The Magnificent One

garylkoh

WBF Technical Expert (Speakers & Audio Equipment)
Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
www.genesisloudspeakers.com
So it's a bit egoistic, but the Genesis One is what I sometimes refer to as the Magnificent One. It is our flagship model, but it's roots go way back to the Infinity IRS of 1978. Whenever a music lover encounters the Genesis One for the first time, it is always an experience filled with awe - both at the size of the four 7-foot (2m) tall towers, and at the magnificence of the performance.

When you see such a large loudspeaker, you do expect the rock-band levels of sound, the magnificence of a full orchestra, and how it totally dominates the environment in which it is installed. However, what impresses me most about the Genesis One is that it has the uncanny ability to reproduce the small sounds - the piccolo in the back of the orchestra amid all the bombast, the image of a girl and her guitar, and the chamber music trio with an almost holographic image. It is almost more impressive to play it quietly and small than it is to play it loudly and big.

When the Genesis One was introduced in 1993, it had 26 tweeters (20 facing front, 6 facing rear), a 60-inch midrange, and six 12-inch poly-kevlar aluminum woofers per side. The 6 woofers in each woofer tower was powered by a 1,500W 6-channel servo-controlled amplifier. The owner had to supply his/her own power amplifier for the midrange and tweeters.

Unfortunately, the 60-inch midrange of the G-I was pretty fragile, and they broke pretty easily. Even more unfortunately, the 75-inch midrange of the Genesis 1.1 would not fit into the 60-inch hole of the G-I. The original hole was too wide and too short.

Fixing this was extremely expensive as the entire Corian midrange panel had to be changed with all the drivers and crossover. The original 60-inch midrange was manufactured by the Carver Corporation, and that factory closed down in the mid 1990's. Some owners have substituted a 48-inch midrange, but the performance fell quite a few notches.

Besides the 75-inch midrange, the Genesis 1.1 also introduced the 3000W 6-channel G2000 servo-bass amplifier and stronger solid aluminum cone woofers. In the early days of Genesis Advanced Technologies, we revived the G1.1, albeit with my improved servo-bass cables.

The Genesis 1.2 added another six 12-inch woofers per woofer tower. They were mounted on the back of the woofer tower horizontally opposed in phase. This further reduced the vibration in the woofer towers. Having woofers facing front and back in phase seems odd at first glance. However, we have to realize that the 7-foot tall woofer tower is NOT a line source. As the woofer tower has an upper frequency limit of 110Hz, it is actually a POINT source - yep, a 7-foot tall point source.

To drive the twenty-four 12-inch woofers was a new 10-chassis twelve channel 12,000W Servo Controlled Amplifier (SCAmp).

The Genesis One from 1993 is fully upgrade-able to the current Genesis 1.2. The woofer holes need to be enlarged slightly to accommodate the new, larger woofers. The most difficult part would be drilling the twelve 12-inch holes on the back of the woofer tower to accommodate the additional woofers. While the new woofer tower is just slightly deeper and has less than 10% more volume in each woofer cavity, the servo-controlled system handles the lower volume easily. If the midrange ribbon is still working well, the tweeters can be replaced, as can be the crossover.

The Genesis 1.1 to Genesis 1.2 upgrade is much more straightforward, with crossover, woofer tower, and servo-controlled bass amplifier. Depending on the age of the system, the servo-bass cables may or may not need to be changed.

There is much more details on the difference between the models here: http://genesisloudspeakers.com/downloads/G1.2_Fact_Sheet.pdf

Thf99

Member Sponsor
May 1, 2012
Magnificent indeed! I have not listened to the mighty 1.2 but had the opportunity to listen extensively to the 1.1. Despite being driven by a modest front end, it is easily the best sounding system I've had the privilege to listen to. If one has a big enough room and of course, the means, this speaker system is hard to top.

garylkoh

WBF Technical Expert (Speakers & Audio Equipment)
Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
www.genesisloudspeakers.com
Magnificent indeed! I have not listened to the mighty 1.2 but had the opportunity to listen extensively to the 1.1. Despite being driven by a modest front end, it is easily the best sounding system I've had the privilege to listen to. If one has a big enough room and of course, the means, this speaker system is hard to top.

Glad that you have had extensive opportunity to listen. That's rare indeed. Most of the G1 owners I know just smile when their friends ask for the privilege.

The new G1.2 now comes in two sizes. One has narrower wings and will about fit into a 5m x 8m room. The original needs at least a 6.5m wide room for it to "breathe".

Phelonious Ponk

Jun 30, 2010
Yes, Gary, a rather immodest nickname, but having only seen pictures I can understand giving in to that temptation.

Tim

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Glad that you have had extensive opportunity to listen. That's rare indeed. Most of the G1 owners I know just smile when their friends ask for the privilege.

The new G1.2 now comes in two sizes. One has narrower wings and will about fit into a 5m x 8m room. The original needs at least a 6.5m wide room for it to "breathe".

Wow...would LOVE to hear them.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Unfortunately, I don't think that a pair ever made it into the UK.... there are several G350SE's though.

And on the East Coast? NYC, Boston, CT?

Thf99

Member Sponsor
May 1, 2012
Wow...would LOVE to hear them.

Lloyd,
Be forewarned! Don't listen to these Magnificent Ones unless you are ready to buy them! ;) Once you hear them, it'll be tough to go back to the rest of the speakers. They are that good. Each time I listened to them, I have to stop listening to my system for at least a couple of days just to "normalize" my sense of hearing. They really make other systems unlistenable if you compare them!

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Lloyd,
Be forewarned! Don't listen to these Magnificent Ones unless you are ready to buy them! ;) Once you hear them, it'll be tough to go back to the rest of the speakers. They are that good. Each time I listened to them, I have to stop listening to my system for at least a couple of days just to "normalize" my sense of hearing. They really make other systems unlistenable if you compare them!

Hah!!! I will consider myself WARNED! ;) In truth, i love listening to the best systems...if to learn and also to find where my own system can be better. I have listened to systems costing much more at dealers...and what i have found is that noise floor and detail are superior as well as instrument separation...but i prefer the 'voicing', tonality of my system. I am hoping that a good portion of this is relating to my source. Although i have Zanden DAC which is very good, it is not SOTA for detail/noise floor anymore...but more important, i still use Oppo blu-ray player for transport.

However, i ALSO know that speakers make a HUGE difference...and at this level of no-holds-barred design, i can only imagine what the Genesis would sound like. Transformational is what i would expect based on what i have read about them. The other speaker i wish to hear someday is the Rockport Arrakis.
Have you heard these, Thf99?? Any comparison?

Thf99

Member Sponsor
May 1, 2012
No, Lloyd. I haven't heard the Arrakis. I, too, have heard a lot of far more expensive systems than the G1.1 system but so far, according to these ears of mine, none can hold a candle to it.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
No, Lloyd. I haven't heard the Arrakis. I, too, have heard a lot of far more expensive systems than the G1.1 system but so far, according to these ears of mine, none can hold a candle to it.

Thanks for that...can you help me understand what makes the G1.1 so special? How does it compare to Alexandria, YG Anat Ref, ML CLX, SF Strads, Maxx, Tidal Sunray...i have heard these before and have varying levels of familiarity with each. Thanks for any guidance!!!

Thf99

Member Sponsor
May 1, 2012
Thanks for that...can you help me understand what makes the G1.1 so special? How does it compare to Alexandria, YG Anat Ref, ML CLX, SF Strads, Maxx, Tidal Sunray...i have heard these before and have varying levels of familiarity with each. Thanks for any guidance!!!

I'm certainly not qualified to offer you any guidance as I know for a fact that you are a much more experienced enthusiast in this great hobby. In fact, it should be the reverse, you offering me guidance. Having said that, my impressions of the G1s are as follows:
1) Its ability to reproduce a lifelike event is as close as it can get.
2) the resolution of musical details is second to none.
3) To me, the most difficult musical notes to reproduce accurately are those from a piano. The G1s are the only speaker system in my experience that is able to do that. The quality of the piano's nuance, timbre, the attack and decay of the various notes are all reproduced with great realism. Compared to the other high quality systems, it almost gives me the impression that they are smearing those notes.
4) the effortless manner in the reproduction of musical peaks
5) the immediacy and slam of the entire musical spectrum are a tough act to follow.
6) the bass reproduction is frightening and hair-raising.
7) the speed coupled with the delicacy of the ribbons are incomparable.
I can go on and on but I'll stop here. The other mighty systems I've had the privilege to listen to are only fighting for the runner-up position, in my view.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
I'm certainly not qualified to offer you any guidance as I know for a fact that you are a much more experienced enthusiast in this great hobby. In fact, it should be the reverse, you offering me guidance. Having said that, my impressions of the G1s are as follows:
1) Its ability to reproduce a lifelike event is as close as it can get.
2) the resolution of musical details is second to none.
3) To me, the most difficult musical notes to reproduce accurately are those from a piano. The G1s are the only speaker system in my experience that is able to do that. The quality of the piano's nuance, timbre, the attack and decay of the various notes are all reproduced with great realism. Compared to the other high quality systems, it almost gives me the impression that they are smearing those notes.
4) the effortless manner in the reproduction of musical peaks
5) the immediacy and slam of the entire musical spectrum are a tough act to follow.
6) the bass reproduction is frightening and hair-raising.
7) the speed coupled with the delicacy of the ribbons are incomparable.
I can go on and on but I'll stop here. The other mighty systems I've had the privilege to listen to are only fighting for the runner-up position, in my view.

Wow! Thanks for that...from what i know of the Genesis 1 and your description...it seems the sound is like an electrostatic in its microdynamics, sense of space and 'breath of life'...but with the slam of a cone...and further, with the cones being multiple and also the bass unit being separate...it is slam that stops and starts with incredible ease. Which means the microdynamics you get in the mids...are reproduced in the bass...which is truly, truly rare.

The challenge, among many, is coherance and just simply trying to juggle all the different parts to the speaker...4 speakers, multiple drivers, integration with all the components, crossovers, etc plus room integration. But assuming Genesis take care of all of that (both thru exceptional design) and also exceptional custom room set-up...that sounds like an amazing speaker system.

thanks for the observations...

Thf99

Member Sponsor
May 1, 2012
Wow! Thanks for that...from what i know of the Genesis 1 and your description...it seems the sound is like an electrostatic in its microdynamics, sense of space and 'breath of life'...but with the slam of a cone...and further, with the cones being multiple and also the bass unit being separate...it is slam that stops and starts with incredible ease. Which means the microdynamics you get in the mids...are reproduced in the bass...which is truly, truly rare.

The challenge, among many, is coherance and just simply trying to juggle all the different parts to the speaker...4 speakers, multiple drivers, integration with all the components, crossovers, etc plus room integration. But assuming Genesis take care of all of that (both thru exceptional design) and also exceptional custom room set-up...that sounds like an amazing speaker system.

thanks for the observations...

Absolutely, Lloyd. You've got the description of the G1 spot on!

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Hi Gary,

I took these pictures myself, the first 2 around 2004, and the last 2 around 2005. It was owned by the same person, maybe you still recall him, Mr. Uy in Manila. I believe you personally fine tuned this system a few times and I was in attendance in one session. I now am not sure what model the first set of pictures is, and then the second speakers on the 2nd set. I listed them as Genesis 1 and 101. Could you kindly identify them?

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Hi Gary,

I took these pictures myself, the first 2 around 2004, and the last 2 around 2005. It was owned by the same person, maybe you still recall him, Mr. Uy in Manila. I believe you personally fine tuned this system a few times and I was in attendance in one session. I now am not sure what model the first set of pictures is, and then the second speakers on the 2nd set. I listed them as Genesis 1 and 101. Could you kindly identify them?

It looks like 2 of the photos have much wider baffle...could i guess the narrower baffle is the newer one, consistent with Gary having been able to fine tune to the room like with the other photos which he posted more recently of another Client's system which also have narrower front units?

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Also what is the system...Halcro monos, Mark Levinson digital & preamp?

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Also what is the system...Halcro monos, Mark Levinson digital & preamp?

Here are the other 'bretherens'. :D

Halcro monos, yes. Mark Levinson top of the line DAC and Transport, I forgot the model numbers. 20 point something. Preamp is a Jadis JA-200 4 chassis line stage mono mono with their own separate power supplies. The sound was one of the best I've heard in those times, and the organ sound on Cantate Domino can 'crawl' to your feet. :D

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines
It looks like 2 of the photos have much wider baffle...could i guess the narrower baffle is the newer one, consistent with Gary having been able to fine tune to the room like with the other photos which he posted more recently of another Client's system which also have narrower front units?

Hi llloydelee,

I think the narrower wings is the older on since it was taken in 2004, and that one had only 4 woofers in the bass tower. The 3rd and 4th pictures had wider wings and was taken in 2005, and woofer towers had 6 woofers. I am just mixed up as to what their models are called. Was the first (1st 2 pics) pair a Gen 2 and the 2nd pair (3rd and 4th pics) a Gen 1? Only Gary can be sure of their names, I guess. :) Somewhere in my notes then, I marked one of them named Gen 101. I may be wrong somewhere.

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing