Lampi GG 512dsd + 44k + 48k superclocks + RTR PCM + KR242 + grounding post + SGM server----

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Principality of Liechtenstein
Hi Ruben

Could somebody share the correct settings for HQplayer in order to upsample everything to DSD512. I've build a powerfull enough system (6700K, 16GB) to upsample but I struggle to find the correct settings. HQplayer does see the Amanero in my GG. I've got the backend set to ASIO and the device is Combo 384 ASIO 1.03, is this correct?

So far everything looks good.
There is no "one correct" setting in HQPlayer, it's also about personal taste/preference.
Here I found in a T&A DAC 8 DSD review http://www.audiostream.com/content/ta-dac-8#29HjyPp6tUmrF9DK.97

an example of HQPlayer settings: http://www.audiostream.com/images/122716ta6.jpg
You could use these settings as a starting point and explore from there.

I have the exact same SDM defaults btw. ;)

I hope this helps to get you started

Cheers,
Christoph

RubenV.

Feb 23, 2015
Hi Ruben

So far everything looks good.
There is no "one correct" setting in HQPlayer, it's also about personal taste/preference.
Here I found in a T&A DAC 8 DSD review http://www.audiostream.com/content/ta-dac-8#29HjyPp6tUmrF9DK.97

an example of HQPlayer settings: http://www.audiostream.com/images/122716ta6.jpg
You could use these settings as a starting point and explore from there.

I have the exact same SDM defaults btw. ;)

I hope this helps to get you started

Cheers,
Christoph

Thanks Mark & Christoph, I will try these settings out with some local files first, before trying Roon and Roonserver again.

khonfused

Jun 15, 2015
Bavaria
Mike,

any more impressions on your upgraded GG?

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
Mike,

any more impressions on your upgraded GG?

the last 3 weeks I've had some 'system' issues which kept me from really doing any critical listening.....these things got cleared up on Friday night. this explains why I've not posted much about the upgraded GG. but these last few days have been really fun. there is no doubt that both new dacs (PCM RTR and 512dsd.....both with superclocks) are both outstanding.

not to be ignored is the SGM server (with HQ Player) and it's contributions. it's very special sounding. and the new KR242's are another level beyond the Elrogs as an output tube. it's more almost 'solid state' sounding (in a good way to my thinking) in terms of presentation and linearity top and bottom.

on the pcm RTR engine I'm hearing space and focus I had not heard before from the same PCM files. maybe still slightly greater vividness and microdynamics from the Trinity dac....but with so many changes including system changes it is hard to say definitively. certainly much, much, better than using JRiver to upsample pcm TO Quad dsd with my old GG. this is outstanding PCM performance.

with the 512dsd dac on dsd files it's very, very refined and focused. I'm getting greater textures and timbre complexity, and greater authority and sense of flow. the best dsd performance I have yet heard anywhere.

how much of these changes are the KR242's, or the SGM?

I've dabbled with upsampling PCM to 512dsd and upsampling dsd to dxd some, but no conclusions. I need to throw the Elrogs back in to give me some context at some point.

however...........tomorrow I will have the Nagra HD dac here briefly, and then this weekend I will have the Aqua Formula dac here. so comparisons to those dacs will command center stage.

then I will get back to uncovering the layers of upgraded GG truth.

Audiocrack

Aug 10, 2012
Mike, How would you rate the performance of your current digital set up in comparison to your vinyl and tape set up? Has the gap been narrowed significantly?

Blue58

Jan 20, 2013
London, UK
the last 3 weeks I've had some 'system' issues which kept me from really doing any critical listening.....these things got cleared up on Friday night. this explains why I've not posted much about the upgraded GG. but these last few days have been really fun. there is no doubt that both new dacs (PCM RTR and 512dsd.....both with superclocks) are both outstanding.

not to be ignored is the SGM server (with HQ Player) and it's contributions. it's very special sounding. and the new KR242's are another level beyond the Elrogs as an output tube. it's more almost 'solid state' sounding (in a good way to my thinking) in terms of presentation and linearity top and bottom.

on the pcm RTR engine I'm hearing space and focus I had not heard before from the same PCM files. maybe still slightly greater vividness and microdynamics from the Trinity dac....but with so many changes including system changes it is hard to say definitively. certainly much, much, better than using JRiver to upsample pcm TO Quad dsd with my old GG. this is outstanding PCM performance.

with the 512dsd dac on dsd files it's very, very refined and focused. I'm getting greater textures and timbre complexity, and greater authority and sense of flow. the best dsd performance I have yet heard anywhere.

how much of these changes are the KR242's, or the SGM?

I've dabbled with upsampling PCM to 512dsd and upsampling dsd to dxd some, but no conclusions. I need to throw the Elrogs back in to give me some context at some point.

however...........tomorrow I will have the Nagra HD dac here briefly, and then this weekend I will have the Aqua Formula dac here. so comparisons to those dacs will command center stage.

then I will get back to uncovering the layers of upgraded GG truth.
Wow! Both the Formula AND the Nagra, you lucky man. Do you have the T+A lying around too? ;-)
I think we're all waiting for your report with anticipation.
Blue58

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Wow! Both the Formula AND the Nagra, you lucky man. Do you have the T+A lying around too? ;-)
I think we're all waiting for your report with anticipation.
Blue58

Audio Lounge is not far from you, they have the Nagra set up, and I can get the Lampi there if you want to listen yourself.

Blue58

Jan 20, 2013
London, UK
Audio Lounge is not far from you, they have the Nagra set up, and I can get the Lampi there if you want to listen yourself.
Thanks for the heads up and if you find yourself heading this way then pop in for an audio update. A big change since you were last here. Still have the Duos, sorry!
Blue58

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
To Mike's post, when the 242s work, they make the biggest difference. Those who don't believe me can ask Audiophile Bill to confirm. They are a gain play so work differently in different systems, but when they do, the increase is stratospheric.

wisnon

Dec 12, 2011

Yes, I popped in for a short tour last week. Very nice establishment and Bryan was very accomodating. Thumbs up.

I should get my updated GG back soon. If the DSD512 engine in the demo Atlantic was any indication, the DSD playback in my GG will be even better than before...which is kinda hard to fathom.

I got both superclocks, R2R FW update, DSD512, new digitaal PCB and max volume output turndown to accomodate KR242.
Cant wait!

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Yes, I popped in for a short tour last week. Very nice establishment and Bryan was very accomodating. Thumbs up.

I should get my updated GG back soon. If the DSD512 engine in the demo Atlantic was any indication, the DSD playback in my GG will be even better than before...which is kinda hard to fathom.

I got both superclocks, R2R FW update, DSD512, new digitaal PCB and max volume output turndown to accomodate KR242.
Cant wait!

Sorry, is the R2R FW update different from the R2R I already have? Also what is the new digital PCB, is this the red/gold thing?

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Btw, Mike, are you getting the Nagra CD player as well with the dac? I spun the CDs through both, in Lampi via SPDIF

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010
Mike, How would you rate the performance of your current digital set up in comparison to your vinyl and tape set up? Has the gap been narrowed significantly?

my first non-reflective reaction would be no. then, after considering the very best of what I've heard I would say 'a little'. some of the native dxd particularly gets closer. all the graphs need to line up. makes me want more dxd files. I think the SGM server does make a significant difference.

but; the needle drops and we are not in Kansas anymore. the Goldfinger Statement is improving too.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Unfortunately, Golden Gate today took a different meaning

wisnon

Dec 12, 2011
Sorry, is the R2R FW update different from the R2R I already have? Also what is the new digital PCB, is this the red/gold thing?
My GG was first Gen...so only getting what you already have.

Digital POWER supply PCB. Typo.

wisnon

Dec 12, 2011
my first non-reflective reaction would be no. then, after considering the very best of what I've heard I would say 'a little'. some of the native dxd particularly gets closer. all the graphs need to line up. makes me want more dxd files. I think the SGM server does make a significant difference.

but; the needle drops and we are not in Kansas anymore. the Goldfinger Statement is improving too.
Wow, that implies that the DXD tracks are beating the stellar DSD128 tracks that I know you have. Hard to fathom that the R2R engine can beat the chipless dsd512 engine!

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010
Wow, that implies that the DXD tracks are beating the stellar DSD128 tracks that I know you have. Hard to fathom that the R2R engine can beat the chipless dsd512 engine!

too soon for any absolutes. just commenting on what has grabbed my attention so far. but dxd on the right PCM dac is compelling. I always wondered what dxd might sound like if the Trinity dac could handle it.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing