Nagra HD Pre Amp arrived today

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin
Great news on your HD preamp. Are you running xlr or rca to the HD amps? I remember my pl-l bypassing the transformers if using rca. I'm sure the new preamp will only improve with time.

XLR out. This is different than our PLL's. The output transformer is the volume control now...so both the RCA and XLR outs is connected to it. There is optional input balancing transformers which I don't have and they are not ready just yet anyway. It's a $4k option. My dealer is going to order a set for me to try when they are available...

dan31

Jul 22, 2010
SF Bay
Sounds like a great preamp with a lot of Nagra innovation. Happy you decided to grab one. Enjoy!

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin
Had a interesting demo on Friday afternoon. My dealer had a client who owns the Nagra Classic Preamp and is considering buying a HD Preamp.

So in goes the Classic preamp into my system. I thought I noticed real quick some things missing. But we listened to various tracks for about a hour. It was quite enjoyable and sounded very good to me. Switched cables to the HD Preamp. And listened in reverse order to the tracks we just listened to on the Classic. This guy looks up after about 20 seconds, and exclaims, I think you're not playing the same track that we just listened to on the classic. Sounds like a different recording. Exactly what I heard. This was no subtle change...the HD Preamp is quite remarkable is it's ability to sound natural, portray immense resolution, and just draw you into each recording. It's like upgrading speakers..it's major improvement.

The Nagra HD preamp is special.

SuperDave

May 12, 2017
Texas
Had a interesting demo on Friday afternoon. My dealer had a client who owns the Nagra Classic Preamp and is considering buying a HD Preamp.

So in goes the Classic preamp into my system. I thought I noticed real quick some things missing. But we listened to various tracks for about a hour. It was quite enjoyable and sounded very good to me. Switched cables to the HD Preamp. And listened in reverse order to the tracks we just listened to on the Classic. This guy looks up after about 20 seconds, and exclaims, I think you're not playing the same track that we just listened to on the classic. Sounds like a different recording. Exactly what I heard. This was no subtle change...the HD Preamp is quite remarkable is it's ability to sound natural, portray immense resolution, and just draw you into each recording. It's like upgrading speakers..it's major improvement.

John,
In your system, the difference was profound to my ears. I already ordered it!! 6-8 weeks of torture but it gives me some time to save a few bucks. It was great meeting you and hearing what you have accomplished and I appreciate the time you took to let me hear your setup. I owe you a nice bottle of vino.

Dave

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal

Great to learn about such direct comparison in your system. BTW, are your system ICs all balanced (XLR)? How are you connecting the Vivaldi?

Elberoth

Member Sponsor
Dec 15, 2012
Poland
Congratulations John on the HD! I have drooled over it during the Audio Video Show in Warsaw last November.

To say it looks imprerssive in person would be an understatement. I bet it (beeing a Nagra) sounds as good as it looks.

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin
John,
In your system, the difference was profound to my ears. I already ordered it!! 6-8 weeks of torture but it gives me some time to save a few bucks. It was great meeting you and hearing what you have accomplished and I appreciate the time you took to let me hear your setup. I owe you a nice bottle of vino.

Dave

I'll take that bottle of vino ! Was nice meeting you to and congratulations ! That 6-8 weeks will go by fast !

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin
Great to learn about such direct comparison in your system. BTW, are your system ICs all balanced (XLR)? How are you connecting the Vivaldi?

Yes, all balanced from Vivaldi to Pre to amps. The phono stage is single ended to pre. The HD preamp has optional balancing input transformers (like most Nagra Preamps) I have those on order as they weren't quite ready when my HD Pre was delivered...

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin
Congratulations John on the HD! I have drooled over it during the Audio Video Show in Warsaw last November.

To say it looks imprerssive in person would be an understatement. I bet it (beeing a Nagra) sounds as good as it looks.

Thank you Elberoth ! It sounds better than it looks ;-) !

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Yes, all balanced from Vivaldi to Pre to amps. The phono stage is single ended to pre. The HD preamp has optional balancing input transformers (like most Nagra Preamps) I have those on order as they weren't quite ready when my HD Pre was delivered...

Now you confused me! :confused: Are you driving the Nagra HD in single ended mode with Transparent Audio Opus XLR cables?

An extra detail - do you know the input impedance of the Nagar HD preamplfier in SE and XLR?

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin
Now you confused me! :confused: Are you driving the Nagra HD in single ended mode with Transparent Audio Opus XLR cables?

An extra detail - do you know the input impedance of the Nagar HD preamplfier in SE and XLR?

Haha sorry. Magnum Opus XLR from DAC to Pre. Opus Gen 5 XLR from Pre to amp. (Magnum Opus RCA from phono to pre then same Opus Gen 5 XLR from Pre to Amp)

The Nagra HD Preamp has a variable output impedance depending where the transformer based volume control is set. Range is .2 ohms to 40 ohms. Transparent says my pre to amp XLR's are set to 50 ohms. And as long as the output impedance is below 50 ohms it's ok. They can set the cables precisely based on your volume range.

The input impedance of the HD Pre is 50k ohms.

Here are the specs if you scroll down on this page: http://www.nagraaudio-hd.com/hd-preamp.html

IMG_0633.JPG

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
(...) Magnum Opus XLR from DAC to Pre. (...)

Thanks . It is what puzzles me - are you just discarding the inverting phase of the DAC, since the Pre does not have input balancing transformers?

The input impedance of the HD Pre is 50k ohms.

In single ended mode? Will it be 100k ohms with the balancing transformer ?

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin
Thanks . It is what puzzles me - are you just discarding the inverting phase of the DAC, since the Pre does not have input balancing transformers?

For now yes. I have the input transformers on order (they apparently are sophisticated and take 1 person 1 day to wind/build). Trust me, I do not feel like I am missing anything. I do expect the input transformers will be a improvement and will report back when they arrive ...

In single ended mode? Will it be 100k ohms with the balancing transformer ?

I don't know, I will check with my dealer...

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
For now yes. I have the input transformers on order (they apparently are sophisticated and take 1 person 1 day to wind/build). Trust me, I do not feel like I am missing anything. I do expect the input transformers will be a improvement and will report back when they arrive ...

IMHO you can expect a significant improvement. I have been playing with OPUS MM2 XLR (mine) and RCA (borrowed ... :( ) cables to connect the DS Vivaldi DAC to a cj GAT. In order to use my calibrated XLR cables I am also using a Lundhall expensive transformer, converting the balanced to SE.

Currently my preferences are 1. pure SE wit SE cable, fuller, more airy, 2. XLR with Lundall - very detailed, but lighter bass and 3. XLR to direct SE adapter, ignoring one phase. In my system it sees to me that the independent unbalancing stage of the Vivaldi sounds better than the Lundhall. But I am still listening.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
IMHO you can expect a significant improvement. I have been playing with OPUS MM2 XLR (mine) and RCA (borrowed ... :( ) cables to connect the DS Vivaldi DAC to a cj GAT. In order to use my calibrated XLR cables I am also using a Lundhall expensive transformer, converting the balanced to SE.

Currently my preferences are 1. pure SE wit SE cable, fuller, more airy, 2. XLR with Lundall - very detailed, but lighter bass and 3. XLR to direct SE adapter, ignoring one phase. In my system it sees to me that the independent unbalancing stage of the Vivaldi sounds better than the Lundhall. But I am still listening.

interesting...i am CJ Opus MM2 SE -SE from Zanden DAC to GAT 2...and then Opus MM2 SE-SE (but XLR termination) from CJ GAT 2 to Gryphon Colosseum. I have not tried any other way. Given your extensive technical knowledge, do you suggest [someday] i might wish to try something else? The folks at Gryphon did not seem to think so when i asked them...i think they felt simpler is better if my pre is SE.

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin
Input balancing transformers arrived yesterday. They are quite large and some weight to it. Think of something larger than a golf ball, smaller then a tennis ball but squished so not round on all sides. Both transformers were mounted a board than has some circuity on it. It replaces a board inside the HD pre with similar circuity but no transformers. Took my dealer all of 10 minutes to install. Most of that was talking to me and doodling over the build quality inside this preamp.

I only have a few hours listening. But from the first note you can tell. My only balanced source is my digital (dCS Vivaldi), my phono stage is single ended so it won't be effected.

Their is definitely more energy in each note. Better illusion of space and movement, and just more involving in how it more easily unravels the notes before you. Everything just seems more "in focus".

I am assuming a lot of wire inside these balancing transformers, so I can only wonder if some breaking in will occur over time..

SuperDave

May 12, 2017
Texas
Hi John,
I ordered mine a couple weeks ago. I’m happy to hear you immediately liked it. Hard to imagine this pre getting better!

Dave

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin
Hi John,
I ordered mine a couple weeks ago. I’m happy to hear you immediately liked it. Hard to imagine this pre getting better!

Dave
Haha...it gets better and not subtle about it ;-) !!

Rotatoubib

May 17, 2015
France
Hello, recently had the opportunity to hear the Nagra HD pre with D Agostino Progression Stereo, was a fantastic combo. I was told that Nagra VPS production will end soon. What about a new Nagra phono amplifier?

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin
Hello, recently had the opportunity to hear the Nagra HD pre with D Agostino Progression Stereo, was a fantastic combo. I was told that Nagra VPS production will end soon. What about a new Nagra phono amplifier?

My Nagra VPS has been a killer good phono stage. It's my oldest component in my system about 8+ years and counting. Would not surprise me if they replace the VPS with a Classic Phono stage. Maybe one day a HD Phono as well ... let me know if you hear something definitive ...

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing