Ortofon A95

gian60

Apr 17, 2016
I bought a A95 and Sunday morning I will put on my Bergmann Sindre
I am curios to listen and do comparison with my Coralstone Diamond,GFS and Opus 1

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
I am curios to listen and do comparison with my Coralstone Diamond,GFS and Opus 1

In the future, just for fun we can do a trans continent cartridges loan :D. I also just bought an Anna.

Kind regards,
Tang

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
In some ways the a95 is similar to atlas... Dynamic, neutral, natural, detailed. I listened to both at Myles' and the Lyra did a bit of everything just more... With the price difference I would have gone for the a95. I also liked listening to it on horns universum

gian60

Apr 17, 2016
@ Tango

we can do also another loan
i give to you a tonearm Ortofon AS 309 S and you send to me the SAT

I am jocking.

If you want to buy also one Ortofon SPU A95 new,my friend closed his hifi shop in Italy and sell with 50% discount
Price in Italy euro 2.500,and he can sell for 1.250 euro plus delivery cost

gian60

Apr 17, 2016
What do you think Ked,
i can change Ortofon AS 309 S with SAT with Tango?

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
What do you think Ked,
i can change Ortofon AS 309 S with SAT with Tango?

Thats a very attractive pricing. Your friends or you want to liquidate any Koetsu Coral or Bluelace? ;)

SAT is quite fragile in bearings. The sample that was sent to monoandstereo for test also had a damaged bearing. Once you take the protective disc out, I dont see how to put it back on.

Kind regards,
Tang

howiebrou

Jun 29, 2012
In the future, just for fun we can do a trans continent cartridges loan :D. I also just bought an Anna.

Kind regards,
Tang

Nice, i just bought an Anna too but not sure what tonearm to put it on...

howiebrou

Jun 29, 2012
I like my MC Anna. It doesn't get much play time however as I prefer the ZYX UNIverse Premium so much better

Steve, Could you briefly highlight the sounds signature difference between the two? What are they both mounted on currently?

Thanks

howie

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
Steve, couple of quick questions about the Zyx and the Anna. What loading are you using for both and what do you find is the difference in output between the two? As to output, apparently the Zyx puts out more output than the Anna...although the specs don't really seem to bare this out. If that is the case, do you have to increase the gain at the phono stage with the Anna in place to match the gain when using the Zyx?

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
Steve, Could you briefly highlight the sounds signature difference between the two? What are they both mounted on currently?

Thanks

howie

You can read the review comparing the two carts in Mr. Steve's system written by Mr.Ron Resnick in monoandstereo sir.

Kind regards,
Tang

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
Steve, couple of quick questions about the Zyx and the Anna. What loading are you using for both and what do you find is the difference in output between the two? As to output, apparently the Zyx puts out more output than the Anna...although the specs don't really seem to bare this out. If that is the case, do you have to increase the gain at the phono stage with the Anna in place to match the gain when using the Zyx?

IMO there is just no comparison

The Anna is very nice but seems "polite" when compared to the ZYX. With my phono stage (Lamm LP1 Signature) there is no loading. There are 2 MC inputs. MC1 uses a SUT for low output carts and the MC2 input uses an SUT for a standard output cartridge. What I had Vkladimir do is to put the same normal output SUT in both inputs as it is most unlikely I will ever use a super low output cartridge

I agree that comparison is not valid as my ZYX is mounted on an SME 3012R arm and the MC Anna is on a 10.5" Graham Phantom Elite but everyone who has heard the two in my system prefer the ZYX Premium

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
IMO there is just no comparison

The Anna is very nice but seems "polite" when compared to the ZYX. With my phono stage (Lamm LP1 Signature) there is no loading. There are 2 MC inputs. MC1 uses a SUT for low output carts and the MC2 input uses an SUT for a standard output cartridge. What I had Vkladimir do is to put the same normal output SUT in both inputs as it is most unlikely I will ever use a super low output cartridge

I agree that comparison is not valid as my ZYX is mounted on an SME 3012R arm and the MC Anna is on a 10.5" Graham Phantom Elite but everyone who has heard the two in my system prefer the ZYX Premium

Thanks Steve.
I understand that the Anna pretty much qualifies as an ultra low output cartridge...and in some ways so does your Zyx. However, apparently the Zyx is measured differently as to output. Nonetheless, I don't think the Zyx would likely have a lot more output than your Anna.
Do you have to apply a lot of gain on your LP1 with the Anna...more so than the Zyx?
BTW, I understand loading the Anna at 500ohms can bring some very nice results...may want to look into adding loading plugs upline of the input to the LP1.. Vladimir should be able to help with that.
Might even benefit the Zyx?? I have noticed that getting the loading correct with MC's can seriously improve the sound. Just a thought :cool:

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
Do you have to apply a lot of gain on your LP1 with the Anna...more so than the Zyx?

Yes

BTW, I understand loading the Anna at 500ohms can bring some very nice results...may want to look into adding loading plugs upline of the input to the LP1.. Vladimir should be able to help with that.
Might even benefit the Zyx?? I have noticed that getting the loading correct with MC's can seriously improve the sound. Just a thought

not interestested Davey as IMO the LP1 is about as perfect as a phono stage can get. No way I want to fiddle with what I consider to be perfect

daytona600

Sep 9, 2012
scotland
+1
A95 + Lamm match made in heaven

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
Yes

not interestested Davey as IMO the LP1 is about as perfect as a phono stage can get. No way I want to fiddle with what I consider to be perfect

Ok, thanks Steve.

Very interesting that you have to increase the gain with the Anna. According to Ortofon the specs on the Anna are: Output voltage at 1000 Hz, 5cm/sec. - 0.2 mV

and on the Zyx the specs are: 0.15mV (3.54cm/sec, 1kHz)----which somewhat confuses me as the output of the Zyx can be seen as 0.15 mv!! ( i.e., lower than the Anna; although at 3.54cm/sec vs. 5cm/sec??) Nonetheless, as I stated above, both are technically ultra low output cartridges and should not be easy to drive with any tubed phono stage! The fact that the SUT at the standard setting on your LP1 is apparently giving you sufficient gain is another head scratcher..but if it works, that's all that matters.

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok

It must be Sunday morning in Italy now. Are you setting up the A95? :cool:

I will be putting my new Anna on Orofon 297. This will be on my EMT. The EMT arrived two days ago..still in the wooden crate..havent opened yet. I am waiting for the suspension platform of EMT to arrive so I could set up everything in one time.

Let me know how your A95 sounds. Btw, when you get bored with your Coralstone pls let me know :p.

Kind regards,
Tang

gian60

Apr 17, 2016
Today i am busy with my wife
this evening i will try,i will put on Bergmann where i tested Coralstone diamond,Opus 1 and GFS

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing