The "Show Music" Thread

garylkoh

WBF Technical Expert (Speakers & Audio Equipment)
Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
www.genesisloudspeakers.com
With the Rocky Mountain Audio Fest coming up, I thought that it would be nice to discuss what we would like to hear at a show besides the usual audiophile cr*p that seems prevalent.

I'm looking for suggestions...... and hoping that it can be a better show for all. When you make a suggestion, please suggest also a track (CD or LP) and why you think that it should be played at a show.

Thanks!

jazdoc

Member Sponsor
Aug 7, 2010
Bellevue
Gary,

Why not put a Diana Krall disc on continous play like half the exhibitors;)

Here are a few suggestions:

'Bluesville' by Count Basie
From 88 Basie Street, Pablo 2310-091, 1984 (or the Analogue Productions 45 rpm reissue).
Very challenging muted trumpet. Will tell you whether the system can 'swing'

'Windowpane' by Opeth
From "Damnation", Koch Records, 2003
Can the system resolve the cymbals?

"Don't Mean A Thing (If It Ain't Got That Swing)" by Duke Ellington and Ella Fitzgerald
From "Ella & Duke At Cote d'Azur", Mosaic Records, 2010
Great test for female vocals...Ella is in fine voice and relaxed. Great test for soundstaging ability. Do Sam Woodyard's drums sound natural?

"My Favorite Things" by Sarah Vaughan
From 'After Hours' Roulette, R52070, 1955 (mono)
You'll know if the mid range is on. Great supporting bass work from Ray Brown.

"Chelsea Bridge" & "The Cat Walk" by Gerry Mulligan and Ben Webster
From "Mulligan Meets Webster", side 1, ORG reissue, 2009
Does the system convey the unique tone and technique of both sax players. Does Leroy Vinnegar's bass walk? Is the piano on the right lateral to the speaker?

"Jeopardy" by Greg Kihn
From "Kihnspiracy", Beserkley, 1983
Can you hear the bass playing triplets? Great for cymbals.

"Direct From LA" by The Great Jazz Trio
EastWind 1977
Entire LP is a sonic tour de force. Tony Williams must have slipped the engineer an extra $20 because this is a spectacular drum recording. Does the system move enough air to make the kick drum realistic? Ron Carter's bass is also extremely well recorded.

Got more if you want 'em....

Last edited:

fas42

Addicted To Best
Jan 8, 2011
NSW Australia
Gary, the London Cast Recording of The Phantom of the Opera, with Crawford and Brightman, 831 273-2, is a real show off piece. It sounds very impressive even when a system is not totally on song: lots of light and shade, very well recorded with many quite intense effects. If you can turn up the volume on this without problems you'll have people running towards you from all directions ...

There are no individual tracks, just disk 1 and 2

BTW, the brain DID slip a gear when I read the name of the thread: thought "Broadway" show, but my recommendation still stands ...

Frank

Last edited:

fas42

Addicted To Best
Jan 8, 2011
NSW Australia
On a jazz note, a CD with very clean audiophile sound, "the Trio" from '94, Chiaroscuro CR(D) 332: piano, bass, drums, lots of standards played with real class. Recorded and mastered, I've just discovered, by Rudy Van Gelder: that should push some people's buttons ...

Frank

garylkoh

Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
Thanks, Frank. I've got that - and yes, the London Cast recording is the best. I also like the London Cast recording of Cats. But IMHO both are too long to play. I also like the FIM recording of the Highlights of Jekyll and Hyde.

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC

garylkoh

Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
Thanks, Greg. More CD's to buy...... unless you are suggesting that I get the Tuck & Patti mp3's. I've found that when the CD isn't very well mastered or recorded, the mp3 can sound more pleasant than the CD. But I guess saying that is heresy for an audiophile.

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
Thanks, Greg. More CD's to buy...... unless you are suggesting that I get the Tuck & Patti mp3's. I've found that when the CD isn't very well mastered or recorded, the mp3 can sound more pleasant than the CD. But I guess saying that is heresy for an audiophile.

Gary Pardon me if I demure on the mp3 v CD debate. I have only heard mp3 across my computer. Those recordings I have heard through some of the best stereos. I think they can be had for less than 40 dollars. You will enjoy the entire CD I hope. The soundtrack is surprisingly well recorded. Tuck and Patti had a contract with Windham Hill records. Both are well recorded.
If I make it there I'll stop by. It's not looking good so far.

garylkoh

Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
Hi Greg, I agree with you - it's a very few samples when I've had a good mp3 sound better than a bad CD. I thought by your linking to the Amazon mp3 page, you were suggesting to buy the mp3. I'll get the CDs.

I have a number of soundtracks that were surprisingly well recorded - Twilight being one of them. I'll be getting all your suggestions. You haven't steered me wrong so far. Thank you!!

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
I have some favorites that have made my firends cover there ears ,cringe in disbleif and even run screaming form the room. The trick is to play those records when you are in the car or home alone.

jazdoc

Member Sponsor
Aug 7, 2010
Bellevue
Just to prove that I really own a CD player, here are a few little shiny 'show' discs:

"La Linea del Sur" by Renaud Garcia-Fons
From 'La Linea del Sur'. Enja 2009
Terrific double bass recording. Can the system handle the dynamic range?

"If It Be Your Will" by Antony
From 'I'm Your Man OST'. Verve 2005
Highlight of the live tribute to Leonard Cohen at Sydney Opera House. Antony has a very unique voice and it completely transforms this classic Cohen composition.

"Junior" by Russ Reinberg
From 'Blue Scarlett' Jazzed Media 2006
Very well recorded quartet. Excellent test of soundstaging with guitar, drums, clarinet and bass each in well defined space.

"Vieques" by Arturo O'Farrill
From 'Live in Brooklyn' Zoho Music, 2005.
Recorded live in a small club and system should convey the unique sense of space. It sounds like analog. Dafnis Prieto is sensational on drums.*

"Samba Meu" & "Pra Declarar Minha Saudade" by Maria Rita
From 'Samba Meu' Warner Music Latina 2007
Elis Regina's daughter singing samba. She channels Astrud on "Pra Celarar" but the opening to the CD with just a guitar and Maria is wonderful. Very well recorded. Lots of dynamic range and texture.

"Carnavalia" by Tribalistas
From 'Tribalistas' Phonomotor 2002
A Marisa Monte led project. Track features guitar in each channel, interesting vocal effects by Carlinhos Brown and is a real test of a system's ability to handle bursts of LF energy. A desert island disc.

"Gin and Money" by Marcy Playground
From 'Leaving Wonderland In A Fit of Rage' Woz Records 2009
A decently recording rock CD in 2009? Yup. Great tunes with a 'live' feel.

And finally....

"Devils Playground" by The Dead Kenny G's
From 'Operation Long Leash Royal Potato Family 2011
-----or------
"Resentment Incubator" by Garage A Trois
From 'Always Be Happy but Stay Evil' Royal Potato Family 2011
It's Skerik and Mike Dillon. Actually, they are not sonic gems but they are maniacs but it's fun music and you should listen. Did I mention it's fun?

*Dafis Prieto was just awarded a $500,000 MacArthur Foundation grant!

Last edited:

garylkoh

Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
Thanks, Jazzdoc. I already have some of these following your suggestions in other threads. The Renaud Garcia-Fons is fantastic to show off dynamic range in the bass. I don't have a good jazz clarinet, so I'll be getting the Russ Reinberg. Looking forward to them.

Gotta sell more speakers to afford all this music!! May be I need to raise my margins. :)

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines

Heresy or not, in te case of all my late eighties, very early nineties new wave CDs, it's the truth!

Wanna send some black cdr's with your demo music my way Gary? :)

Phelonious Ponk

Jun 30, 2010
Gary this is certainly not an "audiophile" recording, and a bit bass light at that, but a very clear, present live recording that is great fun to listen to: Van Morrison: It's Too Late To Stop Now. I particularly like this recording of Listen to the Lion.

Tim

garylkoh

Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
Heresy or not, in te case of all my late eighties, very early nineties new wave CDs, it's the truth!

Wanna send some black cdr's with your demo music my way Gary? :)

Thanks, Jack. I'm glad that I'm not the only one here who thinks that some mp3's can sound better than CDs.

In previous years, I make a black CD with excerpts of my demo music for my dealers, and publish the playlist in my newsletter. However, since I've been demo-ing with a music server, I've been quite remiss in doing this. May be this year it will be the WBF Show Music Black CD :)

See here for some of the old ones:
http://www.genesisloudspeakers.com/support_choicecuts.html

Last edited:

garylkoh

Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
Gary this is certainly not an "audiophile" recording, and a bit bass light at that, but a very clear, present live recording that is great fun to listen to: Van Morrison: It's Too Late To Stop Now. I particularly like this recording of Listen to the Lion.

Tim

Thanks, Tim. I don't just demo with audiophile recordings - if the music's great, I'll play it. I agree that his live album is his best work.

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
I have some favorites that have made my firends cover there ears ,cringe in disbleif and even run screaming form the room. The trick is to play those records when you are in the car or home alone.

I thought I was reading a post from Frank until I read the second sentence.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing