Golden Gate 2 Reactions

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Principality of Liechtenstein
After hearing the white based KR 5U4G, and owning the EML 274, I think the Chatham is quite a bit better than either.

Whilst KR and EML make some excellent triodes, I'm not really convinced by their rectifiers so far. I was going to order the KR RK recti, but not now.

I have to disagree with you regarding the KR 5u4g white base anniversary rectifier.
As good as the Chatham potatoe masher is (and especially for the price), the KR 5u4g white base anniversary recti is (for me in my GG at least) still a considerable bit better sounding than the Chatham in every category.
When comparing the Chatham to the EML 274b mesh, I would say it depends on the system. The EML 274b with its airy high range can add some sparkle in a darkish system, whereas the Chatham is more balanced than the EML, it is rather a little on the robust side tonally.
For me, it is nice to have the Chatham but I would always want to have the KR 5u4g white base or maybe even the RK 5u4g (that I unfortunately haven't heard yet. Same is fact for the Takatsuki 274b).

Zero000

Jul 28, 2014
I have to disagree with you regarding the KR 5u4g white base anniversary rectifier.
As good as the Chatham potatoe masher is (and especially for the price), the KR 5u4g white base anniversary recti is (for me in my GG at least) still a considerable bit better sounding than the Chatham in every category.
When comparing the Chatham to the EML 274b mesh, I would say it depends on the system. The EML 274b with its airy high range can add some sparkle in a darkish system, whereas the Chatham is more balanced than the EML, it is rather a little on the robust side tonally.
For me, it is nice to have the Chatham but I would always want to have the KR 5u4g white base or maybe even the RK 5u4g (that I unfortunately haven't heard yet. Same is fact for the Takatsuki 274b).

People should disagree with me. I expect them to.

If you were here in my room with my current set up you might change your mind. And with me in your room and system I might. But then again...

All this stuff is fine tuning for anyone's system and ears.

I just love the way that Chatham is built, though. It is a seriously rugged, brick shithouse affair, albeit butt ugly in a cool, obtuse way.

dctom

Jan 28, 2015
Wiltshire UK
www.davidcthomas.co.uk
Had a chance to get some more listening in with the masher.

Initially it was tonally different, seemed to be less transparent than my EML 5U4G mesh, and delivered less bass (measurably so).

However after around twenty hrs it matches the EML in all respects. It might be, marginally, less airy but sounds very even and plays loudly slightly more comfortably - had a brief comparison to vinyl and it produces a very similar sound no tonal difference, bit less rhythm, swing and presence on blue note album. Overall works as an excellent replacement for the EML 5U4G.

would be very interesting to try out the new RK KR 5U4G

Reactions: Zappadaddy

astrotoy

VIP/Donor
May 24, 2010
SF Bay Area

Initially it was tonally different, seemed to be less transparent than my EML 5U4G mesh, and delivered less bass (measurably so).

However after around twenty hrs it matches the EML in all respects. It might be, marginally, less airy but sounds very even and plays loudly slightly more comfortably - had a brief comparison to vinyl and it produces a very similar sound no tonal difference, bit less rhythm, swing and presence on blue note album. Overall works as an excellent replacement for the EML 5U4G.

My new (used) GG arrived from Poland on Wed. Still waiting for the arrival of the DHT's (EML Lampi anniversay Globe Mesh 45s). The seller included an EML rectifier, and I bought a new RK KR 5U4G rectifier. The seller of the Globe mesh 45s is including a Shuguang rectifier and I have a spare Ceton potato masher (used in my amps). So I will have quite a few rectifiers to experiment with the 45's. Scheduled to arrive tomorrow. Larry

astrotoy

VIP/Donor
May 24, 2010
SF Bay Area

My new (used) GG arrived from Poland on Wed. Still waiting for the arrival of the DHT's (EML Lampi anniversay Globe Mesh 45s). The seller of the GG included an EML rectifier but no DHTs, and I bought a new RK KR 5U4G rectifier from Lampi. The seller of the Globe mesh 45s is including a Shuguang rectifier and I have a spare Ceton potato masher (used in my amps). So I will have quite a few rectifiers to experiment with the 45's. DHT's Scheduled to arrive tomorrow. Larry

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
My new (used) GG arrived from Poland on Wed. Still waiting for the arrival of the DHT's (EML Lampi anniversay Globe Mesh 45s). The seller of the GG included an EML rectifier but no DHTs, and I bought a new RK KR 5U4G rectifier from Lampi. The seller of the Globe mesh 45s is including a Shuguang rectifier and I have a spare Ceton potato masher (used in my amps). So I will have quite a few rectifiers to experiment with the 45's. DHT's Scheduled to arrive tomorrow. Larry

I'm very curious about your findings.
With all that nice gear and excellent tubes, you are in for a treat :cool:
Do you also happen to have access to my favorite KR 242 output tubes?
They don't work in every system, but if they do, they are magical :b

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
People should disagree with me. I expect them to.

If you were here in my room with my current set up you might change your mind. And with me in your room and system I might. But then again...

All this stuff is fine tuning for anyone's system and ears.

I just love the way that Chatham is built, though. It is a seriously rugged, brick shithouse affair, albeit butt ugly in a cool, obtuse way.

You are absolutely right about system synergy and taste.
All that counts is that it matches your personal system and your own taste :b
Nothing else matters

astrotoy

VIP/Donor
May 24, 2010
SF Bay Area

christoph

Dec 11, 2015

abeidrov

VIP Donor
Dec 17, 2015
Moscow
Well, now I have both RK 300B and 242s plus RK Recti. I like them both for different reasons. If I had to choose only one, I would go for 242, but it is not practical to have just 242, as it is in some situations simply too loud. Anyway, I want to try something else. Any advice on what other pair of output tubes and recti I should go for? Takatsuki recti is surely on my list, anything else? Thanks.

Alrainbow

Dec 11, 2013
If you like the RK 300 b get s pair of taks they are way above them in many ways.
Also do you own the cheap chinese recti brown base 274b it’s no we or tak it does pair well many tube rolls and it’s super cheap too
Another tube to try is my fav in the gg2 I have it’s fhe EML2A3. It’s a 242 it has more weight it not heavy. It’s very clear and has low noise floor. This tube is nkt good ona pacific in fact it’s flat a no go tube. The RK I had was odd to me and not a fav at any level.
You can seek the RK for them lol just a thought

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Well, now I have both RK 300B and 242s plus RK Recti. I like them both for different reasons. If I had to choose only one, I would go for 242, but it is not practical to have just 242, as it is in some situations simply too loud. Anyway, I want to try something else. Any advice on what other pair of output tubes and recti I should go for? Takatsuki recti is surely on my list, anything else? Thanks.

The RK 300b sounded really good only with the Ayon 5u4g. With the KR it didn't sound good at all.

As an alternative you will be better off with the Lampi 45s if you were to find them and if they don't sound wimpy in your system they will be superb. Not as good as 242.

The RK with the Ayon recti were really good. I have never seen other rectis transform a sound to this level with an output tube. And the recti did not sound good with the Lampi 45 or the PX25. Heard RK PX4 in the same system at a different time and still have to do side by side compare, but gut says with the KR recti they are much better than the RK 300b, but haven't tried with the Ayon recti

Alrainbow

Dec 11, 2013
For anyone who does not what an ayon is its eml lol. I wondered who they were.
In my two dacs the ayon mesh were not bad but not good either they have a noise level and grain I don’t like. I do think the RK is better recti overall. In the pacific the recti is about the same but outputs are very different than past dacs.

Zero000

Jul 28, 2014
My fave is the EML Globe Mesh 45 I just got off JAC Music. I would phone up JAC and ask him for a pair. This pair was the last but the more people that call the more chance there is of another run.

I think the RK300B is better than KR 242, PX4, PX25 in my DAC. It may be even better with a FIVRE 5U4G I have just acquired but I don't know since Ked has my RK and my DAC is at the menders at the mo.

PX25 was the best for classical... KR300B is definitely best for electronic music. Best allrounder is the GM 45. Well, I think so.

Last edited:

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
For anyone who does not what an ayon is its eml lol. I wondered who they were.
In my two dacs the ayon mesh were not bad but not good either they have a noise level and grain I don’t like. I do think the RK is better recti overall. In the pacific the recti is about the same but outputs are very different than past dacs.

It sounds completely different from EML. We had EML with us too. And comparing it to RK recti is not advisable because RK sounds batter on other valves while Ayon sounds better on RK 300b

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
My fave is the EML Globe Mesh 45 I just got off JAC Music. I would phone up JAC and ask him for a pair. This pair was the last but the more people that call the more chance there is of another run.

I think the RK300B is better than KR 242, PX4, PX25 in my DAC. It may be even better with a FIVRE 5U4G I have just acquired but I don't know since Ked has my RK and my DAC is at the menders at the mo.

PX25 was the best for classical... KR300B is definitely best for electronic music. Best allrounder is the GM 45. Well, I think so.

Justin the 242 does not work as it should in your system (or in Greg's). The Lampi 45 don't do well in his. They do poorly in many P other systems (dctom's, Christoph's previous with Odeon, not sure how they sound there now, and in Al's big 7 that we tried)

Zero000

Jul 28, 2014
Justin the 242 does not work as it should in your system (or in Greg's). The Lampi 45 don't do well in his. They do poorly in many P other systems (dctom's, Christoph's previous with Odeon, not sure how they sound there now, and in Al's big 7 that we tried)

Norman likes them in his.

It is just pot luck, basically. It's not just the DAC it is harmony with the rest of the system. My amps and Apogees just love that GM 45.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing