Specific question for BADA USB converter users.

asindc

Sep 27, 2012
What lengths of USB and SDPIF cables do you use? I'm trying to decide between the BADA and the Audiophilleo w/PurePower converters. One of the issues is how much will i have to spend in cables to get optimum sound. BADA advises 1.5 meters for both cables, which contradicts conventional wisdom with regard to having the USB cable as short as possible. If I ignore BADA's advice, I could buy a 0.3m USB cable with a 0.5 meter AES/EBU cable, which would be more comparable in price to the two 0.3m USB cables I could use on the Audiophilleo.

I'd rather have higher quality shorter cables than longer less effective cables. I would also prefer the shorter cables because they would be easier to install in my planned setup. For those who use shorter lengths on the BADA than what they advise, have you tried the 1.5m lengths before deciding on the shorter cables? I'd like to get the impressions of those who have used/are using the BADA USB converter and have used shorter lengths than advised. This is not a general question about cable lengths, about which there are already several threads on various websites.*

*I have cross-posted this at computeraudiophile.com.

dallasjustice

Member Sponsor
Apr 12, 2011
Dallas, Texas
The length of the USB cable is not important. The length of the AES cable can be important. The longer the better. They recommend 1.5m. But there's nothing wrong with going even longer. I use a 2 meter AES cable; MIT Oracle MA-X AES. The whole idea is that the shorter spdif cables will have reflections that are more offensive; signal correlated jitter. Whereas, the longer spdif cables effectively delay the reflected signal, which makes the reflected signal more random. In the case of the Berekeley, it really won't matter that much though. The BADA USB is a very well engineered product. The AES output is designed to absorb much of the reflected signal as possible; high "return loss." Some of this will also depend on your DAC. If your DAC has a well designed AES receiver/pulse trafo, it will also greatly reduce the reflected signal; it helps if it's actually 110 ohms.

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Well said. I tested a couple of cables with the Berkeley and could not see any difference in my jitter measurements. BTW, the Berkeley is cleaner than Audiophilleo. Here is a sample comparison:

Berkeley is in blue, audiophilleo in yellow. As you see the Berkeley has lower amount of noise (the shoulder around the main signal spike) and does not put out those two jitter spikes. I tested them with a number of other DACs/AVRs/Processors and the signature was different with each outboard device but in all cases, the Berkeley was the cleanest.

junker

Mar 28, 2013
Thank you for posting that plot.

Just curious when you say that you tried different cables where they different types, and/or different lengths?

Did you notice any additional jitter with <1.5m cables? The reason I ask is the BADA USB chassis would sit right on the USB chassis and would not need more than 0.3m.

Well said. I tested a couple of cables with the Berkeley and could not see any difference in my jitter measurements. BTW, the Berkeley is cleaner than Audiophilleo. Here is a sample comparison:

Berkeley is in blue, audiophilleo in yellow. As you see the Berkeley has lower amount of noise (the shoulder around the main signal spike) and does not put out those two jitter spikes. I tested them with a number of other DACs/AVRs/Processors and the signature was different with each outboard device but in all cases, the Berkeley was the cleanest.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing