Benz Micro LP S

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
My overall favorite cartridge is the Benz Micro LP S. I am sceptical about exactly who is making the current production LP S-MR, and whether the new cartridges are identical to the old LP S-MR cartridges.

In your experience, having heard the LP S, which Koetsu cartridge, whether wood body or stone body, do you think most closely replicates the sonic characteristics of the LP S.?

Do you think there is any cartridge other than a Koetsu which most closely replicates the sonic characteristics of the LP S?

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
My overall favorite cartridge is the Benz Micro LP S-MR. I am sceptical about exactly who is making the current production LP S-MR, and whether the new cartridges are identical to the old LP S-MR cartridges.

In your experience, having heard the LP S-MR, which Koetsu cartridge, whether wood body or stone body, do you think most closely replicates the sonic characteristics of the LP S-MR?

Do you think there is any cartridge other than a Koetsu which most closely replicates the sonic characteristics of the LP S-MR?

I have not heard either the Benz or any Koetsu in my system. I do have a friend nearby who owns an LP S-MR and a fairly new AirTight Supreme that I sold him a year ago. He is in the process of putting together a refurbished Technics SP10 MK3, SME V-12 arm and these two cartridges. I will encourage him to finish the project and do a cartridge comparison though it will not answer your questions about a Koetsu.

I think Albert Porter has compared the Coralstone to his Supreme on his similar system to my friend's and he may be familiar with the Benz. You could try to contact him or PM me for his email.

Marcus

Member Sponsor
Oct 5, 2012
I am sceptical about exactly who is making the current production LP S-MR...
Why Ron? As far as I know they are still produced in Neuhausen...Do you have other infos?

Billy Shears

Jul 27, 2015

tdh888

Nov 4, 2010
Philippines
My overall favorite cartridge is the Benz Micro LP S-MR. I am sceptical about exactly who is making the current production LP S-MR, and whether the new cartridges are identical to the old LP S-MR cartridges.

In your experience, having heard the LP S-MR, which Koetsu cartridge, whether wood body or stone body, do you think most closely replicates the sonic characteristics of the LP S-MR?

Do you think there is any cartridge other than a Koetsu which most closely replicates the sonic characteristics of the LP S-MR?

Hi Ron ,

The cartridge that can replicate the sonic characteristic of the LP S -MR is the Benz Micro Gullwing SLR. It's a Benz LP S w/ o the Wood body of the LP S . It's bass is not as powerful as the LP S but the Midrange is similar w/ less body but w/ a more extended high's . It's $2000 cheaper than the LP S .

Tdh888

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
Ron, I too am interested in the answer to your OP. Like you, I also use and very much like the Ruby 2; and like you, I also think the LPS MR is a superb cartridge. However, I think that the answer to your OP is probably very difficult, The reason being that the sound of a cartridge has a great deal to do with the arm/table it is mounted on and the upstream phono stage. With that said, I have heard several other cartridges that might be of consideration...and that I would consider in my system. These same cartridges may not be considered in your system. What are you using as a front end? What kind of music do you typically prefer listening to? What is your room going to sound like? Many variables here before a cartridge should be sought out, IMO. Best, as always, is to listen for oneself ( yes, i know that is very difficult with a cartridge/arm/table combo) in your own system. Failing that, a new LPS MR would be on my short list...and little else.

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Peter, Thank you letting us know about your friend. A direct comparison of the LP S-MR to the Air Tight would be extremely interesting!

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Exactly, Billy. Musical Surroundings says that the LP S-MR is back in production but, other than two somewhat cryptic and confusing press releases from Benz Micro declaring that the company is alive and well and touting an improved LP S-MR, it is by no means clear who is actually making the cartridges these days, and in what ways, if any, the LP S-MR has changed.

Billy Shears

Jul 27, 2015
Exactly, Billy. Musical Surroundings says that the LP S-MR is back in production but, other than two somewhat cryptic and confusing press releases from Benz Micro declaring that the company is alive and well and touting an improved LP S-MR, it is by no means clear who is actually making the cartridges these days, and in what ways, if any, the LP S-MR has changed.

Ron if you want the absolute low down on Benz: I live in Switzerland and my boss is good friends with Mr Lukaschek. What i am about to tell you is no real secret as the Article i posted gives you a good impression of the "company": No cartridge will leave the company without going through his hands. I am not going to use the words "one man show" but it goes in that direction. Ask Musical surroundings what the longest is they have had to wait for a Order..... I know he is a Perfectionist and that is a good thing but he should have expanded the company years ago to meet the demand such a reputation brings with it.

Last edited:

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
Ron, I spoke to Garth Leerer ( The US importer) at Newport about the Benz line and the LP S- MR in particular. He told me that the cartridge was very much available again and that Lukaschek was now only making a few models. Garth said the factory would not produce a large line-up as they had done in the past. Only...if I remember him correctly---the Benz LP S-MR, The Benz Ruby Z , The Benz Ebony. I do not believe he said they were making any lower end cartridges or any metal bodied models. You could always check with Garth.

Billy Shears

Jul 27, 2015
Ron, I spoke to Garth Leerer ( The US importer) at Newport about the Benz line and the LP S- MR in particular. He told me that the cartridge was very much available again and that Lukaschek was now only making a few models. Garth said the factory would not produce a large line-up as they had done in the past. Only...if I remember him correctly---the Benz LP S-MR, The Benz Ruby Z , The Benz Ebony. I do not believe he said they were making any lower end cartridges or any metal bodied models. You could always check with Garth.

This statement makes sense to me...

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
That report make sense to me too, Dave. Thank you very much. Your report also is consistent with the Benz Micro press releases.

But one of those press releases refers to improvements in the LP S.Since I don't know anyone who has a new production LP S we just do not know what that means or how it sounds any different from the old LP S.

Mobiusman

May 24, 2010
Jersey Shore- waterside

I have owned an BM LPS MR for about a year and a half. I chose it when I bought a new VPI Prime and loved the combination with a Pass phono Stage in Spectral SV preamp and 300 RS amp into Vivid G3's and JL F-113's and a ton of MIT top of the line cable. I bought based on extensive listening to a Benz Ruby on Marty's Goldmund, ASI phono and a top end rig for the rest of the path, not to mention a superb room and tons of Marty OCD juice.

There is no doubt that the Ruby and LPS are sibs, with the LPS the much more refined and vital on all types of music--all types. I just remounted the LPS on an Aries D with a 12" 3D arm and the same complimentary gear.

If I was thrilled with the LPS previously with a 10.5" 3D arm, I am totally excited by it set in the Aries with a 12" 3D arm. The only thing that I can say that begins to do it justice is that my system goes away and I am "there" right in the middle of the choir or orchestra. I love it. I thought about replacing it with an Anna, but although I have not heard it in my system although I did hear it in a much better system than mine, it is just too polite for me and thus not as realistic as the LPS.

Last edited:

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
I have owned an BM LPS MR for about a year and a half. I chose it when I bought a new VPI Prime and loved the combination with a Pass phono Stage in Spectral SV preamp and 300 RS amp into Vivid G3's and Jk F-113's and a ton of MIT top of the line cable. I bought based on extensive listening to a Benz Ruby on Marty's Goldmund, ASI phono and a top end rig for the rest of the path, not to mention a superb room and tons of Marty OCD juice.

There is no doubt that the Ruby and LPS are sibs, with the LPS the much more refined and vital on all types of music--all types. I just remounted the LPS on an Aries D with a 12" 3D arm and the same complimentary gear.

If I was thrilled with the LPS previously with a 10.5" 3D arm, I am totally excited by it set in the Aries with a 12" 3D arm. The only thing that I can say that begins to do it justice is that my system goes away and I am "there" right in the middle of the choir or orchestra. I love it. I thought about replacing it with an Anna, but although I have not heard it in my system although I did hear it in a much better system than mine, it is just too polite for me and thus not as realistic as the LPS.

Russ, I suspect that there are a number of excellent pieces of gear that tend to get a 'bad rap' or are less appreciated simply due to their age. The Benz LPS MR ( as is the Ruby) is, IMO, one of those pieces. Compared to some of the more recent offerings...such as the Anna and a few others, I believe the older Benz designs can still hold their own. ( assuming you are searching for great sound and not just the latest reviewer's darling). Personally, I am still in the cartridge hunting mode, ( specially difficult as a) i cannot audition various models and b) I do not want to go backwards in SQ from my current ( old in the tooth unfortunately and possibly a little dried out) Benz Ruby 2.) The Benz LPS MR is still very high on my list...along with a couple of other contenders...1) Koetsu Urushi Tsugaru 2) Air Tight Opus 7( possibly a steal at its price), 3) Benz Ruby Z, 4) ZYX Universe 11, 5) Lyra Kleos or Etna ( if funds allow) and lastly....the unknown but supposedly "uber" cartridge.....the MSL Signature Platinum.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Russ, I suspect that there are a number of excellent pieces of gear that tend to get a 'bad rap' or are less appreciated simply due to their age. The Benz LPS MR ( as is the Ruby) is, IMO, one of those pieces. Compared to some of the more recent offerings...such as the Anna and a few others, I believe the older Benz designs can still hold their own. ( assuming you are searching for great sound and not just the latest reviewer's darling). Personally, I am still in the cartridge hunting mode, ( specially difficult as a) i cannot audition various models and b) I do not want to go backwards in SQ from my current ( old in the tooth unfortunately and possibly a little dried out) Benz Ruby 2.) The Benz LPS MR is still very high on my list...along with a couple of other contenders...1) Koetsu Urushi Tsugaru 2) Air Tight Opus 7( possibly a steal at its price), 3) Benz Ruby Z, 4) ZYX Universe 11, 5) Lyra Kleos or Etna ( if funds allow) and lastly....the unknown but supposedly "uber" cartridge.....the MSL Signature Platinum.

Just my take, I like the Lyra Etna/Atlas and the Zyx Uni II. They will be very different from Koetsu and Benz in terms of neutrality and upper frequencies. Lyra is normally associated with high detail, but Audiophile Bill's Kleos on Triplanar/Kuzma Stabi does not do detail well, and he reckons it is because Kleos is much lower than Etna, to which he is thinking of upgrading.

And recently on the Caeles TT with a Thomas Schick arm and a SET+horn system, the Ortofon SPU a85 anniversary did much better than clearaudio innovation and benz ruby, both the owner and I preferred it much more.

853guy

Aug 14, 2013
Just my take, I like the Lyra Etna/Atlas and the Zyx Uni II. They will be very different from Koetsu and Benz in terms of neutrality and upper frequencies. Lyra is normally associated with high detail, but Audiophile Bill's Kleos on Triplanar/Kuzma Stabi does not do detail well, and he reckons it is because Kleos is much lower than Etna, to which he is thinking of upgrading.

And recently on the Caeles TT with a Thomas Schick arm and a SET+horn system, the Ortofon SPU a85 anniversary did much better than clearaudio innovation and benz ruby, both the owner and I preferred it much more.

Hey Bonzo,

Happy New Year!

My understanding is the Schick prefers low compliance carts (I only know of people using them with SPU's and 103's, etc), so I wouldn't have thought it would be an obvious partner for the Benz which falls into the medium range. Do you know of anyone else using the Schick with medium compliance carts? Just curious.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Hey Bonzo,

Happy New Year!

My understanding is the Schick prefers low compliance carts (I only know of people using them with SPU's and 103's, etc), so I wouldn't have thought it would be an obvious partner for the Benz which falls into the medium range. Do you know of anyone else using the Schick with medium compliance carts? Just curious.

Thanks. I was not sure, so mentioned the arm. I know Schick is used a lot with SPUs. Also these SPU anniversary's seem popular on SET+horn systems.

853guy

Aug 14, 2013
Thanks. I was not sure, so mentioned the arm. I know Schick is used a lot with SPUs. Also these SPU anniversary's seem popular on SET+horn systems.

Ok, cool. Schick does suggest any cart up to 22µm/mN can be used, but I don't know of anyone in practice who does so, and I can think of a whole lot of other arms that'd likely work better on a Benz (or any medium-high compliance cart for that matter).

Just to add another data point, I have a friend who imports the Schick and the EMT 997. He's using the 997 now (modded by Keith Aschenbrenner from Auditorium 23), though mostly because his 301 Lignolab plinth has room for only one arm and has more EMT carts than SPU's.

Back to the topic at hand.

jeff1225

Jan 29, 2012

Davey,
In your list of cartridges, you listed the Air Tight Opus 7. Did you meant to say Air Tight PC-7? If so, I have one mounted to a SME 3012R and you are welcome to drive up to Long Beach and demo it. Cartridge swap out on the SME is very easy so you can bring a familiar cartridge to listen to as well.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Russ, I suspect that there are a number of excellent pieces of gear that tend to get a 'bad rap' or are less appreciated simply due to their age. The Benz LPS MR ( as is the Ruby) is, IMO, one of those pieces. Compared to some of the more recent offerings...such as the Anna and a few others, I believe the older Benz designs can still hold their own.

...the unknown but supposedly "uber" cartridge.....the MSL Signature Platinum.

I think the LP-S MR was well-regarded originally and is still appreciated today. I think some uncertainty was introduced by the ownership or management changes a few years ago at Benz Micro.

I had a Benz Ruby 2 for many years. I think that for people who do not care for the neutrality and detail-orientation of something like a Lyra the LP S-MR is a relative bargain.

With A.J.'s passing I have no idea who will be importing My Sonic Lab cartridges in the future.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing