Turntables: Vintage or New?

Lee Henley

Feb 21, 2014
England, UK
Call me old fashioned but I’m a big Nottingham Analogue fan, currently run a Heavy upgrade kit Spacedeck and will next year change to a Dais, for me there’s something about the sound of Tom Fletcher decks

Lee Henley

Feb 21, 2014
England, UK
Call me old fashioned but I’m a big Nottingham Analogue fan, currently run a Heavy upgrade kit Spacedeck and will next year change to a Dais, for me there’s something about the sound of Tom Fletcher decks

Simon Moon

Apr 24, 2015
My cousin has had just about every vintage table mentioned in this thread, refurbished and mounted in various plinths. He must have gone through 7 tables in the last 2 years, and more before that. Idlers, DD's, belts etc. Several EMT, a Garard, Linn, SP10, and more I can't remember. I've heard every one for extended listening sessions. Some of you may have purchased some of his, or sold them to him.

And none of them, and he agrees, have come close to the Kronos PRO he bought a couple of months ago.

I, on the other hand, do not have nearly as much money as he has, and will sick with my vintage TT.

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
My cousin has had just about every vintage table mentioned in this thread, refurbished and mounted in various plinths. He must have gone through 7 tables in the last 2 years, and more before that. Idlers, DD's, belts etc. Several EMT, a Garard, Linn, SP10, and more I can't remember. I've heard every one for extended listening sessions. Some of you may have purchased some of his, or sold them to him.

And none of them, and he agrees, have come close to the Kronos PRO he bought a couple of months ago.

I, on the other hand, do not have nearly as much money as he has, and will sick with my vintage TT.

That is an interesting story. Can you be more specific about why he prefers this modern belt drive turntable to all of the others, and by what sounds like a large margin? Was he fairly consistent with the arm and cartridge combination throughout the trials?

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
At the moment my EMT is not as resolving as the Kronos. But I see no reason why I will not be able to get the same kind of extreme resolution from the EMT. With tt, you can’t just say you like this tt more than that tt without mentioning the arm, cart, cable you are using. I like my Kronos most when I use it with SAT and Opus1. SAT comes with its own silver cable. This combo sounds closest to my Studer A820 at the moment. The presentation, the staging, the scale, the quietness are very much alike. Everyone knows tape has the clarity and resolution that are so captivating. In term of these aspects I just mentioned the Kronos SAT Opus1 or Atlas SL can get so close to it given excellent vinyl recording. I really think if cart, arm and cable are the same or at least in the same league, EMT could do the same. But with bigger sound scale than the Kronos and therefor the Studer. The dynamic, high low extension tts can’t possibly match the tape though. In the mids, tts in my system can even sound better or as good as tape. When I say this tape people just laugh at me. Now I am rambling too much out of subject.

Kind regards,
Tang

Solypsa

Jun 7, 2017
Seattle
www.solypsa.com
... In the mids, tts in my system can even sound better or as good as tape. When I say this tape people just laugh at me. Now I am rambling too much out of subject.

Kind regards,
Tang
Something special can occasionally happen in a vinyl transfer. The fact that it can in some ways sound better or more engaging than the source is hard to swallow objectively, but I've seen it happen. Oh this hobby

gian60

Apr 17, 2016
Hi Tang
On Kronos that is fantastic you also have SAT that I think do the difference
Can you describe shortly the difference between SAT and Kronos arm?

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
Hi Tang
On Kronos that is fantastic you also have SAT that I think do the difference
Can you describe shortly the difference between SAT and Kronos arm?

Dear Gian,

Comparing to the Black Beauty arm, SAT just gives more refined details. The resolution is so high each instrument appears more solid, vivid and clearly presented. You hear better in all frequency spectrum. It is a lower fat sound comparing to the Black Beauty ( I don’t mean B.B. sounds fat either.) You will hear string vibrate and tingle more while the bass is tighter and a bit faster. No difference in dynamic, staging, size. But since each instrument is more definely presented the sense of separation is more. Not night and day difference but if you want to hear more from the groove and get full dna of your cart, this is it.

Kind regards,
Tang

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
Gian,

Have you ever listened to Audio Silente Blackstone? Do they manufacture them self or use Thorens idler?

Tang

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Tang, Audiosilente Blackstone is a tt I have a lot of interest in.
From my comms w designer Simone Luchetti, the idler mechanism is all-new, but based on the Thorens 124 design, incl the intermediate pulley.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
The motor is different, asynchronous and quartz lock for the top model. All polished graphite because it absorbs max vibration as per him

gian60

Apr 17, 2016
I saw only in Munich because Audiosilente never show in north of Italy
I know is a good TT,but for me 22/23.000 euro is too expensive this TT

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Gian,

Have you ever listened to Audio Silente Blackstone? Do they manufacture them self or use Thorens idler?

Tang

Was in Rome this weekend

Attachments

• Blackstone.JPG
    Blackstone.JPG
    55.4 KB · Views: 177
  • Infinity IRS Sigma.JPG
    Infinity IRS Sigma.JPG
    60.7 KB · Views: 176
  • Blackstone Thorens.JPG
    Blackstone Thorens.JPG
    85.3 KB · Views: 174

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
I hope you got a damn fine pizza.
Or did you just spend all your time auditioning gear again? LOL

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
That sounds pretty good.
Hopefully you’ll fill us all on this one. It’s in pole position as a final tt destination in my personal case.

Simon Moon

Apr 24, 2015
That is an interesting story. Can you be more specific about why he prefers this modern belt drive turntable to all of the others, and by what sounds like a large margin? Was he fairly consistent with the arm and cartridge combination throughout the trials?

The same arm/cartridge was used on the tables. The arm is a Stogi S 12 w/VTA and a Lyra cartridge.

Maybe I was being a bit hyperbolic with my statement, but there definitely was a noticeable improvement with Kronos.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London

All restores sound different. And of the two Garrards I have heard, one had good flow and fullness, but wasn't resolving. It is very difficult to make a lenco quiet which is why PTP is so successful. EMT 930 and 948 and 950 ain't seem to have the same reputation as the 927

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing