Digital cards : Lynx AES16 or RME HDSPe AIO

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Asking for a friend : in terms of pure sound quality and considering only the AES/EBU output which would be the better choice -the Lynx AES16 or the RME HDSPe AIO?

My naive question - can these cards be used to output DSD2 files in digital format through the AES/EBU to adequate converters?

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
Asking for a friend : in terms of pure sound quality and considering only the AES/EBU output which would be the better choice -the Lynx AES16 or the RME HDSPe AIO?

My naive question - can these cards be used to output DSD2 files in digital format through the AES/EBU to adequate converters?

I have never heard the RME AIO card but I have the RME AES32 card. I also have the Lynx AES16 and AES16e cards. I "prefer" the AES16 card overall. You'll have to find a mobo with a PCI slot to acomodate this card. I just feel it has a better user interface and to me sounds better.

No, they will not output DSD signals.

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong

I own a RME AIO and have heard RME AES & the newest RME MADI FX :
http://www.rme-audio.de/en_products_hdspe_aes.php
http://www.rme-audio.de/en_products_hdspe_madi_fx.php
These two higher models are better than AIO significantly and can receive external clock input to further improve the sonics.

However, RME soundcards are not compatible with DSD file playback.

SEA

Apr 14, 2015
I have never heard the RME AIO card but I have the RME AES32 card. I also have the Lynx AES16 and AES16e cards. I "prefer" the AES16 card overall. You'll have to find a mobo with a PCI slot to acomodate this card. I just feel it has a better user interface and to me sounds better.

No, they will not output DSD signals.

Since it doesn't have any converters, how does it sound better?

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing