Samsung Galaxy S4 released

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Looks more attractive to me than the S3. Specs are of course pushed to the max. As expected, the 5 inch 1080p display is becoming the standard.

http://reviews.cnet.com/samsung-galaxy-s4/

See the video in the above link.

"If you're looking for Samsung's new Galaxy S4 to define a novel new era of smartphone greatness, it's time to temper your expectations. The brand-new flagship smartphone, which runs the latest Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean, improves hardware significantly and it piles on the features. Compared with the extremely successful Galaxy S3 that came before, it's a firm stride forward rather than a giant a leap, but it raises the bar again for Samsung's competitors. And by super-sizing the screen and packing in so much specialized software, the GS4 sets itself even farther apart from the iPhone.

The Galaxy S4 handset steadily draws from the same design language as the S3, but takes almost every spec to an extreme -- the screen is larger (5 inches), the resolution greater (1080p), the battery capacity higher (2,600mAh), the processor faster (1.9GHz quad-core or 1.6GHz octa-core), and the rear-facing camera stuffed with more megapixels (13, to be exact). But, once you've gone through the features checklist (which also includes lots of internal and external storage space and RAM), it's the software extras that Samsung continues to lean on to keep its phones one step ahead of the competition.

The problem is, based on my brief time with the Galaxy S4, very few of the extensive list of enhancements stood out as a killer, must-have, cannot-possibly-live-without feature. The TV control app that works with the IR blaster is perhaps one exception (the HTC One has this, too), as are a handy translation tool and eye-tracking and gesture capabilities that allow you to pause a video when you stop paying attention and let you hover your finger over an item to preview what it is. Many other software additions are semi-interesting ideas that some power users may enjoy once they've figured them out, but which will hardly convince a prospective buyer to pick the GS4 over, for instance, the HTC One, Nokia Lumia 920, or iPhone 5."

Keith_W

Mar 31, 2012
Melbourne, Australia
www.whatsbestforum.com
This is a truly amazing piece of hardware, Amir. Take a look at this:

Note that the S4 is almost 1mm shorter than the S3, AND it is 1.1mm thinner. Within this smaller and thinner package, they have crammed a physically larger screen (5" vs. 4.8") with a higher resolution, a much larger battery, and a faster CPU. Depending on the market, the buyer will either get a 1.8GHz clocked Snapdragon (probably a Snapdragon 600?) or an eight core Exynos 5. Benchmarks on other phones have already shown the Snapdragon 600 to completely and utterly trounce any other previous generation smartphone out there you would care to name, even fruity ones. It continues to offer SD card expansion and a removable battery, which can now be charged wirelessly. All this, and they have kept the weight the same as the S3 (130g).

However the phone does continue Samsung's ugly styling and all plastic construction. I will reserve judgement on the build quality until I actually hold one, but if it is the same as the S3 it will be a definite no for me.

This is a tremendously engineered phone. I can appreciate it at an intellectual level, just not at an aesthetic one. I don't think I will buy one ... HTC One for me this year i'm afraid.

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
As you, I really like the look of my HTC and won't consider this. It is interesting that they have achieved this level of success while leaving behind what Apple cherishes: great look of the housing. Maybe people care more about what is inside those 5 inches :).

More useful info here: http://www.anandtech.com/show/6832/samsungs-galaxy-s-4-introduction-hands-on

The gap on specs relative to iPhone is growing fast. Apple will likely have to respond much faster than they used to. Wonder if they will struggle to keep up with the CPU trends here. Partnering with Intel may make sense if the rumors are right....

Elberoth

Member Sponsor
Dec 15, 2012
Poland
They had to push for specs, as Android is much more resource wasting than iOS.

iPhone may have a lower spec processor and still works much smoother and as a result gives the customer a better user experience.

I'm also not sure about the HD display, as 440ppi far beyond perception treshold of human eye (I believe the limit is 300ppi) and only leads to increased load on system resources and higher power consumption.

IMO Samsung sould have rather worked on the display quality (brightnes and contrast) and a precision with which the display is able to sense and track your finger, as that is where the iPhone has a clear advantage.

I'm not even talking about the poor design and build quality.

Disclaimer: Nokia E7 user.

asiufy

Industry Expert/VIP Donor
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
I'm with you, I'd rather have a 4" screen with 300dpi than a 5" with 440dpi.
The HTC One is pretty slick, solidly built. And the screen is indeed impressive. From what I've seen, HTC's tacky UI is better than Samsung's extra-tacky UI, both laid on top of Android. If Android wasn't slow enough, these brands keep adding these flourishes that end up slowing down things further.
And all that software crap that Samsung demonstrated, it was either already on display in MWC 2013 (Barcelona) by Samsung or LG. Nothing new there. They just put all the junk they could think of in the same box.

alexandre

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
Investors Give Samsung Galaxy S4 Thumbs Down

By Ansuya Harjani | CNBC

While Samsung Electronics' (Korea Stock Exchange: 593-KR) latest iPhone challenger, the Galaxy S4 with its range of gimmicky features including motion tracking technology, was the talk of the day, investors sold off shares of the company on Friday following the launch of the highly-awaited gadget.
Shares of the world's largest smartphone maker declined 2.6 percent to 1.48 million won ($1,334) in Seoul, but analysts were not worried saying the market had already priced in the hype and a similar movement in the company's shares followed the launch of the Galaxy S3 last year, as well.

"This is selling on the news as most of the features were already highly anticipated. There wasn't much positive surprise. Most of it was leaked already - the screen size, processor, smart pause and eye scrolling - a few days ago," said Mark Newman, an analyst at Stanford Bernstein.
The Galaxy S4 sports a 5-inch screen, compared to the iPhone 5's 4-inch screen, and offers functions including 'Smart Scroll,' which enables users to scroll without touching the screen. It tracks the users' face to tell where they are looking.
The stock has had a positive run over the past one month in anticipation of the new product, and Friday's selloff could just be profit taking, said analysts.

Samsung's stock has risen 11 percent over the past six months compared to rival Apple's share price that has fallen 37 percent over the same period.
Ron Suh, equity research associate at Macquarie, said that the "selloff will be short-lived and the shares should bounce back up."
He added that his 12-month target for Samsung's stock price to hit 2.3 million won remains in place, which is an upside of 55 percent from current levels.
Another reason why analysts are not concerned about the dip in the share price is because expectations for sales of the new smartphone are running high. Macquarie, for example, is forecasting Galaxy S4 sales to average 20 million per quarter in 2013, compared to around 15 million for the Galaxy S3 last quarter.

Tech experts believe Samsung's latest offering, which will go on sale in April, will offer fierce competition for rival Apple.
"You can argue the S3 has already done some damage to Apple, it was a very successful device, and the S4 is probably going to follow in its steps," said Van L. Baker, research vice president, mobility at Gartner.
Market research firm IDC on Friday said that Galaxy S4 has the potential to outsell the next generation of iPhone, Dow Jones reported.
With the Apple's iPhone 5S expected to launch in June or July, Samsung will also enjoy an exclusive period of several months with minimal competition in the high-end segment, IDC said.
Samsung's global smartphone market share stood at 35 percent in the third quarter of 2012, double that of Apple's at 17 percent.

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
They had to push for specs, as Android is much more resource wasting than iOS.
That used to be the case but no longer. My HTC DNA flies. It has zero latency. The performance of the CPU has far exceeded the OS requirements already. What is being offered from here on is to advance game play, and other high CPU usage apps. There, the OS is not even in the path for the most part.

Apple will need to keep up. Consumers have been educated on specs partially because of Apple itself pushing such things as screen resolution and now falling behind in the same category. And partially because the Android guys have done a good job of sensitizing the customer to it. I suspect this is behind the rumors of Apple working with Intel on the processor. It will have a hard time otherwise keeping up with combined force of everyone else innovating there. Apple had that problem before using IBM Power CPUs and had to switch to Intel for its computers....

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
I'm also not sure about the HD display, as 440ppi far beyond perception treshold of human eye (I believe the limit is 300ppi) and only leads to increased load on system resources and higher power consumption.
It is not about that. It is about the fact that I can open this page in my HTC and see it without zooming or panning even in portrait mode!!! Most of the time I am not interested in reading the fix text in a web page. I want to say, go got the contact page and see where the company is. Such tabs are large and can easily be seen as we see them on our computers. Ditto for large images and such. It is very liberating beyond words can describe. It is like having 4 kids and living in one bed room apartment and then moving to one with four :).

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
I suppose price is contract dependent.

Keith_W

Mar 31, 2012
Melbourne, Australia
www.whatsbestforum.com
That used to be the case but no longer.

I would concur with this. If you have a new Android handset - any mid-tier phone made within the last year, there is no such thing as lag. OTOH my wife's iPhone 4 has just been upgraded to iOS 6.1. The thing lags like crazy. When it was new, it was nowhere near as slow as this. She suspects that Apple has deliberately crippled the performance of her phone to nudge her to upgrade. She is now thinking of moving to Android ... which will be a pity, since it's nice to have one iOS device at home so I can keep an eye on how much further behind they are lagging.

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
that happened to my first gen Andriod too. Two updates later and the bugs were fixed but performance became unacceptable...

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
It's par for the course for any computer. :(

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing