Allnic L4000 and H3000

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
This is about $20k set. We know a couple of members have them.

What caught your attention?

How do they sound?
Why did you pass on all the North American made preamps?

Are you using either Allnic phono cartridge?

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
Some good pictures.

Attachments

• 1..jpg
    1..jpg
    88.8 KB · Views: 1,367
  • 1_phono..jpg
    1_phono..jpg
    107 KB · Views: 1,318
  • 1_phono2..jpg
    1_phono2..jpg
    84.9 KB · Views: 1,291
  • 2_cart1..jpg
    2_cart1..jpg
    42.1 KB · Views: 1,187
  • 2_preamp1..jpg
    2_preamp1..jpg
    76.8 KB · Views: 1,130

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
One more.

Attachments

• 2_preamp2..jpg
    2_preamp2..jpg
    106.4 KB · Views: 1,187

cjfrbw

Apr 20, 2010
Pleasanton, CA
I had been monitoring the designs of phono preamps for years. It caught my attention that some of the most expensive and exotic specialty phono preamps of the "gurus", borrowed from the relentless DIY world, used lots of transformer coupling. I already had some Wavac amps that I really liked, based on the Shishido circuits.

I trolled for transformer coupled phonos, came across Allnic 1500 in an ebay auction. I did not bid on the auction, but looked up what I could find about the Allnic products, which at that time were not being offered in North America.

At that time, the Allnics were all 220v for Europe.

I paid attention to what little information there was about Allnic and saw the kinds of designs that I was looking for generally.

Finally bought a demo Allnic H 1500 from a local guy who got it from Highwater sound with US voltages.

I loved it, liked it much better than my Manley Steelhead. I determined to get the H 3000 when I could.

I wrote a review of the H 3000 on Audiogon a few years ago, and then became a kind of "subscriber" to the various product offerings, which were now being offered in 120V configurations through David Beetles and Hammertone Audio in Canada.

Now: Allnic Verito, H 3000 phono, L 5000 Directly Heated triode preamp, and finally the HA 2500 phono head amp.

I have the best sound ever in my system, exceeding my expectations and much exceeding what I considered the "limitations" of my system i.e. room, amps, speakers etc., all because the source was vastly improved through the Allnic chain.

Last edited:

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
I have the best sound ever in my system, exceeding my expectations and much exceeding what I considered the "limitations" of my system i.e. room, amps, speakers etc., all because the source was vastly improved through the Allnic chain.

This could almost be the topic of a new thread.

Does one achieve better sound by using components from the same manufacturer through the listening chain?

vinylphilemag

WBF Founding Member
Apr 30, 2010
Kelowna, BC
www.vinylphilemag.com
This could almost be the topic of a new thread.

Does one achieve better sound by using components from the same manufacturer through the listening chain?

I wouldn't necessarily go as far to say that it's a rule, but it does make a lot of sense. There are bound to be synergies when using several components from one manufacturer. Although, just to play devil's advocate, one might also argue that if a manufacturer has a "house sound", then using multiple components from that manufacturer could actually make matters worse as weach compnent adds its own colourations.

vinylphilemag

WBF Founding Member
Apr 30, 2010
Kelowna, BC
www.vinylphilemag.com
I wrote a review of the H 3000 on Audiogon a few years ago, and then became a kind of "subscriber" to the various product offerings, which were now being offered in 120V configurations through David Beetles and Hammertone Audio in Canada.

Dave is a great guy and, much to my surprise, lives literally 5 minutes from my house!

cjfrbw

Apr 20, 2010
Pleasanton, CA
Anybody who has seen my system knows that it is eclectic to the extreme, with mostly out of productions components, everything from DHT triodes to transistors (Accuphase analog crossover) and DSP (surround and bass equalization).

I can't estimate whether "brand purity" leads to a significant improvement or not overall, I have willy nilly spliced in whatever I thought would produce a particular type of result.

I think that I go back and forth between being "source" oriented and "output" oriented i.e. speakers, amps etc. like a lot of audiophiles. However, I have new respect for the power of sources and preamps with the Allnic gear, much of which has been birthed from the arcane alchemy of the DIY and audiophile societies.

cjfrbw

Apr 20, 2010
Pleasanton, CA
Dave is a great guy and, much to my surprise, lives literally 5 minutes from my house!

I was very sorry to hear about Dave's grave misfortune, a "near miss" in terms of survival. I hope he recovers soon.

vinylphilemag

WBF Founding Member
Apr 30, 2010
Kelowna, BC
www.vinylphilemag.com
I was very sorry to hear about Dave's grave misfortune, a "near miss" in terms of survival. I hope he recovers soon.

Me too. I spoke with him a few minutes ago and he is on the mend, but still very weak. I said that I'd pop in to see him later this week, and mentioned this forum to him. Hopefully he'll join. :)

Albertporter

Apr 27, 2010
Dallas, TX
www.albertporterphoto.com
Me too. I spoke with him a few minutes ago and he is on the mend, but still very weak. I said that I'd pop in to see him later this week, and mentioned this forum to him. Hopefully he'll join. :)

I've recently spoken to David and the strength and energy of his voice has returned, he's once again filled with the hope and joy that he's famous for.

On the topic of Allnic, David told me about an upgrade for the L-4000 (L-3000) that's reported to increase both dynamics and bandwidth. I placed an order for the transformer kit and will perform the work and test once it arrives.

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
"On the topic of Allnic, David told me about an upgrade for the L-4000 (L-3000) that's reported to increase both dynamics and bandwidth. I placed an order for the transformer kit and will perform the work and test once it arrives. "

Dynamics and bandwith are two of its strong points. It will be amazizing if he can make it better.

vinylphilemag

WBF Founding Member
Apr 30, 2010
Kelowna, BC
www.vinylphilemag.com
On the topic of Allnic, David told me about an upgrade for the L-4000 (L-3000) that's reported to increase both dynamics and bandwidth. I placed an order for the transformer kit and will perform the work and test once it arrives.

Yep. I helped him upgrade his L-3000 a few days ago. The upgrade involves replacing a pair of transformers with ones that are about 30% bigger, and replacing a capacitor/resistor pair. A relatively straight forward job if you have a steady hand and are handy with a soldering iron.

I came home from that little visit with an H-3000 (which I've just started playing with), and a pair of M-3000 monoblocks (both on loan, natch!). :)

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
It would be a good idea to start a new thread on tte M-3000 monoblocks.

Albertporter

Apr 27, 2010
Dallas, TX
www.albertporterphoto.com
Yep. I helped him upgrade his L-3000 a few days ago. The upgrade involves replacing a pair of transformers with ones that are about 30% bigger, and replacing a capacitor/resistor pair. A relatively straight forward job if you have a steady hand and are handy with a soldering iron.

I came home from that little visit with an H-3000 (which I've just started playing with), and a pair of M-3000 monoblocks (both on loan, natch!). :)

I sure would like to read your opinion on that once you've had a chance to listen.

vinylphilemag

WBF Founding Member
Apr 30, 2010
Kelowna, BC
www.vinylphilemag.com
I have the H-3000, was mostly interested in your take on the M-3000 mono blocks.

Oh, OK. I'm reviewing another amp at the moment, so The M-3000s will have to wait a bit. To be honest, I think Dave was trying to clear some room in his living room; I was only too happy to oblige! :)

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
Slipknot is predicting upgrades for the Allnic linehttp://www.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?preatube&1320000727&/Allnic-H3000-phonostage

LL21

Dec 26, 2010

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing