Health | Hearing Loss May Double in United States by 2060 | Imparing Audio/Music Listening Sessions

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada

16hz lover

Aug 2, 2013
http://www.msn.com/en-us/health/med...d-states-by-2060/ar-AAnJ2Vy?OCID=ansmsnnews11

Oh, that's no good for American audiophiles, what sez you? Here in Canada we take all who are affected with embrace and wide open arms.

25 years of being an industrial mechanic had its effect on me. Then my CIDP disease took another 20-30% of my hearing in my left ear due to nerve damage. I lost over 90% of the nerves in my arms and legs, but the LH side ended up considerably weaker.
It's going to take a 150k dollar system now to sound as good as my EPI 100 speakers did back in '76:p

Thanks for posting this for us. You usually come up with something interesting every month for us Bob.

I just hope their cure for hearing loss doesn't end up making our stereos all sound like Bose 321 systems

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
I am very sorry to read about your 'mechanical' and nerve issues 16hz; I wish I can hear you louder, but my hearing is not what it used to be back in '76.

You're welcome to apply for a Canadian citizenship; we have some decent health care rehabilitation, paid by the people, us, for the people, us. ...Carbon tax.

Fiddle Faddle

Aug 7, 2015
Australia
My 78 year old mother frequently complains that I speak too loudly to her. The problem, however, is neither with her (well, not completely) or with me. The problem is that I have had to learn to raise the level of my voice out of habit. If I do not raise my voice, then young people cannot hear me and ask me to repeat myself. I used to talk at a "normal" level, but I got so darned sick and tired of (mostly) young people not hearing what I said and asking me to repeat myself, I am now in the habit of talking at a level that is apparently too loud for a 78 year old. That said, I know Mum has very bad hearing degradation above 4 Khz, so she is probably suffering from some recruitment which will make people sound louder to her.

Even so, it is a very noisy world out there. I am convinced modern people are way overdosing on sound even if they do not listen to music.

If only we were all like birds (hearing cells regenerate just like skin repairs itself in humans). I mean, honestly, our human hearing is really badly designed (along with a few other things...). Totally incapable of self-repair.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
We can build great skyscrapers, bridges, highway systems, amplifiers, etc., we can even build robots to build cars.
The one thing where we are the most vulnerable is our health. The older we get the more damaged we get.
Tissue regeneration is a great thing, naturally executed. Immortality is the ultimate dream.

Along with our hearing impairing is our vision, taste, smell and all the rest. Our main weakness is our race...human.
We need to implant ourselves inside robots...our brain.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
The older we get the less tears we produce. ;-)

It's like our emotions are less effected because we see less we hear less we taste less we touch less; we become less prone to emotional turbulences and more sensitive physically. ...Like autumn leaves.

On the other hand we are more attuned with our environment, the nature, the space, the people and time. We gain wisdom from living experience, even when falling to pieces.

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
By all means have your hearing tested At least you will have a baseline.

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
By all means have your hearing tested. At least you will have a baseline.

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
My 78 year old mother frequently complains that I speak too loudly to her. The problem, however, is neither with her (well, not completely) or with me. The problem is that I have had to learn to raise the level of my voice out of habit. If I do not raise my voice, then young people cannot hear me and ask me to repeat myself. I used to talk at a "normal" level, but I got so darned sick and tired of (mostly) young people not hearing what I said and asking me to repeat myself, I am now in the habit of talking at a level that is apparently too loud for a 78 year old. That said, I know Mum has very bad hearing degradation above 4 Khz, so she is probably suffering from some recruitment which will make people sound louder to her.

Even so, it is a very noisy world out there. I am convinced modern people are way overdosing on sound even if they do not listen to music.

If only we were all like birds (hearing cells regenerate just like skin repairs itself in humans). I mean, honestly, our human hearing is really badly designed (along with a few other things...). Totally incapable of self-repair.

IME the young people not hearing are almost always selective hearing in nature ;)

BlueFox

Member Sponsor
Nov 8, 2013
I have been wearing sound attenuation ears for decades. Started when I worked around aircraft, and now includes cutting the grass, and running the vacuum or carpet cleaner. I am 70, and still really enjoy my stereo.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing