Clearaudio Goldfinger Statement v2

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
I purchased my first Goldfinger Statement in 2011, wore it out and got a second one a year or so ago. Never had a problem with the cantilever. Setup is critical but easier cause it's exposed.

I think my Coralstone is tougher to dial in because of the cantilever position.

Frank, how would you describe the differences between the Goldfinger Statement and the Koetsu Coralstone? Which do you listen to more often?

Frank750

VIP/Donor
Jul 8, 2011
Frank, how would you describe the differences between the Goldfinger Statement and the Koetsu Coralstone? Which do you listen to more often?

Now I switch between them every 3 or 4 months. Thought about a second arm but haven't felt the need to move on it.

To me, Goldfinger has more detail, more dynamic, better bass. Coralstone is sweeter, smoother, better midrange. Better in this case being my opinion and what appeals to me. I'm not an absolute sound kind of guy. Different presentation but I like them both equally.

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
Awesome photos, Mike. Personally I like being able to see the cantilever easily - makes setup and queuing that much easier.

Would anyone be able to speak to the Goldfinger's sonics as it might compare to Dynavector XV-1t, Zyx Universe Premium, or an Ortofon A95/Anna? Currently I have the A95 and the Zyx Premium which are worlds apart and I've heard the Goldfinger once and liked it, but in a different system (so it's hard to anticipate how it might sound in my system).

thanks.

of course, I have the Ortofon MC Anna right here mounted on the Telos Sapphire. yesterday Jazdoc came over and he assisted (I mostly watched ;)) in getting a more exact set-up done (I then had 5-6 hours on the GFS). we raised the VTF from 2.76 grams to 2.87 grams as well as a bit better geometry from my 'cowboy set-up' from the previous night.

we did a few back and forth's with the Anna. as clearly the GFS is improving I have no conclusions yet but it seems to go beyond the Anna so far......and I love the Anna. there is another degree of clarity and total authority and dynamic punch and focus with the GFS as well as a greater soundstage without any 'balloon' affect. but to be fair to the Anna I will need to do a dedicated back and forth down the road.

the Anna has the advantage of the better tonearm; the Telos Sapphire is a level beyond my stock Telos and the Sapphire has the better phono cable. my dart pre has 2 separate identical phono stages. the one for the Anna (.14mv) is set at 69 db of gain, the one for the GFS (.6mv) is set at 57db of gain.

cannot say about the ZYX Universe Premium, A95 or XV-1t.

I will point out that the Goldfinger, is a different cartridge from the Goldfinger v2, which is also different from the Goldfinger Statement (GFS). just trying to avoid adding to any confusion.

Last edited:

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010
Now I switch between them every 3 or 4 months. Thought about a second arm but haven't felt the need to move on it.

To me, Goldfinger has more detail, more dynamic, better bass. Coralstone is sweeter, smoother, better midrange. Better in this case being my opinion and what appeals to me. I'm not an absolute sound kind of guy. Different presentation but I like them both equally.

the Coralstone was likely the other leading choice as I was thinking of adding a cartridge these past weeks. and your contrast between the two would be my general expectation.

thanks Frank.

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA

Thanks Frank. Those are interesting descriptions, and very similar to the way I think about my two main cartridges, the MSL Signature Gold, and the AirTight Supreme, with two slight differences. The MSL seems also more extended in both highs and lows, and now that my rebuilt sample has 45 hours on it, I'm noticing a new quality which I'm just starting to grasp: Musical Energy. The MSL captures this quality of life, realism and energy from recordings that I have heard in close proximity to certain live instruments, particularly the cello and the piano. I'm thinking of starting a new thread on the topic.

If I owned your two cartridges, I think I would prefer the Coralstone listening to chamber scale strings and vocals, while I might prefer the Goldfinger on orchestral, jazz and more up beat music. I find myself switching cartridges perhaps once or twice a year. Two arms would be great, but as you know, the SME can not accommodate that.

Frank750

VIP/Donor
Jul 8, 2011
I happen to have the Coralstone on the arm presently but all the Goldfinger talk has me wanting to make the switch. It has been at least a few months. Only thing is I have the Coralstone dialed in as well as I've ever heard it and I hesitate to screw with it right now. I guess it's not the worst problem to have.

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010
I happen to have the Coralstone on the arm presently but all the Goldfinger talk has me wanting to make the switch. It has been at least a few months. Only thing is I have the Coralstone dialed in as well as I've ever heard it and I hesitate to screw with it right now. I guess it's not the worst problem to have.

that is the dictionary definition of you 'need' another tone arm.;)

gian60

Apr 17, 2016
My friend has the Goldfinger and the Goldfinger statement.
The Statement is better in every parameter.
Today in one exibition in Milan i listen the new My Sonic Lab Signature Platinum,new cartridge like Air tight made the Opus,The company who made is the same.
I cannot give one judgment because was in system and room i dont know,but distibutors told has more details and dynamic than Signature Gold

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
Today in one exibition in Milan i listen the new My Sonic Lab Signature Platinum,new cartridge like Air tight made the Opus,The company who made is the same.
I cannot give one judgment because was in system and room i dont know,but distibutors told has more details and dynamic than Signature Gold

Gian60, could you expand a little more on your thoughts on the new MSL Platinum. I have heard that this cartridge is on another plain entirely! Supposedly a big step up in SQ over the likes of the Lyra Atlas, the Clearaudio Goldfinger Statement etc.,!!
I have not heard it and it seems very few others have either. The press certainly seems to be sterling; but I have to wonder??

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA

This is the rarefied world of $15K cartridges. My Signature Gold has more details (resolution) and dynamics than my AirTight Supreme, so if the Sig. Platinum has even more, that would really be something. There seems to be some experience with the AirTight Opus, but I have not read anything about the MSL Platinum, except for these brief comments from gian60. AJ Conti was the importer/distributor for MSL in the US, but the brand was not heavily marketed and there were few if any reviews of their top models.

If I were in this market, I would try my best to hear at least two of them before buying, but, as we know, that is not always easy. Albert Porter has the AT Opus. It is very hard to find anyone who has done direct comparisons between these in the same system.

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
the Coralstone was likely the other leading choice as I was thinking of adding a cartridge these past weeks. and your contrast between the two would be my general expectation.

thanks Frank.

Congrats Mike!

I had the GFS before I got the Coralstone. Just wasn't my cup of tea.

gian60

Apr 17, 2016
I listen the MSL signature Platinum in milan exibition
The system was
Vertere with MSL signature Platinum
Amp FM entry level
speaker Ubiq.
The MSL sounded very natural,open,fast and dynamic,but until you dont try at home or in a system of some friends you cannot understand well.
The distributor my friend,told me that,ha has also Atlas and Gold Signature,the Platinum is more natural than others,with a lot of details but sweet,and he told is the best cartridge he listen in his life.He know very well the Koetsu,but he doesnt like and he never listen the Goldfinger statement.

Other my friend is italian distributors of Air tight and Koetsu,but he didnt listen until now the Opus

chelseadave

Nov 25, 2014
London UK
I was thinking of replacing my MSL Signature Gold with the Platinum but I have not seen any reviews yet, is there one? Also I have a Rogers PA-1A Phono Stage and would like to know what is the very best loading (resistive and capacitive) for the Gold. Cheers.

gian60

Apr 17, 2016
You can send mail to my friend italian distributors of MSL
Federico Licciardello
You can see website audioreference,it
You can tell i, my name is Baldi Gianluigi gave address to you.

Regards

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
I was thinking of replacing my MSL Signature Gold with the Platinum but I have not seen any reviews yet, is there one? Also I have a Rogers PA-1A Phono Stage and would like to know what is the very best loading (resistive and capacitive) for the Gold. Cheers.

I have a MSL Sig Gold and here are my settings: resistive - 1K ohms, capacitive - 100. That is with my Pass Labs XP25 phono stage. I think it depends heavily on the tonearm wire, the phono cable and the particular phono stage, so these values may not work best for you or for your taste. My phono is easily adjustable, I just played around until I found my favorite settings while listening to a variety of music.

Sorry to be off topic regarding the Goldfinger Statement.

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin
Hi Mike,

Been about a week now...how many hours do you estimate? Curious if any thoughts at this point...

PS love the pic of your barn !!

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing