In built or seperate subs?

Loheswaran

Dec 19, 2014
Dear All

I am about to embark on a custom made audio room when I get my house extended. I have been given a loft room, and I am gonna get a 'room within a room' construction.

Now I am puzzled. I was thinking of getting a pair of subs such as the Velodyne DD's, however, I recall reading somewhere that the 'best' way forwardd is to get some in built into my wall.

What are your thoughts guys.

thanks

Lohan

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
Dear All

I am about to embark on a custom made audio room when I get my house extended. I have been given a loft room, and I am gonna get a 'room within a room' construction.

Now I am puzzled. I was thinking of getting a pair of subs such as the Velodyne DD's, however, I recall reading somewhere that the 'best' way forwardd is to get some in built into my wall.

thanks

Lohan

Never heard of built into wall. Sub location can be critical; for example, moving my sub from 12 inches to 8 inches distance from front wall removed a small bass hump that I hadn't noticed, but now it sounds better. Flexibility of placement is a good thing, wall doesn't offer that.

RogerD

VIP/Donor
May 23, 2010
BiggestLittleCity
Dear All

thanks

Lohan

I have a friend who has a 24 inch Hartley slot loaded into the crawl space of his home,It sounds fantastic. If you have someone who is knowledgeable about such things fine. Change orders in construction can be expensive. Planning and expertise will be everything.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Dual Velodyne DD's sounds great...placement is important...that probably includes the effects of placing them inside the wall. probably best to speak with someone who designs these rooms if you are going to go full-out for a listening room.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
For me it's a matter of priorities. One goes room within a room for Sound Transmission purposes, keeping the sound in and keeping noise from outside out. In other words it pulls double duty by helping to keep your noise floor down and keeping your fellow residents and neighbors happy. Infinite baffles have many benefits but unless one lives alone keeping the subs from activating the resonant frequencies of anything they will transmit through may prove to be a very big challenge to overcome. For practical reasons, I would go with stand alone subs and put the added effort in set up rather than heroic construction.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing