Golden Gate DAC arrives.

wisnon

Dec 12, 2011
Guys..I need your help..I have just acquired the Aqua La Diva transport and hook it up to my GG via JPS Aluminata AES / EBU digital cable. But..no sound..silent..I also have JPS Aluminata spdif digital coax..it's working. Question is: is there any incompatibility issue between La Diva and GG or..the pin is switched? I can't recall but I think I have read something about the hot pin which need to be rewired? Thanks a lot..

Not sure, but first thing to ensure is that you select the right parameters. Is there a toggle switch for AES/EBU that is not flipped? Also, are you selecting the R2R or DSD engine...either with remote control or the front button?

wisnon

Dec 12, 2011
Yes..my rear toggle switch are: 1 to select between USB and SPDIF..the one one is to select SPDIF and AES/EBU..

I have tried all configurations possible, like doing a puzzle. :( still no sound when using its AES/EBU input. :(

Toggle first one to SPDIF and 2nd to AES. Then ensure that you select the R2R engine...Not the chipless DSD.

ferrox

Jun 16, 2016
Jakarta, Indonesia
www.primes.asia
I did use my Aqua La Diva into my GG with the 'XLR' AES/EBU. worked fine with standard pin configuration.

there is a toggle to choose the correct input on the back of the GG.

I tested with other AES / EBU cable and still no sound. I think, the problem lies with the AES / EBU input of my GG. Is there anyone facing the same problem? Since we can't open the GG and check by ourselves, what would be the best solution? Ship it back to Poland for a thorough checking? I believe they should have had tested all features prior to shipping to customers.

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
I tested with other AES / EBU cable and still no sound. I think, the problem lies with the AES / EBU input of my GG. Is there anyone facing the same problem? Since we can't open the GG and check by ourselves, what would be the best solution? Ship it back to Poland for a thorough checking? I believe they should have had tested all features prior to shipping to customers.

do other inputs work with the La Diva?

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
(...) Since we can't open the GG and check by ourselves (...)

Why not? If the SPDIF works, it should be a very simple problem.

But before you can try connecting the Aqua Diva 'XLR' AES/EBU to another device or an oscilloscope, just to be sure there is a digital signal in this output.

wisnon

Dec 12, 2011

Didnt you buy it used?
What did the previous owner say?

Contact Lukasz and ask what to do. I am sure he can either remote solve the problem with instructions on what to do/test, he canb give permission to open the seal and can probably ascertain if something got damaged along the way, if that is the case.

ferrox

Jun 16, 2016
Jakarta, Indonesia
www.primes.asia
Didnt you buy it used?
What did the previous owner say?

Contact Lukasz and ask what to do. I am sure he can either remote solve the problem with instructions on what to do/test, he canb give permission to open the seal and can probably ascertain if something got damaged along the way, if that is the case.

I believe the previous owner did not have problem with the aes / ebu output because he used that output. I have a friend who helped me checking with Lukasz right now. There might be an easy fix and I am still waiting for further information from him. :)

sujay

Member Sponsor
May 5, 2012
Singapore
Hi Ferrox,

I have the same problem. My AES/EBU never worked right from when I bought it new. I hooked up my Bryston bdp-2 server through USB which works fine though, thankfully. Not sure whether it's a problem with the balanced input in the BIG7 or the toggle switch in the rear. It's not an issue with my Bryston as i.e. Balanced connections worked fine with another DAC that I plugged it into. Just so that I am clear, I have one toggle switch in the rear which allows me to select between AES/EBU and spdif and the front backlit switch toggles b/w USB and spdif. I have the r2r for pcm/dsd.

As an aside, my spdif, which used to connect my CDP to the big 7 has also conked off now.... the big 7 is en route to Poland for repairs. Indeed frustrating. But I'm using this opportunity to get the superclocks installed!

Cheers

Sujay

ferrox

Jun 16, 2016
Jakarta, Indonesia
www.primes.asia
Hi Ferrox,

I have the same problem. My AES/EBU never worked right from when I bought it new. I hooked up my Bryston bdp-2 server through USB which works fine though, thankfully. Not sure whether it's a problem with the balanced input in the BIG7 or the toggle switch in the rear. It's not an issue with my Bryston as i.e. Balanced connections worked fine with another DAC that I plugged it into. Just so that I am clear, I have one toggle switch in the rear which allows me to select between AES/EBU and spdif and the front backlit switch toggles b/w USB and spdif. I have the r2r for pcm/dsd.

As an aside, my spdif, which used to connect my CDP to the big 7 has also conked off now.... the big 7 is en route to Poland for repairs. Indeed frustrating. But I'm using this opportunity to get the superclocks installed!

Cheers

Sujay

Thanks for sharing your experience. It's harder for me to ship it back to Poland for upgrade because of the distance and the customs processes I have to deal with. Not easy when you are living in this part of the globe. :(

sujay

Member Sponsor
May 5, 2012
Singapore
Thanks for sharing your experience. It's harder for me to ship it back to Poland for upgrade because of the distance and the customs processes I have to deal with. Not easy when you are living in this part of the globe. :(

Same in South Africa where I am currently resident....I am making a customs declaration though that the export is for servicing and repairs. Hopefully that should work

Brgds

Sujay

Evo-No-Revo

Jun 15, 2016
Wow you must be be the first one to get the i2s on a Lampi. Please let us know how it compares to the USB.

Is yours single ended? I would suggest buying a pair, used or new, of KR PX25, special EML Lampi mesh globe anniversary 45 (one of these two sounds better than the other depending on the system) and KR 242 (which if the gain works takes the system to new levels). Get the KR 5u4g recti made for the Lampi.

tubes sell well in the used market so you don't lose much if at all.

Sorry but can't help with single PX4, best is to try KR Audio and give them a number for your tube - they will tell you how to look it up, and get another one made for you. The PX4 are good but not as good as the three above.

No not single ended.

I do have the KR 5u4g. I will contact KR. Thanks

There is an issue with the GG playing Hi Res with the I2s according to PF. I am sure is isn't much of a problem. I will know more Monday when Lukasz gets back with me. It is playing though and PF says that the I2s sounds better than USB. They are big I2s proponents.

I may move to other tubes at some point. I just need to get my equipment home. I am a little taxed out on funds for toys! One used GG and dual PF servers... :eek:

You see the GG. The two boxes on the left are my new fully loaded Pink Faun STREAMER 2.16 duals.

I got duals because I want to use for video playback as well. This was the best solution I could find. Plus the PF power supplies are as sexy as you can get. I also prefer to not have a bunch of different boxes hanging off my equipment. One big box hanging off one big box works for me though!!

dac5-min.jpg

dctom

Jan 28, 2015
Wiltshire UK
www.davidcthomas.co.uk
On a separate note we heard the EML mesh PX4 and compared it to the KR PX4 in dctom’s system. The EML mesh had some musicality due to the way it sustained a note on individual vocals and instruments, but when we put in orchestral it was extremely flat planed compared to the KR, much less separation, dynamics, bass, slam. Then we put in brand new KR 242 and they were a few levels up. A bit hard, probably due to the newness, but the noise floor went so low and we could see through the music. The soundstage would grow huge with the music

have been running in the 242s and they are improving all the time, big soundstage, powerful dynamic swings. Piano sounds terrific, fantastic bass.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing