the Ayre QA-9

Steve N.
Empirical Audio

Amir

May 3, 2021
Tehran, Iran
www.amiraudio.com
PCM Analog to Digital Converter:

Weiss ADC2
Lavry AD122 Gold
Pacific Microsonics Model Two

Lee

Feb 3, 2011
Alpharetta, Georgia
The MSB and dCS ADCs are very good. The Korgs do a great job when modified. I also like the 7 Series from SoundDevices.

Loheswaran

Dec 19, 2014
I was very impressed with Ensemble and Burmester - both very compelling. I’m a huge fan of CAD - I’ve coveted them for awhile

dminches

Oct 22, 2011
Playback Designs Pinot

Looks like a nice unit. What have you compared it to? I assume you record to a computer with the Pinot?

chuck

Dec 19, 2011
San Diego
Looks like a nice unit. What have you compared it to? I assume you record to a computer with the Pinot?
Did not compare it to anything else. Record vinyl and R2R tape to DSD files for playback on MPD8. Andreas Koch discusses it in the most recent Audio Analyst YT.

dminches

Oct 22, 2011
Did not compare it to anything else. Record vinyl and R2R tape to DSD files for playback on MPD8. Andreas Koch discusses it in the most recent Audio Analyst YT.

Found it. With the Pinot do you record to your computer or do you capture the DSD output another way?

Audioseduction

Dec 6, 2010
FLORIDA
My reference DAC is the Holo Audio May KTE R2R Ladder DAC.

Alrainbow

Dec 11, 2013
I’m curious on one thought
how much does the ad matter compared to the da side ?
I’ve read not as much but has anyone done a comprehensive evaluation ?
non same brand as well
Bruce a while back liked msb for there ad conversion
if not using there brand to do the da what’s left using others

Ian B

Oct 19, 2020
I’m curious on one thought
how much does the ad matter compared to the da side ?
I’ve read not as much but has anyone done a comprehensive evaluation ?
non same brand as well
Bruce a while back liked msb for there ad conversion
if not using there brand to do the da what’s left using others
It matters a lot, and arguably is a much greater bottleneck than the playback deck, but you don't know that until you hear it on a really good DAC.

The best current production ADCs are Lavry Savitr, DAD AX32/Avid MTRX, Merging Horus, and JCF Latte (for those who like a more analog-esque sound). Pacific Microsonics Model 2 is still very popular decades later, but I personally think it needs an external clock to mitigate all the jitter. Prism ADA-8XR is still somewhat popular too.

The MSB ADC V are extremely rare in the wild, and was a bit of a bust for the company. A friend inquired to buy one, but apparently he'd have to order a batch of ten for MSB to consider it. I guess mastering engineer's weren't interested, but the one Ted Jensen has sounds excellent (though I wish he wouldn't clip it for loudness)

I own a Mytek Brooklyn ADC, which is also discontinued, but I think it sounds really good with an external power supply and compared well to the PM Model 2, if very different. (the Model 2 has an enormous PSU and was valued around 18k when they were originally built). I would really like to try the rare in the wild Playback Designs Pinot for DSD recording which is also supposed to be good according to Bruce.

A couple other fun ones are Burl B2 Bomber and B80 multichannel system. They use input transformers along with class A, and sound slightly colored and weighty like tape (but not as much as JCF converters). It's not necessarily a reference ADC, but they sound very musical and pleasing, especially for multichannel recordings.

Reactions: Alrainbow

Alrainbow

Dec 11, 2013
I’ve always wondered why a given track or album of seemingly the same analog master has a profound change
it just might be as you say
I like many have vinyl transfers
and while it’s a given the entire analog and pressing matters it’s still very good at times again can it be the AD converter
thanks all

DasguteOhr

Sep 26, 2013
Germany
Amazing recordings from digital/microphone/ vinyl to dsd.
AK 380, AK 320 or AK 300).

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing