New Ownership of Conrad-Johnson

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Thank you for posting...this sounds to me like a very good story for CJ owners and fans...excerpts from the article:

"After growing [CJ] into one of the most acclaimed brands in high-end audio, Conrad and Johnson have sold their company to longtime Senior Technician and current General Manager Jeff Fischel, who has been with the company since the late 1980s. The official transfer of ownership has been in the works for a while, and Fischel says that “Bill and Lew are still actively involved in marketing.”

During his tenure at Conrad-Johnson, Fischel was responsible for overseeing the development, engineering and production of some of the company’s highest-end products, including the Premier 7 dual-mono preamp and Premier 8 mono amplifier, various ART preamps and mono amps, as well as the GAT preamp and the TEA1 phono stage. He is quick to point out that he is obsessed with quality and has a “serious lust for vacuum-tube technology.”

XCop5089

Sep 5, 2015
Winchester, UK
Very interesting!

As a UK owner of a GAT2 preamp and Premier 350SA power amp, I have had email correspondence with Jeff Fischer, who has been very helpful.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Nice to know that conrad johnson is changing hands within the company and Jeff Fischel is taking the leadership. My usual contact was Lew Johnson - we met long ago and he persuaded me to buy my first Wilson Audio speakers - but more recently Jeff has been dealing with my requirements of parts and information. He has always been of great help, even when my questions were non trivial!

Big Dog RJ

Feb 2, 2012
Melbourne
Thanks for sharing that info Vhiner,

It is certainly good to see that the reins are handed over to a person who not only knows about the brand and what it stands for but also someone who is passionate about CJ. This is very important in order to continue the great work and all the tedious hard work that was put in to it from the beginning, making CJ a true American icon in tube amplification. Similar products come to mind being bold and true to their high fidelity in sound- ARC, McIntosh, VTL, Manley Labs and so on...

However, there are a few (I have owned as well) who have passed along the reins to the wrong camp, ending up in utter disaster. Not only does quality suffer but also the brand in terms of what it previously stood for and what it was originally known for. Sadly these new companies / owners don't have any clue in what sound they're after. This also causes a chain reaction to dealerships as well.

It is actually quite superb to know that CJ is allowing a special person from Tech to hold fort and lead the way, this is the way it should be. After all it is technical knowledge that is at the heart of any high-end quality system. Not looks and size of the company...

Hats off to CJ and many more decades of superb sounding musical instruments.
Cheers to all CJ owners!
RJ

class a

Jul 10, 2011
In case anyone is interested the ET-7 which replaced the ET-5 can be ordered. Cost $9500. They are also developing a headphone amp.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
In case anyone is interested the ET-7 which replaced the ET-5 can be ordered. Cost $9500. They are also developing a headphone amp.

Yes, I read that...it supposedly will use GAT-quality parts. Any word on delivery date in 2018 and cost?

XV-1

May 24, 2010
Sydney
Yes, I read that...it supposedly will use GAT-quality parts. Any word on delivery date in 2018 and cost?

Lloyd. Class A told you - $9500 :) Its available now I believe and on the cj web site.httphttp://conradjohnson.com/announcing-et7-line-stage-preamplifier/://

Featuring audio circuit and regulated power supply derived from our flagship GAT Series 2.
Featuring Teflon capacitors and bulk metal foil resistors throughout the audio circuit and regulated power supply.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Hi Shane,

Actually, I was referring to the headphone amp that CJ announced would come out in 2018 with GAT-quality parts. Was wondering how much it might cost.

Lloyd. Class A told you - $9500 :) Its available now I believe and on the cj web site.httphttp://conradjohnson.com/announcing-et7-line-stage-preamplifier/://

Featuring audio circuit and regulated power supply derived from our flagship GAT Series 2.
Featuring Teflon capacitors and bulk metal foil resistors throughout the audio circuit and regulated power supply.

XV-1

May 24, 2010
Sydney
Hi Shane,

Actually, I was referring to the headphone amp that CJ announced would come out in 2018 with GAT-quality parts. Was wondering how much it might cost.

Ah. Got it Lloyd.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing