The Audio Expert - New Book by Ethan Winer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ethan Winer

Banned
Jul 8, 2010
New Milford, CT
How can I get a an autographed copy

So many people have asked for this that I had a friend set up a web store sell direct. The link is on my Book page:

The Audio Expert

I wish I could get the same discount Amazon gets, but I can't so the cost is list price. I totally understand if people buy from Amazon! I even put that link first. The only alternative is to have people buy at Amazon, mail it to me, I mail it back, which in the end would cost even more.

--Ethan

Ethan Winer

Banned
Jul 8, 2010
New Milford, CT
The best, smartest, most generous, most intelligent people in history, were also the most persecuted, most insulted with the most hatred, most misunderstood, most misjudged, most misinterpreted, most misconsiderated, most disrespected, and most often banned! :b Very true too.

I meant to address this the other day and then forgot. Yes, indeed. And to quote Gandhi: First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win. (Though there's some dispute as to whether Gandhi actually ever said that. But it's true anyway.) I like your comment so much I posted it on my Wisdoms page, near the bottom.

--Ethan

rbbert

Dec 12, 2010
Reno, NV
Science is based entirely on observation and empirical results. As I often say, empirical evidence trumps theory every time.

--Ethan

In science, observation and empirical results lead to a testable hypothesis. The results of that testing determine whether empirical results can be added to scientific knowledge or left in the category of "anecdotal", which is kind of like a_____s; everybody has one.

FrantzM

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Science is based entirely on observation and empirical results. As I often say, empirical evidence trumps theory every time.

--Ethan

Not sure I agree with that ... more on this later... have to work after all ...

Ethan Winer

Banned
Jul 8, 2010
New Milford, CT
In science, observation and empirical results lead to a testable hypothesis. The results of that testing determine whether empirical results can be added to scientific knowledge or left in the category of "anecdotal", which is kind of like a_____s; everybody has one.

Yes, that says it better than I did. But the point is that empirical evidence is basically all we have, along with observation which is just assessing the empirical evidence. :D

Versus rbbrt's claim that empirical evidence is somehow not science, which is what I addressed.

--Ethan

rbbert

Dec 12, 2010
Reno, NV
Yes, that says it better than I did. But the point is that empirical evidence is basically all we have, along with observation which is just assessing the empirical evidence. :D

Versus rbbrt's claim that empirical evidence is somehow not science, which is what I addressed.

--Ethan

empirical data is part of science, but such information can't be properly added to the body of scientific knowledge (aka "facts") without further testing (beyond simple observation). Here is where I feel many of your arguments fail, because frequently appropriate testing has not yielded statistically significant results ( or has not even been done). And you might try to pay closer attention to who is posting what. :D

fas42

Addicted To Best
Jan 8, 2011
NSW Australia
Is it really the technology that's lacking, or is it the way it's manufactured? What products and services are truly quality products & services, state of the art & worth the price? I also don't want to feel like I'm dealing with a used car salesman & don't want to worry about all the BS.

Great sound quality, technology, products, services, etc... don't happen by accident. They are based on good science & engineering. What you personally like or think sounds good is more than fine !!! Enjoy it your way, because I'm sure as heck gonna enjoy it my way. However, trying to accurately reproduce the sound of an instrument, the human voice, rain, the crashing of an automobile, or the vocalization of an animal requires more than good taste. Maybe one day we'll all be able to enjoy this kind of technology.
Hello, mdabb, some very nice points there, which I can only agree with. The trouble is that the audio industry is just that, an industry, it's there to create income for various people -- not to solve the "big problems". So the cycle of perpetually "improving", "upgrading" items will continue indefinitely, because there is no real motivation for the vast majority of the manufacturers to do otherwise. And the consumers are not helping themselves, by insisting that equipment is assembled in modules so that it is easy to fiddle with, to be able to engage in the rituals of constant swapping of parts thereof.

So, yes, the way audio gear is manufactured is severely damaging what's possible, by adding a whole series of weaknesses which drag down the end result. The next time you listen to a mega expensive setup which sounds very hifi, electronic, harsh and unappealing, then you're experiencing a perfect example of what I'm talking about.

Also, yes, there are enormous quantities of BS in the game, but there is also truly wonderful sound: unfortunately, only a tiny number of people are working on what needs to be done to always guarantee excellent results, and this is not yet fully sorted out.

But the good news, the very good news is that if you personally persevere at fine tuning your own equipment, with the right understanding, that truly marvellous sound is achievable. As far as I'm aware there is no "service" out there yet that can intelligently do this, so you're largely on your own, aided and abetted by good advice from others ...

Frank

thedudeabides

Jan 16, 2011
Alto, NM
I'm with Myles and Gregadd on this one.

The book title, IMHO, is totally pretentious and self serving.

One wonders why Mr. Winer did not do what he said he was going to do in Post No. 25 on Page 3 of this thread?

To quote:

I promise this is the last time I'll spam this forum about my book.

PS: Mr. Winer likes to say that "some people can't handle the truth". Is the above (in bold) a mis-speak"?

What is the "truth" Mr. Winer?

Last edited:

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
I meant to address this the other day and then forgot. Yes, indeed. And to quote Gandhi: First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win. (Though there's some dispute as to whether Gandhi actually ever said that. But it's true anyway.) I like your comment so much I posted it on my Wisdoms page, near the bottom.

--Ethan

Pretty cool Ethan. :b

* By the way, my sister, Sophie, she is one of my best critics,
and she disagrees with some people's judgement here at WBF.
- Always trust a woman's intelligence. ...She speaks from a smart heart. :b

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
I'm with Myles and Gregadd on this one.

The book title, IMHO, is totally pretentious and self serving.

One wonders why Mr. Winer did not do what he said he was going to do in Post No. 25 on Page 3 of this thread?

To quote:

I promise this is the last time I'll spam this forum about my book.

PS: Mr. Winer likes to say that "some people can't handle the truth". Is the above (in bold) a mis-speak"?

What is the "truth" Mr. Winer?

The Mystery Man. :b

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
I am not telling anyone not to buy Ethans, book. I personally prefer his infomercial narrated by the stripper on room treatment. It's far more entertaing and gets to the point much quicker. Personally, I don't think I would buy a 700 page book even if it was filled with pictures of nude college coeds.

I wonder though if everythong has bean developed and measured so long ago( according to Ethan) , why do I need to have Ethan tell me again. Maybe you like Ethans attack style politics., If so I'm sure you will not be disappointed.If not you might prefer the more relaxed stylr of Floyd Toole, et al.

DonH50

Member Sponsor & WBF Technical Expert
Jun 22, 2010
Monument, CO
This appears to be one of those threads that should have been closed after the first post. Announcement made, those who are interested get the book, those who aren't don't, and no huge fight over personalities and The Truth, whatever that is... I certainly don't know and am in no position to throw stones either way.

andy_c

Sep 24, 2010
www.andyc.diy-audio-engineering.org
As I see it, it's the standard subjectivist playbook at work, which occurs on virtually every objectivism-oriented thread.

• Launch ad hominem attacks on the original poster or someone who agrees with the OP
  • Thread gets shut down due to these attacks by people other than the OP
  • This suppresses discussion of the topic and discourages further discussion of similar topics in future threads

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
This appears to be one of those threads that should have been closed after the first post. Announcement made, those who are interested get the book, those who aren't don't, and no huge fight over personalities and The Truth, whatever that is... I certainly don't know and am in no position to throw stones either way.

Don,
I had decided not to post in this thread until now for reasons similar to those you refer, but your post is so reasonable that I have to make an exception and post to support your opinion.

Ron Party

WBF Founding Member
Apr 30, 2010
Oakland, CA
As I see it, it's the standard subjectivist playbook at work, which occurs on virtually every objectivism-oriented thread.

• Launch ad hominem attacks on the original poster or someone who agrees with the OP
  • This suppresses discussion of the topic and discourages further discussion of similar topics in future threads
Indeed. Post bookmarked for future reference.

FrantzM

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010

WBF is in general much more civil than what I have seen here. That is OK to disagree but the ad hominem and sneer are more numerous than I can remember and do not heighten the standings of their perpetrators ... quite the contrary.

I am with Micro and Don on their last posts ...

out and will buy Ethan's book and PM him for some advices.

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator

Don,
I had decided not to post in this thread until now for reasons similar to those you refer, but your post is so reasonable that I have to make an exception and post to support your opinion.

I tend to agree with Don's post.

IMO those who want to get the book should, and those who don't should not be launching any ad hominem attacks

I want to wish Ethan good luck on his book and let's consider the thread closed

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing