Aries Cerat, Lampizator, Audio Research, Analysis Omega, Rockports

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Correct, that's my case.
I must say after the last upgrade I love my B7 even more, the new PCM is outsanding, for me it's now equal to DSD engine.
Last but not least the new unpowered Salamandra usb cable is a game changer.

The one shootout I would have loved to do was with my previous Big 7. It was lovingly hand built by Lukasz.

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
We moved volumes. With the 242 we brought down volume by 8 steps (13 to 5). And we moved up and down with both dacs. The SQ benefits with 242 were no question. Even at the side. With the the Rockport, in one case we found that volume at 4 and 5 had huge differences, so we could not adjust exactly, as the Aries preamp jumps up by 2db from 4 to 5.

Isn't there some doubt though about these tubes with non-classical music?

flyer

VIP/Donor
Dec 16, 2012
Belgium
We moved volumes. With the 242 we brought down volume by 8 steps (13 to 5). And we moved up and down with both dacs. The SQ benefits with 242 were no question. Even at the side.

Well Ked, I know that you are extremely fond of the 242, and so you should but I can speak for myself, as I was sitting 95% of the time on the side.

Once the bias of the Kassandra was set properly for the panels, I asked literally 'where is the difference now?'. And that is before I knew I was allowed to crank the bias even further up to be still within the limits set forward by the manufacturer, possibly turning the tables.

It is one of the good things of the Kassandra that you can play and tune with the bias to get the sound you like personally and in line with the system. On Wednesday this proved to be a weak point as, like mentioned before, I am not (yet) very proficient in doing so. :rolleyes:

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
We moved volumes. With the 242 we brought down volume by 8 steps (13 to 5). And we moved up and down with both dacs. The SQ benefits with 242 were no question. Even at the side. With the the Rockport, in one case we found that volume at 4 and 5 had huge differences, so we could not adjust exactly, as the Aries preamp jumps up by 2db from 4 to 5.
Ok, volume level was uncontrolled. Just for the clarification of everyone here.

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
Well Ked, I know that you are extremely fond of the 242, and so you should but I can speak for myself, as I was sitting 95% of the time on the side.

Once the bias of the Kassandra was set properly for the panels, I asked literally 'where is the difference now?'. And that is before I knew I was allowed to crank the bias even further up to be still within the limits set forward by the manufacturer, possibly turning the tables.

It is one of the good things of the Kassandra that you can play and tune with the bias to get the sound you like personally and in line with the system. On Wednesday this proved to be a weak point as, like mentioned before, I am not (yet) very proficient in doing so. :rolleyes:

Just FYI, changing the bias does not increase or decrease the gain. It will affect tone and dynamics though.

flyer

VIP/Donor
Dec 16, 2012
Belgium
Just FYI, changing the bias does not increase or decrease the gain. It will affect tone and dynamics though.

The eternal balance between resolution and density...

Reason why I wrote earlier that the tonal accuracy and density and soundstage are as important as dynamics as focussing on the latter is one-sided!

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London

Reason why I wrote earlier that the tonal accuracy and density and soundstage are as important as dynamics as focussing on the latter is one-sided!

I am not disagreeing at all. The tone (w.r.t the 45s) improved and bettered them

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland

Fully agree that tone is just as important if not more so. Finding gear that does both right is no mean feat!

wisnon

Dec 12, 2011

Chris loves em. Just confirmed to me in a text.

Actually, Bonzo used to love the metal base 101d before as best on classical and now he says the 242 takes it up 2 to 3 notches and add heft as well. On the other hand, the dynamics of this tube is compelling on every genre.

Last edited:

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London

And this is based on what? You added the first doubt

Last edited:

Believe High Fidelity

[Industry Expert]
Nov 19, 2015
Hutto TX
ibelieveinhifi.com
Ked! Glad you had the chance to finally make the trip to see Flyer. Those 242's are very nice :)

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal

Was there any kind of measurement of the signal amplitudes when you swapped tubes and equipment?

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal

I now see a great problem in the tube swapping listening sessions - if you do not control levels you will be mainly listening to the effect of changing loudness.
My systems are calibrated and in my listening I have found that sometimes a 1-2 dB difference is more than enough to reverse findings.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
I now see a great problem in the tube swapping listening sessions - if you do not control levels you will be mainly listening to the effect of changing loudness.
My systems are calibrated and in my listening I have found that sometimes a 1-2 dB difference is more than enough to reverse findings.

Micro, we did not keep a constant volume . We changed volumes while playing too. I know people like to audition both at a X db, I never do that. I already mentioned the example where with the 45s there was a difference at 4 or 5 of the volume control (which was a difference of 2db). All we can do is give our impressions, you are welcome to read and suggestion is obviously you try both, not buy one. As for the 242 vs the 45s, these experiences have been carried out in other systems as well. Nothing here is new.

wisnon

Dec 12, 2011

Not really...Lampi people are pretty adept at evaluating tube characteristics whether output or recti.
Many prefer the PX4 to the PX25, desite the latter having much higher gain...others the opposite.

Gain play for most is irrelevant as people assess at their comfort zone dB level and over looong periods of time.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
(...) Gain play for most is irrelevant as people assess at their comfort zone dB level and over looong periods of time.

Exactly. But IMHO in short sessions, unless you control gain you will always set levels to favor your preferred. YMMV on this subject!

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Exactly. But IMHO in short sessions, unless you control gain you will always set levels to favor your preferred. YMMV on this subject!

Well, I disagree with your caveat, but I can't show you what I mean unless we listen together.

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland

This was the root for my question. When I review gear I set the level to within 1db with pink noise and calibrated microphone into my Behringer DEQ 24/96. Otherwise you will subconsciously stack things in favor of the one that you want to sound better. This means making it a few db too high in level as a simple case. Since Michel let Ked control the testing it is not too surprising the outcome and the findings are suspect.

Now, I don't know which DAC is better, having not heard the Kassandra... and I still don't have a good idea because of the way the demo was conducted.

853guy

Aug 14, 2013
This was the root for my question. When I review gear I set the level to within 1db with pink noise and calibrated microphone into my Behringer DEQ 24/96. Otherwise you will subconsciously stack things in favor of the one that you want to sound better. This means making it a few db too high in level as a simple case. Since Michel let Ked control the testing it is not too surprising the outcome and the findings are suspect.

Now, I don't know which DAC is better, having not heard the Kassandra... and I still don't have a good idea because of the way the demo was conducted.

Hi morricab,

I'm not sure that's a fair comment. I don't believe Bonzo nor Flyer's intention was to conduct a formal review. They simply got together to compare and contrast - perhaps it's best to think of it as an informal collection of impressions. At least, that's the way I read it.

Best,

853guy

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing