From Avalon to ???

Pierre

Jun 18, 2012
Denmark
Hello

I have been a Avalon owner for about 4 years now (Transcendent for the last 2 years)....... I love alot about these speakers, but there is one thing that i have begone missing in the sound.
The soundstage is perfect and the dynamics, but i miss fullnes in the sound. I would`n say that they are thind in the sound, but the still lack some richtness from the upper midrange and down.

If i should go for another speaker with all the characters of Avalon, but with more ritchness and fuller midtrange, with should that be ?

I own Pass Labs XA100,5 - Hovland HP200p - Eera Tentation - TW Raven One/ Kuzma 4 point/ Lyra Titan i - Cardas Clear - Shunyata power - DaaD acoustic

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
Have you tried Rowland research electronics?

Pierre

Jun 18, 2012
Denmark
Have you tried Rowland research electronics?

Nope..... There is`nt a dealer of Rowland in Denmark.
And i`m not interested in changeing the eletronic, because i think/ know that my "problem" is in the speaker ;)

FrantzM

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Nope..... There is`nt a dealer of Rowland in Denmark.
And i`m not interested in changeing the eletronic, because i think/ know that my "problem" is in the speaker ;)

Sonus Faber...

Peter Breuninger

[Industry Expert] Member Sponsor
Jul 20, 2010
The YG Kipods and the Moon Audio integrated amp was the standout system for me and my reviewer at the shows in 2012. I would try the YG if you are looking to fill out the chest in a singer. The Wilson Alexia is also to to be demoed for right sizing the lower chest in vocals. Avalons can indeed pinpoint the image and you can adjust amps (to your liking) but Spectral is the known "handshake" and shows off the Avalon signature sound.

Short List: YG, Wilson.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Sonus Faber...

We agree on this one. I will write a model - the Amati Futura. They spent a few weeks in my listening room and everyone who listened loved them. In Europe they are a bargain, costing significantly less than US imports such as the Sasha's. They have a tilted down balance, if your room is very absorbing in the high frequencies they can sound veiled if not compensated elsewhere in the chain. But in the typical danish decor they sound great!

My preferred finish is the black graffiti with polished metal tops and bottoms. I have no experience with Cardas Clear cables, but some people report a good synergy with Sonus Faber speakers. The Pass XA100 should be powerful enough for them - although this will depend on room and listening habits.

FrantzM

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
We agree on this one. I will write a model - the Amati Futura. They spent a few weeks in my listening room and everyone who listened loved them. In Europe they are a bargain, costing significantly less than US imports such as the Sasha's. They have a tilted down balance, if your room is very absorbing in the high frequencies they can sound veiled if not compensated elsewhere in the chain. But in the typical danish decor they sound great!

My preferred finish is the black graffiti with polished metal tops and bottoms. I have no experience with Cardas Clear cables, but some people report a good synergy with Sonus Faber speakers. The Pass XA100 should be powerful enough for them - although this will depend on room and listening habits.

We always do :D ...

I don't think YG speakers are similar in sonic signature to Avalon's. Another way to put it: They are not from the same shool of thought. SF is closer match. A step in a less polite, less gentle sound. it is not that Avalon is lacking in weight it seems to be too reticent in the foundation of music. IMHO it is more a description of what goes there than a real attempt at reproduction.
SF does that. In spade while maintaining many of the attributes of Avalon. I personally prefer SF to Avalon.. A broad generalization as I have not heard all Avalon models nor SF for that matter.
My personal preference would however go toward Magico, YG, Rockport, Von Shweikert or Revel... but to my ears the closest to Avalon but IMO, superior is SF.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Hi Pierre,

I would try Verity's Parsifal or Von Schweikert's VR-5 Anniversary. :)

edorr

WBF Founding Member
May 10, 2010
Smyrna, GA
Hi Pierre,

I would try Verity's Parsifal or Von Schweikert's VR-5 Anniversary. :)

I went from verity Parsifal to Avalon eidolon vision, and preferred the eidolons. However, the verity has more of the "warmth" in the midrange you are looking for. I think your would need to go up the verity range and get the sarastros II to best the eidolons though.

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
I'd have to agree with Peter and Frantz. I've had many speakers in here, including the ISIS. My current speaker, the Alexia will give you what you're missing. My other fav are the SF speakers. Like you, I also have the Pass XA .5 series amps.

jazdoc

Member Sponsor
Aug 7, 2010
Bellevue
Pierre,

You've gotten some fine recommendations but my advice is to hurry...and do nothing.

Don't do anything until you are comfortable you've done everything to optimize what you already have. Is your analog set-up nuts on? Are your speakers dialed in? Are all connections clean and secure?

An honest, but tactful analog buddy can be extremely helpful and worth treating to good food and scotch (after helping out :D).

Good luck!

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
I think whats missing is a papercomposite midrange , the alu oxide sounds less full /natural compared to the best paper composite ones , the one magico uses sounds also full natural although its not paper
For example wilson /earlier YG s ?(with the scanspeak revalator mids ) ariel acoustics
Wilson puppy 7 /magico V 3 is what i would buy secondhand :D coming from avalon

Last edited:

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
I went from verity Parsifal to Avalon eidolon vision, and preferred the eidolons. However, the verity has more of the "warmth" in the midrange you are looking for. I think your would need to go up the verity range and get the sarastros II to best the eidolons though.

Eidolon yes I agree, Transcendent not as high up IMO.

Robert

Nov 10, 2010
Have you tried repositioning the speakers by making them wider, pointing them straight forward, or moving them closer to the back wall?

Another option is to try the Elrod Power Cords. Their sonic quality is enhanced lower midrange fullness and definition.

What about moving up the Avalon line? Once your mind becomes accustomed to the coherency, tonality, and holographic imaging of Avalon, it's hard to find something that satisfies on those qualities.

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
Sorry i had the impression you had opus or eidolons , thus ceramic mids !!

more warmth ?, eidolon maybe which has a bit more bass and may sound somewhat fuller , although i wouldnt call it exxelent bass.
I would say kharma 1,3 diamond enigma , it is better in my opinion then the eidolon transparent wise and has much much more bass extension , i actually would say it had the best bass from any speaker i heard anywhere at any price until today.
Sometimes a design just clicks and that one does it in my opinion both the woofers used are the same as far as i know , eidolon versus kharma.
To test it fully you gotto cranck up the volume a bit

i ll be using it plus a 13 inch eton just to be on the safe side :D

PS sorry the model i mentioned isnt sold new anymore , second hand ??

Last edited:

Pierre

Jun 18, 2012
Denmark
Thanks for the many suggestions. I have one concern about Sonus Faber speakers....
I dont think that they will match my Pass Labs XA100,5 :confused:

Pass is laidback and SF is also, or am i wrong?

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
Thanks for the many suggestions. I have one concern about Sonus Faber speakers....

I know my Pass didn't have enough juice for the ISIS speakers. SF is a great match for Pass amps.

Frank750

VIP/Donor
Jul 8, 2011

While I was trying to decide on a new amplifier for my Sonus Faber speakers, I used my dealer's XA100.5 and it easily drove my speakers and sounded great. I ended up purchasing the XS300 but could have easily lived with the XA100.5.
My speakers are The Sonus Faber or as they were initially named, Fenice.

And the combination is anything but laid back! I've heard that before and have no idea where it comes from.

Pierre

Jun 18, 2012
Denmark
Hello agin :)

Sonus Faber Amati Futura is the first speaker i`m planning to demo. Just wating for the dealer to get them home for demo.....

But i have one question about placment. Do they require a lot of space - What is the minimun distiance from backwall?

My room is 4meters by 5meters and 3meters to seeling, wooden floor with a big carpet and brick wall. I`m using DaaD acoustic in the corners behind the speaker.
Would a set of Amati Futura work in my room ?

Pierre

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Hello agin :)

Sonus Faber Amati Futura is the first speaker i`m planning to demo. Just wating for the dealer to get them home for demo.....

But i have one question about placment. Do they require a lot of space - What is the minimun distiance from backwall?

My room is 4meters by 5meters and 3meters to seeling, wooden floor with a big carpet and brick wall. I`m using DaaD acoustic in the corners behind the speaker.
Would a set of Amati Futura work in my room ?

Pierre

Great. The dimensions are very good for the Futura - I have listened to them in a very similar space. As far as I remember Sumiko advise that room treatments should be removed during speaker positioning and only re-inserted after the speakers are in their optimum place.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing