Yet another groundbox, but this Setchi is quite special

Yucca

Nov 19, 2017
France
Yes, exactly.
And I’m listening mainly from streaming, so most of the music music is not sent directly from the Mini (just used as Roon core in this case).

audiohobby

Jun 19, 2012
The only way to know if it works is test it blind folded. Record the test on video and post the results up. I doubt the manufacturers of this device would be able to hear any difference.

adyc

VIP/Donor
Jan 5, 2013
I have bought A2 and D2 from local dealer. First, I plug A2 to my preamp. I don’t hear any difference. I then put D2 to my DAC. This time, I hear difference. It makes the sound more relaxed and more smoothing. I am very happy with what D2 did to my DAC. I guess D2 did clean up the noise inside the DAC. Very worthwhile investment. I am thinking to try D2 on the router.

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong
I have bought A2 and D2 from local dealer. First, I plug A2 to my preamp. I don’t hear any difference. I then put D2 to my DAC. This time, I hear difference. It makes the sound more relaxed and more smoothing. I am very happy with what D2 did to my DAC. I guess D2 did clean up the noise inside the DAC. Very worthwhile investment. I am thinking to try D2 on the router.

Please try the D2 on your preamp too.

In fact my personal preference is D2, no matter for digital or analog components.

Taiko Audio

Industry Expert
Feb 10, 2017
The Netherlands
taikoaudio.com
Yes, exactly.
And I’m listening mainly from streaming, so most of the music music is not sent directly from the Mini (just used as Roon core in this case).

Maybe your Waversa hub is extremely good at blocking noise, it would be interesting to see what the Setchi does connecting to the Waversa!

Taiko Audio

Industry Expert
Feb 10, 2017
The Netherlands
taikoaudio.com
Please try the D2 on your preamp too.

In fact my personal preference is D2, no matter for digital or analog components.

The D2 targets high frequency noise to a much greater degree (higher bandwidth) then the A2, it can absolutely do better on both digital AND analogue as mimicks your experience!

Yucca

Nov 19, 2017
France
Maybe your Waversa hub is extremely good at blocking noise, it would be interesting to see what the Setchi does connecting to the Waversa!

I could try it, but there’s totally separate circuits between ethernet and usb in the Waversa (2 batterys for each). So I’m not sure to get benefits from an D2 with usb connector ?
I can use an ethernet to usb female adapter though...would it worth the try ?

Taiko Audio

Industry Expert
Feb 10, 2017
The Netherlands
taikoaudio.com
I could try it, but there’s totally separate circuits between ethernet and usb in the Waversa (2 batterys for each). So I’m not sure to get benefits from an D2 with usb connector ?
I can use an ethernet to usb female adapter though...would it worth the try ?

Actually if the hub section is battery powered and truly floating, I dont think it will have any effect on either. Very interesting, I think I may need to get one!

Darmstadtium

Dec 18, 2019
Ireland
Hello everyone
I own a denafrips terminator and antipodes CX/EX combo. could anyone please let me know if they have tried the sketch boxes with either with positive results ?

Taiko Audio

Industry Expert
Feb 10, 2017
The Netherlands
taikoaudio.com
Hello everyone
I own a denafrips terminator and antipodes CX/EX combo. could anyone please let me know if they have tried the sketch boxes with either with positive results ?

Hello Darmstadtium,

Unaware on usage with the antipodes but they are being used with the denafrips.

Reactions: Darmstadtium

Darmstadtium

Dec 18, 2019
Ireland
Hello Darmstadtium,

Unaware on usage with the antipodes but they are being used with the denafrips.
Thanks Emile
Mind letting me know which input/Output they used to connect the denafrips ? also do you think it will have an effect on my SOTM switch as well ?

dminches

Oct 22, 2011
I have a Lampizator Big 7 MKII DAC. What would be the preferred method of connection for a D-2? My choices are:

1 - S/PDIF RCA
2 - S/PDIF XLR
3 - Grounding screw

It is a single-ended unit and I use the USB input for the digital signal.

Taiko Audio

Industry Expert
Feb 10, 2017
The Netherlands
taikoaudio.com
I have a Lampizator Big 7 MKII DAC. What would be the preferred method of connection for a D-2? My choices are:

1 - S/PDIF RCA
2 - S/PDIF XLR
3 - Grounding screw

It is a single-ended unit and I use the USB input for the digital signal.

SPDIF RCA although the difference with XLR would be rather minimal. Chassis grounding is less pronounced in effect.

Reactions: J007B

Lee

Feb 3, 2011
Alpharetta, Georgia
I just added the Synergistic Research Active Ground Block. Surprised how much better it is over the passive ground block they sell which I also liked.

Grounding is very important.

Since we are talking DACs, add a Synergistic Tranquility Base under your Lampi. Makes a big difference. I put one under my PS Audio DirectStream DAC and clarity improved a surprising amount.

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong
I just found a new use for the Setchi small groundboxes.

My home old Asus router (placed in the study room) died 2 wks ago, after in use for 8 yrs.
So I bought a new WiFi6 AiMesh combo : Asus RT-AC86U twin pack and installed them last week.
https://www.techspot.com/products/routers/asus-rt-ac86u-wireless-ac-2900mbps-gigabit-router.170431/
20200315_114033~2.jpg

I installed the mother router in my small study room and the daughter router in my sitting room near my audio system, so as to improve the wifi signal in the sitting room.

Wow the sound became very bad : dry and harsh, even though I plugged them NOT into my audio powerline system but just the other home appliance powerline.
o_O

I guess it must be their switching psu. I thought : I would buy LPS for them asap but for the time being, I had a spare Setchi D2 with usb plug so why not trying it on the Asus daughter router?

20200315_113756~3.jpg
20200315_113822~2.jpg

Bingo! Maybe 60-70% of the musicality/naturalness has returned.
:D

I don't know what the underlying mechanism is, but I do know that I will try one additional Setchi D2 on my study room Asus mother router!
:cool:

Last edited:

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong
Funny, I have the exact same router!
Asus routers are reliable/durable and reasonably priced.
Mine had been used for 8 years before breakdown.

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong
I do have mine spaced well away from my listening room. Fwiw it sounds much better, or less worse ;), then the netgear gaming routers.
Agree, I listened to a few switches and routers of Netgear and they were not my cup of tea.

Reactions: Taiko Audio

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing