Win Research subwoofer designed as a companion for SM-10 & SM-8?

TerryNYC

Mar 15, 2013
NYC
Hi all,

Does anyone have any data about this product? There is very little online about any of the excellent Win products and I have found nothing so far about this one. The SM-10 & SM-8 were extraordinary, thus my interest in the companion subwoofer. Thanks in advance for your help.

Terry

Gary

Apr 7, 2013
Hi all,

Does anyone have any data about this product? There is very little online about any of the excellent Win products and I have found nothing so far about this one. The SM-10 & SM-8 were extraordinary, thus my interest in the companion subwoofer. Thanks in advance for your help.

Terry

Yes, I have a pair of SM 8 speakers. I have listened to the SM 10's, they are both wonderful. I had been to Dr. Win's shop in Santa Barbra and seen how they are made. I have his turntable plus his strain gauge cartridge.

Gary

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
When was this Gary? Where is the mysterious Dr. Sao Win these days?

Gary

Apr 7, 2013
Hi all,

Terry

Hey Terry,

The only subwoofer I have found that mated well with the SM-8's is the Kinergetics SW-800C. The SM-8's are fast and the bass sounds like
a planer but only goes down about 45-50 hrtz, depending on the room size. The SW-800's are built to mate with the Martin Logan CLS speakers.
These subs are fast and with 5-10in woofers on each side can go down to 25-30 hrtz. I had a pair of CLS 2z's and amazed at the sound with the subs.

Gary

Gary

Apr 7, 2013
Terry,

Yes I have the Kinerfetics Sw-800C system but not hooked up now. I am not sure where Sao is or if he is still alive.
He was located in Gaviota just north of Santa Barbra, CA

Gary

TerryNYC

Mar 15, 2013
NYC
Gary,

Thanks for the info. Dr Win does seem to have vanished. I know at one point he released a subwoofer to match w/ the SM-10 & SM-8 but so far have found no info about it. I'm working on a history project, thus the interest.

Thanks again,
Terry

puroagave

Member Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
Yes, I have a pair of SM 8 speakers. I have listened to the SM 10's, they are both wonderful. I had been to Dr. Win's shop in Santa Barbra and seen how they are made. I have his turntable plus his strain gauge cartridge.

Gary

i was at Dr Win's 'skunk works' about 20-yrs ago. i went with a friend who was consulting Dr win on improving the sm 8/sm 10 driver. as i recall it was a concentric speaker with a flat diaphram? it wouldnt surprise me if Thilo helped with the subwoofer as he's a recognized expert and guru on long-throw woofers with patents of his own. Thilo can be contacted at tcsounds.com

TerryNYC

Mar 15, 2013
NYC
Many thanks. I remember Dr Win's speakers as exceptional, and am hoping to get details on the subwoofer. I'll certainly try Thilo. Thanks again.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
If it's for a history project on Dr Sao Win, you might try to also get in touch with Peter at Soundsmith.

TerryNYC

Mar 15, 2013
NYC
Actually it's a history of modern design. However as the conventional histories get it almost entirely wrong with regards to consumer electronics I am paying special attention in this area and in particular with high-fidelity.

Gary

Apr 7, 2013
Hi all,

Terry

Terry and Jack D20,
As far as the SM-8 it was the replacement for the SM-10. It uses the same cabinet but has been modified to the two speakers. Sao
was having problems getting the duel concentric speakers from the manufacturer. The shipments were almost non existent. Because
he was worried it might happen again he came up with the new design for the 8in woofer. It indeed was a flat plate made of wood
that was pressed composite. Sao got with the US Forest Service patent for the making of their out buildings, this way no one could use the design.
There was a dealer in Sana Barbara that sold the SM-10's, from what I heard it didn't need a subwoofer. The bass went down to, my guess, around 30 htz. All this information came from Sao just before I bought the SM-8's. Maybe someone else has more from the horses mouth?
By the way I am located just north of Sacramento, CA
Gary

TerryNYC

Mar 15, 2013
NYC
Gary, thanks for the info. the Audio Critic measured response indicted a higher -3dB point, and Sao Win's announcement then of a forthcoming subwoofer (right when I dropped out of audio) lead me to believe one was designed & released. I also think I remember someone telling me about a TAS or similar review of one. I'm slowly wading through the complete sets of English-language audio journals (Audio, Audio Critic complete; now on TAS; plenty more after that) so I'm bound to find it sooner or later. I'm just still really surprised at some of the great engineers & physicists and their products that are now forgotten Best, Terry NYC

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing