Some CJ News

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Got the news today that conrad-johnson is switching over to the new Tungsol KT120s for all their 6550 based amplifiers. (Lew feels that the KT120 is a nice sonic upgrade and because of the increased plate dissappation, run even more conversatively, resulting in extended tube life. The tubes are a drop in replacement for the 6550. Price is roughly the same as the 6550s (~ $100/tube).

http://www.svetlana.com/ProductHighLight.aspx?ProId=1341

Now how long will it be until we see cj design a tube amplifier to take advantage of the KT120 specs, eg. 150 wpc from a pair of tubes? Using the KT120s my ART would go from 275 to 600 wpc. Wooooohooo....

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Got the news today that conrad-johnson is switching over to the new Tungsol KT120s for all their 6550 based amplifiers. (Lew feels that the KT120 is a nice sonic upgrade and because of the increased plate dissappation, run even more conversatively, resulting in extended tube life. The tubes are a drop in replacement for the 6550. Price is roughly the same as the 6550s (~ $100/tube).

http://www.svetlana.com/ProductHighLight.aspx?ProId=1341

Now how long will it be until we see cj design a tube amplifier to take advantage of the KT120 specs, eg. 150 wpc from a pair of tubes? Using the KT120s my ART would go from 275 to 600 wpc. Wooooohooo....

Not so fast Myles. You don't have output transformers capable of dealing with 600 watts. I assume you mean that CJ would have to outfit your amps with new output transformers and possibly a new power transformer as well.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Not so fast Myles. You don't have output transformers capable of dealing with 600 watts. I assume you mean that CJ would have to outfit your amps with new output transformers and possibly a new power transformer as well.

Absolutely right Mark! I was only giving an example if my amp was "optimized" for these new tubes. But the other facts still hold true: the KT120s sound better and will last longer. I'll take that ;)

So one wonders as I said, what's on the drawing table in Fairfax :)

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Myles,
Unless cj officially says that an amplifier can use the KT120 you should not swap the tubes - the KT120 takes more filament current (1.9A versus 1.6A of the 6550). If the power transformers are not prepared for this extra current you can burn them.

BTW, where did you find that the KT120 lasts longer? I have been trying to get this information, but could not find quantitative data anywhere.

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
There must be something good happening with the KT-120. ARC has switched over to them and now CJ is following suit. Maybe it is the new "super tube."

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
There must be something good happening with the KT-120. ARC has switched over to them and now CJ is following suit. Maybe it is the new "super tube."

It is really a "super" tube. I had direct experience with the ARC REF210 - changing the tubes from 6550 to KT120 completely changed the amplifier. It became more dynamic and full bodied. This was particularly noticed with the Sasha, maybe because this speaker has a difficult impedance.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Myles,
Unless cj officially says that an amplifier can use the KT120 you should not swap the tubes - the KT120 takes more filament current (1.9A versus 1.6A of the 6550). If the power transformers are not prepared for this extra current you can burn them.

BTW, where did you find that the KT120 lasts longer? I have been trying to get this information, but could not find quantitative data anywhere.

Francisco:

CJ is supplying the tube to all their customers currrently using 6550s; obviously they tested them and the KT120s work :)

This is from the importer, New Sensor:

When used at the parameters found in existing 6550/KT88/KT90 circuits, the Tung-Sol KT120 is impervious to overload, delivering peak power with extreme reliability and long tube life. However, taking advantage of the higher current handling capacity of these tubes, a very unique and super powerful and stable amp can be designed using the Tung-Sol KT-120.

As far as longetivity, Lew said they the tubes are not running as hard as hard as the 6550s (because of the new tubes rating) and should last longer. One thing you can take to the bank: cj won't switch tubes unless they're reliable.

Listen Lew said they really liked the 6550 SED but that this tube just sound better. Not earthshattering but there's an appreciable difference :)

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Francisco:

CJ is supplying the tube to all their customers currrently using 6550s; obviously they tested them and the KT120s work :)

Myles,
Thanks! These are excellent news - I have 10 blue small cardboxes containing matched Tung-Sol KT120's on top of my old cj MV125 and was hesitating on trying them!

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Hi Myles (and Microstrip),

Please post if you change your CJ amps over to KT120s...as a CJ fan, i would be very interested to hear how their amps sound with the new tubes in place. Thanks!

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Hi Myles (and Microstrip),

Please post if you change your CJ amps over to KT120s...as a CJ fan, i would be very interested to hear how their amps sound with the new tubes in place. Thanks!

Sure will. Will take a little time for the tubes to burn in plus am in the process of returning some cables so need to get used to my backup wires :)

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
16 big 'um KT120s are in the house and waiting to be plugged in :) These are some hefty tubes. No thin glass walls like those Sino 6550 rejects.

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
I wonder why the big price discrepancy. On the Svetlana site, it sells for $74.57 each. On tubedepot.com it sells for $89.95 a pair, or about $45 each.

http://store.tubedepot.com/ts-kt120.html

Possibly it's a mistake? CJ charges $100 each.

I don't know about those two distributors but cj is more expensive since they burn the tubes in and then test them for performance "in circuit." They reject (on average probably 33% and more when it comes to phono tubes) a lot of tubes that way and in the end, their products are more reliable.

That's why I was laughing when someone was selling some Ei 12AU7s on audiogon, trumpeting the fact that they had bought these tubes from cj. I imagine those were the rejects they were selling :(

And CJ isn't unique. I'm sure ARC and a few others test their tubes for their customers.

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Possibly it's a mistake? CJ charges $100 each.

I don't know about those two distributors but cj is more expensive since they burn the tubes in and then test them for performance "in circuit." They reject (on average probably 33% and more when it comes to phono tubes) a lot of tubes that way and in the end, their products are more reliable.

That's why I was laughing when someone was selling some Ei 12AU7s on audiogon, trumpeting the fact that they had bought these tubes from cj. I imagine those were the rejects they were selling :(

And CJ isn't unique. I'm sure ARC and a few others test their tubes for their customers.

Possibly, Myles. Because the same tubedepot site sells the SED 6550 for $55 each, making it more expensive than the KT120. I know for a fact too that buying ARC tubes through our Philippine importer is much more expensive than the net stores, be it 6550 or KT120 because of the selection process. But our member dafos vouches for those ARC selected tube, they test stronger than those of the net stores.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
16 big 'um KT120s are in the house and waiting to be plugged in :) These are some hefty tubes. No thin glass walls like those Sino 6550 rejects.
Great! Let us know how they sound!

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Hi Myles...any update? Yes, i know...its only been 24 hours...yeesh...sorry, just very curious. ;)

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Hi Myles...any update? Yes, i know...its only been 24 hours...yeesh...sorry, just very curious. ;)

Hi Llloyd,

Had to send the MIT cables back and put the Kubala Sosna back in. So wanted to acclimate my ears to the different cables before changing another variable. Will switch them probably this weekend.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Hi Llloyd,

Had to send the MIT cables back and put the Kubala Sosna back in. So wanted to acclimate my ears to the different cables before changing another variable. Will switch them probably this weekend.

Myles,

Are you going to try the Elation's? Although I always try to listen to a complete setup of cables of the some brand and type, I could now get a pair of XLR cables to connect between CD player and preamplifier and I am impressed.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Myles,

Are you going to try the Elation's? Although I always try to listen to a complete setup of cables of the some brand and type, I could now get a pair of XLR cables to connect between CD player and preamplifier and I am impressed.

I don't have any plans right now. Am too bogged down in cartridges and phono stages :)

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Myles,

I see now...how did you compare these with the Transparent Ref MM2...or by virtue that the MM2s are now on the market...does that say it all? Are you moving over to Elations? ;) Any particular points of comparison would be most appreciated, as usual.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing