Ear protection for concerts

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
Looking for recommendations for ear plugs that drop the dB level but maintain most of the frequency response...I have some loud concerts coming up this summer. TIA.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
I use etymotic plugs

Bill Hart

May 11, 2012
Christian, I also use the Etymotics plugs, they have no battery, they cost about 12 bucks on Amazon, in different sizes. They are supposed to be 'high fidelity' but they really mute the sound- but the alternative of going naked is worse for obvious reasons. I used them last week at SX. They kind of screw in to your ear- snug fit, which is nice, compared to the cheap foam give-away type that always fall out. In the clutch, I simply use tissue paper.

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
Christian, I also use the Etymotics plugs, they have no battery, they cost about 12 bucks on Amazon, in different sizes. They are supposed to be 'high fidelity' but they really mute the sound- but the alternative of going naked is worse for obvious reasons. I used them last week at SX. They kind of screw in to your ear- snug fit, which is nice, compared to the cheap foam give-away type that always fall out. In the clutch, I simply use tissue paper.

Thanks Bill, but I am looking for hi-fidelity and dB cut. The one's in the link above may be the ticket albeit pricey at $400.00

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines

GaryProtein

VIP/Donor
Jul 25, 2012
NY
Christian, my flutist daughter has the musician type sound attenuators that have custom ear moulds made by an audiologist. I believe she has the passive Etymotic with the custom ear moulds.

saswata1975

Mar 2, 2013
www.speeddatingcities.com
Yes, definitely. I always carry earplugs with me to concerts since you never know how loud it's going to be where you are sitting. My son does the same thing. This is especially true if your family has a history of hearing problems. As I'm sure you already know, hearing damage never repairs.

Don't worry what other people think - your hearing is too valuable to lose at a young age.

Bill Hart

May 11, 2012
I know some of my hearing has degraded simply due to age. I was never one to sit near the PA system in the old days, because I didn't like getting blasted, but the db levels at most shows are too high. As a study in contrast, we went to hear Etta James some years ago at Carnegie Hall. Susan Tedeshi opened, and overwhelmed the room, to the point where the sound was a blur, you couldn't hear anything- just loud noise. By contrast, when Etta's band came on, to warm up before she took the stage, it was soft, full, rich and just right. You could hear everything.

I find the biggest difficulty these days has to do with ambient noise, e.g. in restaurants where the acoustics are bad, and everybody is shouting, I can't really hear the person next to me.
When I'm in a quiet room, listening over the hi-fi and have control over extraneous noise, I don't listen terribly loud. I believe that my sense of what sounds 'right' tonally, and qualitatively, makes up for whatever hearing loss I have suffered as a result of aging.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing