Reasonably priced dual-master clock (10Mhz) Rb and OCXO....

SCAudiophile

Sep 11, 2010
Greer South Carolina (USA)
Listened last night after 10 days break - in and it was significantly better than after the initial 3 days. What's interesting to me is the improvements were not in all areas I stated above. Some continued improvements (as above) in bass definition and further clarity of instruments in complex passages. However the biggest increase was in overall dimension of instruments/"musical realism". It had me pulling out CDs and SACDs to 2x verify what I heard and I was pretty transfixed. And oh, no mid thinness, not sure if it went away with break-in or I was imagining it earlier.

FYR, below is Kenji's performance over time estimates. In my opinion performance gains are more linear at least from what I can tell from my ~10 day assessment. Curious to hear it after a month when I assume it will have leveled out if not sooner.

The performance becomes maximum in approximately 20-30 days.
If I express ability with a value vs days
1day:75% 3days:85% 7days:95% 20-30days:100%

I would side with that as well,....first 300-350 'breaks the ice' and lets you hear what the unit really can do and your system along with it, the next 300+ hours really opens it up completely (and the overall system along with it). I'm sure a piece of this is breaking in the clock-input circuit on the gear the clock is connected to but frankly to me, it's all about the clock and allowing it to open up and hit it's stride so to speak!

SCAudiophile

Sep 11, 2010
My friend just bought the $1000 CyberShaft Premium OCXO:

CyberShaft OCXO Premium

It already has much lower jitter than the $23.000 Esoteric G-01 Rubidium Clock, not to mention the $6000 Antelope crap:

He will test it with his dCS Vivaldi stack (directly connected to the 10M clock input on the Vivaldi clock).

If it performs as expected, we will try the $2800 Cybershaft OCXO Limited IP17 clock:

Good Day,...the OCXO in my existing Ultra Precision Dual Clock (Rb side and Ultra Precision OCXO side) measures as follows;

RBOCXO-01-clock-OCXO-side-calibration.jpg

I have an Ultra Premium standalone unit with improved power supply (SSI from the Limited model) with OP14 level OCXO to test;

OCXO-OP14-Calibration-Results.jpg

Should be interesting to compare!

SCAudiophile

Sep 11, 2010
I had not heard of it before you posted this so 'thank you'! That audio show in Portugal also featured in one of V-Acoustics; write-up must have been one hell of a great event!

This appears on the outside from the casework, etc...to be a professional endeavor and a nice-looking product. The language is a bit flowery and audiophile-ish in their
promo text. It would be good to know the following;

- is it OCXO or Rubidium oscillator based?
- is it oven-stabilized?
- in addition to the PPM / PPB specs quoted, what does the Allen Variance/Allen Deviation test results and look like?
- what are the phase noise test results (dBc/Hz) a 1Hz, 10Hz and 100Hz?

One reference to price also say it is expected to be about EUR 5,500 so I guess we need to wait and see..

Interesting looking clock and not a bad price; I'll let you all know if they respond to the web inquiry I just submitted.

Stereophonic

Jun 9, 2013
Spain
Jajajaja.
I have sent a request information too!!!
Will compare the answers!!!
They did the demo with an Esoteric K01X.
It seems an OCXO one viewing the interior.
IMG_8484.JPG
:)

SCAudiophile

Sep 11, 2010
Jajajaja.
I have sent a request information too!!!
Will compare the answers!!!
They did the demo with an Esoteric K01X.
It seems an OCXO one viewing the interior.
:)

"Jajajaja. ".......Donde Estas en Argentina Mi Amigo????

Stereophonic,

Yes it does; I missed that inset photo of the clock's internals. It will interesting to see how V-Acoustics responds. The casework is very nice-looking, etc...my only reservation is giving the sparce nature of the internals,
how the EUR 5,500+ price can be justified. Power supply seems to be minimal, etc... My experience with Cybershaft has taught me that it is not necessary to spend USD $7,000-$10,000 or more on a single-output
high precision/low phase-noise master clock so I have become wary of higher-priced units. On the other hand, this could very well be a superior-engineering product when it comes down to it for which I will alway
give respect and would probably take a demo at the very least to try. For me for clocking, I now almost fully ignore the PPM/PPB numbers as they are marketing hype and focus solely on the performance results
of Allen Variance and Phase Noise at 1, 10 and 100 Hz measurement points...

SCAudiophile

Sep 11, 2010
In a separate piece of news, I'm expecting a new 10 MHz 50-ohm output clock prototype to test that will be WELL above OP14 level in mid-late April; this could potentially be well beyond OP17 and possibly OP20 level. I will report back improvements if any and listening results (of my system) with this even lower phase-noise implementation as soon as I break it in.....

Elberoth

Member Sponsor
Dec 15, 2012
Poland
"Jajajaja. ".......Donde Estas en Argentina Mi Amigo????

Stereophonic,

Yes it does; I missed that inset photo of the clock's internals. It will interesting to see how V-Acoustics responds. The casework is very nice-looking, etc...my only reservation is giving the sparce nature of the internals,
how the EUR 5,500+ price can be justified. Power supply seems to be minimal, etc... My experience with Cybershaft has taught me that it is not necessary to spend USD $7,000-$10,000 or more on a single-output
high precision/low phase-noise master clock so I have become wary of higher-priced units. On the other hand, this could very well be a superior-engineering product when it comes down to it for which I will alway
give respect and would probably take a demo at the very least to try. For me for clocking, I now almost fully ignore the PPM/PPB numbers as they are marketing hype and focus solely on the performance results
of Allen Variance and Phase Noise at 1, 10 and 100 Hz measurement points...

+1

A great post, I fully agree with.

Stereophonic

Jun 9, 2013
Spain
The master clock's world is new to me.
Yes, the v-acoustics clock seems empty but i don't have pictures of other brands and i think the case seems well built to be EMI isolated.
I've found that one of the DCS Puccini U-Clock.
IMG_8495.JPG
Even poorer inside !!!!
Respect to Cybershaft, that new model can be very interesting too. SCaudiophile, do you have more information about it?

Elberoth

Member Sponsor
Dec 15, 2012
Poland
What makes you think it is better than the dCS one ? Is that 'cos it has a bigger PCB and more capacitiors ?

The performance will depend on the quality of XO used (unknown at this time) and circuit design (another unknown).

Stereophonic

Jun 9, 2013
Spain
Hi Elberoth.
I've put that picture from my clock world ignorance for the reason you mention.
I don't know which are the really important specs on a master clock far away of fancy image or ppm better number race.
I'm here to learn from people like you to choose the best clock option to my Esoteric D02X.
I don't think v-acoustics is better than DCS because i don't have the theoretical fundament to do that affirmation.
I know that you have experience on Aurender W20 too (i'm considering to purchase it), so it's very interesting to me knowing your opinion vs Lampi SuperKomputer.
Regards.

Elberoth

Member Sponsor
Dec 15, 2012
Poland
Hi Elberoth.
I've put that picture from my clock world ignorance for the reason you mention.
I don't know which are the really important specs on a master clock far away of fancy image or ppm better number race.
I'm here to learn from people like you to choose the best clock option to my Esoteric D02X.
I don't think v-acoustics is better than DCS because i don't have the theoretical fundament to do that affirmation.
I know that you have experience on Aurender W20 too (i'm considering to purchase it), so it's very interesting to me knowing your opinion vs Lampi SuperKomputer.
Regards.

Well my server is a hotrodded version of superkomputer - with battery PSU for the SSD, full ATX linear PSU, UpTone Audio supercapacitor LPS-1 PSU for the USB card, Jcat Femto USB card etc. So it is not stock version, which is not as advanced.

I have tried my server vs the Aurender W20 and they went more or less head to head. Which means, that if you have the means and do not need any of the upsampling options, Aurender is still the way to go - nicer looking, just one box.

Stereophonic

Jun 9, 2013
Spain
Thank's very much !!!

I have the upsampling option on my D02X. I'm thinking about what difference could be between W20 vs SGM2015.

Going back to the original thread, what would be the best option to clock the D02X/W20?

1- Master clock->D02X 10 Mhz input->D02X clock output->W20 clock input.

2- Master Clock with two outputs:
-> one output to W20 clock input
-> one output to D02X 10Mhz input

Last edited:

Elberoth

Member Sponsor
Dec 15, 2012
Poland
You don't need the clock connection when using USB. Clock inputs are only useful when using AES/SPDIF Aurender outputs - they have been designed with dCS stack in mind.

SCAudiophile

Sep 11, 2010
The master clock's world is new to me.
Yes, the v-acoustics clock seems empty but i don't have pictures of other brands and i think the case seems well built to be EMI isolated.
I've found that one of the DCS Puccini U-Clock.
View attachment 31945
Even poorer inside !!!!
Respect to Cybershaft, that new model can be very interesting too. SCaudiophile, do you have more information about it?

No information in my hands or available for public circulation yet. As soon as Cybershaft makes it public, I will mention and replicate important points here.

SCAudiophile

Sep 11, 2010
You don't need the clock connection when using USB. Clock inputs are only useful when using AES/SPDIF Aurender outputs - they have been designed with dCS stack in mind.

Wouldn't there still be benefit in using a clock into the W20 for the accuracy of it internal operations?

Stereophonic

Jun 9, 2013
Spain
As the Esoteric D02X has dual AES too, i'll connect it this way.

Last edited:

pam1975

Apr 14, 2017
Hi gents, how does one connect the clock to a Mutec3+ USB? I am out the AES of the Mutec and in AES of Yggdrasil...
Sorry for the newbie question.

Also, thanks for having me here :)

Elberoth

Member Sponsor
Dec 15, 2012
Poland

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing