Wilson Audio Debuts the TuneTot monitor...here are some early impressions...

Lee

Feb 3, 2011
Alpharetta, Georgia

C.A.P

Apr 23, 2010
Im a bit let down.. 10K for a mini monitor that does 65 hz..:confused: I have worked with the Scan 15w series and its a amazing driver, Arguably the best 5.5 inch driver made for what it can do, its capable of solid 40to 42 hz in a 13 to 14 liter box... That being said the two way market is a saturated market and tough sell .. Im sure we will see a micro sub to go with these.. A LA Watt Puppy out of necessity !

Remember the Entec was what many used before the Puppy and thus created a desire, and the Puppy was born..

Narayan

Oct 6, 2015
Im a bit let down.. 10K for a mini monitor that does 65 hz..:confused: I have worked with the Scan 15w series and its a amazing driver, Arguably the best 5.5 inch driver made for what it can do, its capable of solid 40to 42 hz in a 13 to 14 liter box... That being said the two way market is a saturated market and tough sell .. Im sure we will see a micro sub to go with these.. A LA Watt Puppy out of necessity !

Remember the Entec was what many used before the Puppy and thus created a desire, and the Puppy was born..

I have to agree with you C.A.P at half the price they might have been a winner but when you factor in market saturation and stiff competition from little gems such as the Boenicke Audio W5 that are much cheaper...I don´t see these going places.

lordcloud

Jul 5, 2016
Round Rock, Texas
I struggle to understand why anyone would be applauding this speaker's entry into the marketplace.

At half the price, it makes far more sense for what it is. At $10,000, it just seems very overpriced. I can't imagine it being that much better than its competition, that it justifies it's price.

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
Its not aimed at somebody looking for a mainspeaker or a monitor.
Its probably aimed at people who have An office and already own a bigger Wilson ..

I have also played with the Idea to make something like that , these days people spent a lot of time behind the computer/desk and like better sound doing so.
Its cool .

thedudeabides

Jan 16, 2011
Alto, NM
No Wilson bashing but $10K for a computer desktop monitor without the accessories? For "critical - one on one listening? I'm always amazed at "hi-end" gear pricing policies.

Having said that, I'm sure some of the Wilson fans will buy them. :cool:

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
Its well made Gear .
A collegue of mine who had shitloads of money to spent , always said. ;. Better to expensive then not for sale at all.
He also said :Never ask where its coming only ask if there is more. Lol

Last edited:

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Thanks for reporting, Lee. If, as you say, these speakers represent a way of getting the Wilson sound at a fraction of the price of the bigger speakers they should be a success.

Considering price I have a reasoning - give me exactly the same sound quality, build quality and service at half the price and I will say it is overpriced. Otherwise it is just net noise.

BTW, I hope that listening to the TuneTot speakers on your desk is not delaying your report on the WAMM :) - I am looking to read it!

caesar

May 30, 2010
Gentlemen,

As we discussed many times, value is subjective.

And as we also discussed many times that high end audio is a luxury industry. So if someone enters their office and sits in a $5K chair, a $10K desk, steps on a $10k rug, pours a glass of $250K/ bottle beverage, and turns on their $10K baby wilson speakers... and it makes them feel oh so good...

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Gentlemen,

And as we also discussed many times that high end audio is a luxury industry. So if someone enters their office and sits in a $5K chair, a $10K desk, steps on a $10k rug, pours a glass of $250K/ bottle beverage, and turns on their $10K baby wilson speakers... and it makes them feel oh so good...

I think he will feel miserable with all else than the beverage ... :D

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
View attachment 41103

Looks like vintage Radio Shack.

LOL.... I used to own those Radio Shack speakers....they utilized a superb tweeter. The rest of the speaker was trash, but the tweeter was a treat.
Cannot remember the name of the tweeter, but I remember HP once commenting that he thought this particular tweeter design was as great, or greater, than the EMIT’s in his large Infinity’s:cool:

If I remember, they were being sold at the shocking price of $99 a pair....with inflation....err that should make the new Wilson’s worth about...oh, nevermind:rolleyes:;):D

Lee

Feb 3, 2011
Alpharetta, Georgia
Been listening to the TuneTots and running them in some more. The break-in is very much like my Alexias with the mids, highs, and lows improving each day. They are sounding great now and the imaging has improved as well, although that is due to my refining the desktop placement a bit and making sure the spikes are all level.

Very impressed so far!

Lee

Feb 3, 2011
Alpharetta, Georgia
Gentlemen,

I think if people saw this speaker in person and heard it, the price would make more sense. Given the quality, $10K is a fair price.

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
No Wilson bashing but $10K for a computer desktop monitor without the accessories? For "critical - one on one listening? I'm always amazed at "hi-end" gear pricing policies.

Having said that, I'm sure some of the Wilson fans will buy them. :cool:

I'm sure they're ok speakers but there's just too much competition of as good or better small monitors, for Wilson to win any huge numbers of sales whether they're $10k or $1k. They are for people that own big Wilsons and don't care about the cost.

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
They are desktop speakers they are not standalone monitors, as far as i Read the info they are designed with wall tablemount in mind

nc42acc

Member Sponsor
Nov 10, 2015
North Carolina

Lee

Feb 3, 2011
Alpharetta, Georgia
They are desktop speakers they are not standalone monitors, as far as i Read the info they are designed with wall tablemount in mind

Actually designed for one boundary so they can sit up against the wall like a fireplace mantle or bookshelf or on a desktop surface.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing