Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC

TBone

Nov 15, 2012
So many "Canadian sounding" questions ...

yes Canadian sound. i found them to have similar characteristics. Not unpleasant though.

Can you describe this "Canadian Sound" in terms of "not unpleasant characteristics"?

Do Bryston electronics sound similar in "characteristics" as Sim & Classe? What about turntables, does an Oracle have the same "characteristics" as TTW. What about all the many Canadian speakers, do they ALL have the same "characteristics" as say Totem. Did the original API speakers (Energy, Mirage) retain their sound after Klipsch. Did they sound like a Paradigm; then or now?

When did this so-called "Canadian sound" transpire ... did it happen post Dave Reich or John Tchilinguirian?

And if Canadian gear has a family "characteristics", what about US gear, or British, or German ... can you please describe their "characteristics" ...

tb1

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
Sounds exhausting. I take it you are skeptic about the Canadian sound?

TBone

Nov 15, 2012
I take it you are skeptic about the Canadian sound?

Not at all, and I'm a Canadian who's got ACTUAL long term knowledge on many Canadian products.

I've been around these parts long enough to realize that any generalist conclusion about a "Canadian sound" and "it's not so unpleasant characteristics" has little true meaning. But that's me, in my travels no such "Canadian sound" exist. Yet, you claim otherwise, so I asked for clarification ... which perhaps you can provide; if your not too tired?

tb1

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
As a Canadian you'll be glad there is an all Bryston system available.Ii know I am. I'll save the rest of the bandwidth

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
I am pretty sure I'll regret digging up this bone. That has never stopped me before.

I have yet to encounter the uncolored audio device. I should nit have to point out that I have come nowhere close to hearing all the audio devices available in America, Japan, Europe or anywhere else for that matter. My experience with the sound of audio equipment is on a par with any other long term audiophile.\

I don't live in Canada . As a general proposition usually the better products produced in a particular country are targeted for export. Mediocrity usually remains local. For example i am sure there are other brands of audio in Korea but Allnic seems to excel and therefore is exported to Canada and USA at least. Despite being a fine product it does have a sonic signature.
We can agree I hope that manufacturers have product li s that share positive and negative attributes. This is the result of design philosophy and price point constraints. We can assume a certain sound based on the brand name. HP even opined that the sonic quality of certain amps and preamps. For example conrad johnson had a certain golden hue similar to the color of its' faceplate. In contrast the audio research had a whitish sound consistent with it's face plate.
While it talks about listener preference rather than manufacturer design Sean Olive suggests there may cultural preference based on nationality. http://www.whatsbestforum.com/showt...al-Preferences-in-Quality-of-Reproduced-Sound
It is important to point out that I am sixty years old now. I operate on conclusions I have come to and do not carry proof around in my head. If I say I think Mercedes is the best car I simply am not going to be able to produce an exhaustive survey of every car I owned drove or evaluated. Nor would anyone reasonably expect me too.
I've owned one Canadian based product. I've heard several others at shows and stores. IMO the electronics had a similar signature. Ironically it a kind of grayish sound resembling the face color of some of the equipment. I do note thiere is a National facility available to aid in the design of audio products. Assuming the manufactuers take advantage of it that may account for some consistency amongst products That's my opinion. I suppose i could go back and list all the companies. all the reviews and visit the dealers in my area and try to make a case, Who does that except professionals.?
I am sure there are many who have more experience with Canadian equipment than I.IIam equally sure there are those who disagree, Is that not always the case?

I was excited by the prospect of an all Bryston system and think others should be also. That's the point .

Fast/Forward

Aug 21, 2011
Mississauga, On
No need to have regrets for digging up the t-bone.
As another Canadian with long term experience with a number of Canadian audio products I took no offense with your generalization of a "Canadian" sound and felt I understood the "spirit" of your post. I do agree with the premise that brands do have signature sounds as you pointed out regarding HP's opinions on Conrad Johnson and Audio Research products and have noticed with their earlier products that each brand had it's own signature. As a long term Bryston owner with an amplifier sixteen years out of warranty (that's thirty six years old) and another newer amp (still under warranty) I have recognized a "Bryston" sound. If there is a "Canadian" sound it may have to associated with the anechoic test chamber in Ottawa. It may be my own generalization that the different companies using the same test facility might have indirectly fine tuned their speaker products to perform well in the same space resulting in a similar sonic signature. From my experience I can't say if all anechoic chambers sound the same. ;)
Perhaps at the current TAVES event I may ask James Tanner to play a good sounding West German CD of mine to see if it changes the systems accent.
It was unfortunate that a generalization left you vulnerable and too easy a target. I wonder if Tbone managed to read as far as your signature?;)

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
Thanks for the kind words..

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing