Do YG's measurements make sense?

thedudeabides

Jan 16, 2011
Alto, NM
Caesar,

Have you heard them in a reasonable set up? They were set up in four rooms, that I heard, at last years RMAF. Two rooms were very satisfying. The other two so so.

If so, what do your ears tell you?

GG

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
I heard them in numerous rooms at RMAF last year and I didn't like them in any of the rooms. But, I won't pass final judgement on them based on hotel rooms. They are too expensive to dismiss them out of hand because of hotel room sonics. However, I certainly heard other speakers that I thought sounded great at RMAF. The YGs just left me cold.

fas42

Addicted To Best
Jan 8, 2011
NSW Australia
I've looked at two of the brochures, and they make excellent sense, speaking as an engineer. If you make the speakers very precise, as they have appear to have done, then they will very precisely reproduce any distortion further back in the chain, obviously making them unpleasant to listen to. So then, you can throw an army blanket over the speakers, or equivalent, to make them sound "nice" -- take your choice ...

Frank

caesar

May 30, 2010
Caesar,

Have you heard them in a reasonable set up? They were set up in four rooms, that I heard, at last years RMAF. Two rooms were very satisfying. The other two so so.

If so, what do your ears tell you?

GG

Don't mis-understand my post. I know very little about measurements or how to read them. I always go by my ears and by my visceral reaction to whether gear sounds like real music. My ultimate standard is whether the speaker can put the listener in a state of flow, a psychological state of happiness in action, where the listener is not distracted or instructed by the gear. As a result, the listener can lose himself in the moment and connect with the musicians who wrote the music and the musicians who are performing it. Nevertheless, it is reassuring that Stereophile reviewed and measured them, as I like a variety of opinions.

I have not had much time with the speakers, but I think it is one of the better box speakers out there, along with Vivid Giya and Alexandrias when driven by D'Agonstinos. When I heard the YGs in the past, they sounded very natural and real to me.

I do find it interesting that they are marketing the speaker by appealing to science. I know there are a lot of folks for whom the appeal to science is very important. They cannot let go and enjoy the gear if there is no science or measurement.

I think YG had a very creative "Best Speaker On Earth Campaign" that attracted a lot of attention and jolted people looking at sexy but boring ads in the magazines to listen to YGs. Now, the message has shifted to the custom drivers and measurements. Obviously, the higher price of the customer drivers needs to be justified, and measurements are an objective way to show the enhanced performance of these drivers. So I am curious if the measurements are new, legit, and / or made up.

caesar

May 30, 2010
I've looked at two of the brochures, and they make excellent sense, speaking as an engineer. If you make the speakers very precise, as they have appear to have done, then they will very precisely reproduce any distortion further back in the chain, obviously making them unpleasant to listen to. So then, you can throw an army blanket over the speakers, or equivalent, to make them sound "nice" -- take your choice ...

Frank

Good to hear your perspective. So are these the standard measurements you see in Stereophile, or is there something new here?

fas42

Addicted To Best
Jan 8, 2011
NSW Australia
Good to hear your perspective. So are these the standard measurements you see in Stereophile, or is there something new here?
Well, they're measuring for distortion and cabinet resonances, at least in these documents I looked at, which is what should be measured for, and, comparing them to other speakers. You could argue that this could be more rigorous: labeling of axes, and naming of the other brands and the measuring tools. Stereophile measures these sorts of things, I believe, but probably in a different fashion, which is another can of worms.

So, no, there is not anything really new about the measuring, but the general tone of the literature to me conveys that they're taking it pretty seriously. Which should show up in some fashion in the end listening ...

Frank

JasonI

Dec 3, 2010
Looking at the Stereophile measurements for the YG Anat, Magico Q5, and Wilson MAXX, you'd be hard pressed to find fault with any of these flagships on specs alone.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing