Doctor's Orders-Part Two-The New Listening Room Of Steve Williams

I've ordered a pair of Cyclops' for my 2 pairs of mono blocks. I'm pretty excited. :)

Ack: Are these real questions or are they just retorical? And to whom are you addressing them?

They are real and addressed to you: What is really going on inside the Typhon with the hot and the neutral? How are they connected.

They are real and addressed to you: What is really going on inside the Typhon with the hot and the neutral? How are they connected.

There are two NICs in the Typhon - two very large NICs. There is nothing else in the Typhon. I have posted the patent application for the NICs. Did you read it? There really isn't anything more you need to know.

You asked if all this is true. Yes it is all true. The Typhon is real. The NICs are real. The measurements are actual tests performed before the camera. You can repeat the tests yourself with your own equipment if you are that perplexed or suspicious.

RE: Your question about a connection between the hot and neutral.
I don't understand your confusion. You obviously would not connect the hot and neutral because it would create a dead short and blow the circuit breaker. If you don't understand something, how about being more specific and detailed in what you are confused about because you seem like a smart guy and I am sure that is not what you meant.

The Typhon was created as an optional adjunct to the Triton. The Triton is a power distribution unit. It distributes power to 8 outlets, provides surge protection and reduces noise with an MPDA filter and 3 internal NICs. The Typhon is not a power distribution unit - it is a noise reduction unit that connects into the Triton's power distribution buss via an umbilical cable. The Typhon is NOT in the current path and works in parallel to the Triton's power circuit.

As I believe I explained in the previous post, the NICs are NOT conventional filters and if you try to think of them that way you will get very confused. The purpose of the video tests is to demonstrate that the Typhon has no measureable reactance and does not contain inductors. transformers or capacitors. Some suspicious types had made the assertion that the NICs were just large coils or capacitors. Their reasoning was that anything that has the obvious sonic benefits that the Typhon demonstrates must have them. It does not as the tests prove.

How about this to all the conspiracy theorists: The Typhon is what we say it is and works the way we say it works.

The Typhon is what we say it is and works the way we say it works.

Thanks Caelin. I will attest to that as well. The Typhon (and Triton) are indeed some of the most special pieces of equipment I have ever added to my system. I warn people that if they demo it be prepared never to be without them. They were game changers to my system

RE: Your question about a connection between the hot and neutral.
I don't understand your confusion. You obviously would not connect the hot and neutral because it would create a dead short and blow the circuit breaker. If you don't understand something, how about being more specific and detailed in what you are confused about because you seem like a smart guy and I am sure that is not what you meant.

Sorry for not being clear... "connected" doesn't mean shorted (two things could be connected by a resistor, for example). But let me try again: are the hot and neutral _somehow_ connected to each other inside the Typhon? Is there, say, an extremely high value resistor between them (100Gohm??? just to make up the value), that the measuring equipment simply cannot measure? I have no doubt anyone can repeat your results, but from this vantage point you seem to be measuring two things that are completely disjointed and unrelated to each other, therefore, of course there would be no LCR.

The patent claims:

"A power wire conductor passes axially through the center of the hollow conductive tube. The power wire is electrically bonded at only a single point within the tube. The wire may be connected at any point within the tube, but the preferred location is generally at a center point along the longitudinal length along the interior surface of the tube. The power wire should be insulated along its length within the tube so as to prevent contact with the tube at any point other than the desired contact point, but the insulation is removed at the electrically conductive contact point (a bonding point). When constructed in this manner, the hollow tube is not an actual conductor; rather, the tube defines a chamber that radiates an electromagnetic field within its hollow core. In the context of this invention, emphasis must be placed on the electric field component of the electromagnetic field. Therefore, the hollow tube may be considered and described as an electric field chamber."

It's not entirely clear, but this tells me the hot is simply electrically connected to its own NIC in the middle of the NIC, similarly the neutral is "bonded" to its own NIC, and otherwise there is no connection of any sort between the wires and/or the NICs. Fine, we can easily then understand there couldn't possibly be any measurable LCR characteristics between hot and neutral because they are simply not connected, and you don't need an elaborate video to prove it; in that case, I find the approach in the video not valid from an engineering perspective - we tend to measure things that are somehow connected (related) to each other, not unrelated things.

Sorry for not being clear... "connected" doesn't mean shorted (two things could be connected by a resistor, for example). But let me try again: are the hot and neutral _somehow_ connected to each other inside the Typhon? Is there, say, an extremely high value resistor between them (100Gohm??? just to make up the value), that the measuring equipment simply cannot measure? I have no doubt anyone can repeat your results, but from this vantage point you seem to be measuring two things that are completely disjointed and unrelated to each other, therefore, of course there would be no LCR.

The patent claims:

"A power wire conductor passes axially through the center of the hollow conductive tube. The power wire is electrically bonded at only a single point within the tube. The wire may be connected at any point within the tube, but the preferred location is generally at a center point along the longitudinal length along the interior surface of the tube. The power wire should be insulated along its length within the tube so as to prevent contact with the tube at any point other than the desired contact point, but the insulation is removed at the electrically conductive contact point (a bonding point). When constructed in this manner, the hollow tube is not an actual conductor; rather, the tube defines a chamber that radiates an electromagnetic field within its hollow core. In the context of this invention, emphasis must be placed on the electric field component of the electromagnetic field. Therefore, the hollow tube may be considered and described as an electric field chamber."

It's not entirely clear, but this tells me the hot is simply electrically connected to its own NIC in the middle of the NIC, similarly the neutral is "bonded" to its own NIC, and otherwise there is no connection of any sort between the wires and/or the NICs. Fine, we can easily then understand there couldn't possibly be any measurable LCR characteristics between hot and neutral because they are simply not connected, and you don't need an elaborate video to prove it; in that case, I find the approach in the video not valid from an engineering perspective - we tend to measure things that are somehow connected (related) to each other, not unrelated things.

To answer your first question. There is a complete circuit within the unit - the specifics of which we chose to not disclose. I think we have been more than open about the unit and how it works. I am under no obligation to reveal what I consider proprietary information simply to satisfy idle curiosity.

Of course the tests are relevant. When you are demonstrating a principle feature of the product which is its non-reactance - the tests that were demonstrated are the EXACT tests that you would run to demonstrate the lack of reactance. That the actual design of the unit supports that prinicple is not irrelevant. Rather the underlyimg design only supports the assertion that the unit has no reactance. In other words, to go back to your question: Is this all true? Yes the actual design supports the truth of it. And for those that don't understand physics or who are conspiratorial types, the tests objectively prove it.

Fair enough. I scraped this picture from the net - does it accurately depict the Typhon?

shunyata_typhon_internal_large.jpg

What I see is a ground wire from the IEC connector to the chassis, and a hot + neutral from the IEC into their own NICs. I assume the circuits you mention are in the NICs; I saw no mention of a circuit in the patent, but it is what it is. I intend to get a Typhon and open it up. I need to assess value for the asking price, while I take it at face value that it reduces noise. I actually love the fact it's a parallel filter with allegedly no other electrical impact; but I need to figure out whether it would somehow suffer from current suck-out effect during high demands.

Thanks

Fair enough. I scraped this picture from the net - does it accurately depict the Typhon?

What I see is a ground wire from the IEC connector to the chassis, and a hot + neutral from the IEC into their own NICs. I assume the circuits you mention are in the NICs; I saw no mention of a circuit in the patent, but it is what it is. I intend to get a Typhon and open it up. I need to assess value for the asking price, while I take it at face value that it reduces noise. I actually love the fact it's a parallel filter with allegedly no other electrical impact; but I need to figure out whether it would somehow suffer from current suck-out effect during high demands.

Thanks

Peter

I can tell you that there are no suck outs during high demands

Peter

I can tell you that there are no suck outs during high demands

Perhaps in your system, with high efficiency speakers. Personally, I always ask - where's the catch; usually, you gain some but give up something else. Free lunch?

Of course the tests are relevant. When you are demonstrating a principle feature of the product which is its non-reactance - the tests that were demonstrated are the EXACT tests that you would run to demonstrate the lack of reactance.

Hello

Well hold on just a minute now. Conventional meters are designed to measure either in series or in parrallel. They are not designed to measure into an open circuit. I can attach any meter to any conventional LCR component and it will autorange all day long without the second connection. What you are doing is placing the two leads on isolated components. Of course it is going to autorange.

For you to have a chance at a measurement you would have to measure between the bonding point inside the NIC and the other side of the the absorbing material which in this case I would assume is the ground terminal which you did not test.

Rob:)

For you to have a chance at a measurement you would have to measure between the bonding point inside the NIC and the other side of the the absorbing material which in this case I would assume is the ground terminal which you did not test.

Rob:)

I think this is a very fair question - is there leakage to ground

Coming to the party late. Regarding the hiss that the cable removes , does this hiss return when the cable is removed ?

Al

Coming to the party late. Regarding the hiss that the cable removes , does this hiss return when the cable is removed ?

Al

Al,
I think we are debating the Typhon, not the power cables.

Caelin,

A couple of questions.

Would it make sense to create a 'large' Typhon that goes parallel to the mains coming into the breaker box? Sort of an audiophile circuit breaker box that cleans all the circuits so that individual Typhons are not needed.

Also, is the effect of Typhons cumulative; if one works would two be better?

Thanks.

I use 3 Typhons

BTW, these are not small and/or light boxes. They occupy a lot of land so I would bet the size of such would be huge. Initially the Triton/Typhon was to be one box however the overall weight and size resulted in the Typhon now being an add on to the Triton

Thanks

Do as you wish. If there was something to hide we wouldn't publish the internal photos on our website which is where the photo came from.

The Typhon is not in the current path and as you have all seen it has no measureable conductivity or reactance and therefore could not suffer a suck out. Further, no one who has used the Typhon has reported any such effect.

There is no current leakage to ground or chassis. The ground wire is a simple connection to chassis for safety.

Perhaps in your system, with high efficiency speakers. Personally, I always ask - where's the catch; usually, you gain some but give up something else. Free lunch?

Very good point! With the Typhon the catch is the not insignificant price and its massive weight. Performance wise, we don't know of a down side.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing